addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Madison Area Vegetarian Meetup Group Message Board Meetup › Delicious Vegan Desserts - Input Request

Delicious Vegan Desserts - Input Request

Dave
dvandelay
Middleton, WI
Post #: 113
I've scheduled a "Delicious Vegan Desserts - Cooking Lesson" meetup for June 13th. Cara Moseley-Meadow, the amazing dessert chef at The Green Owl, will be teaching us.

Click here to view the event page.

Before we finalize the details, we'd like to get input from people who are interested in attending...
  • Are there specific desserts you'd like to learn to make?
  • Are there specific vegan cooking issues you'd like to learn (effective egg substitutes, for example)?

Please post your thoughts by replying here.

Thanks,
Dave
Tammy
user 4543074
Madison, WI
Post #: 1
I would love to know more about ingredients that go into vegan desserts, and I would love to know more about ingredients in general: which ingredients accomplish certain goals (e.g., leavening, emulsifying, sweetening, adding bulk, etc.), and which ingredients go well together, either traditionally (fruit and chocolate) or in unexpected ways (spice and chocolate?). I hope we'd be able to see her put something together and taste it as well. Oh, it would also be nice to learn about garnishes.

Thanks!
A former member
I'd be most interested in learning about presentation! I make lots of vegan desserts (and oftentimes I'm trying to impress omnis, hehe), and although they generally taste pretty darn good, I'd love tips on how to make them *look* super impressive. It'd be great to learn about garnishing, plating... that sort of thing.
A former member
I'm interested in gluten/wheat free, raw, and vegan.
A former member
Post #: 3
I'm with Tammy!
Marjorie Van H.
user 11172910
Madison, WI
Bob's on a restricted sugar/vegan diet--I'd like recipes with agave or brown rice syrup as the sweetener(s).
Margie
Rachel
racheljpfeiffer
Madison, WI
Post #: 2
This event is a great idea! I'm in love with all the desserts I have at the Green Owl! I'm particularly interested in the key lime pie and the mint cheesecake that they had for St. Patrick's Day. The presentation is always beautiful, so I'd also like to learn more about that.
A former member
I'm especially interested in the chocolate tart that we had at the Green Owl meetup - that was outstanding and I'd love to know what created that incredible texture.
A former member
I would love to learn how to make a really good "cheese" cake, or really any kind of special occasion desserts. This was a great idea for a meetup!
A former member
Post #: 15
Oooh, I'm excited! I'd like to learn more about garnishing and decorating!