- Bites for Better Health - A Wellness & Weight Loss Event - THIS Saturday!
This Saturday April 27! Bring your friends and family who need to hear the plant-based message! KEYNOTE SPEAKER is Josh LaJaunie, formerly a 420lb couch potato who lost 200 lbs on a plant-based diet and is now and ultra-marathon runner! TURN YOUR PLATE INTO YOUR POWER SOURCE! Please join some inspiring health pros & plant-based experts in HOUSTON at BITES for BETTER HEALTH – A Wellness & Weight Loss Event. SATURDAY, April 27 from 9am to 3:30pm (near Beltway 8 & Westpark Tollway.) Get your ticket here (just $59 for up to 7 sessions; and a couple discount of $20 off a pair - enter COUPLES for the discount code) INCLUDES a free delicious plant-based lunch) REGISTER HERE: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/bites-for-better-health-tickets-58194781157?aff=MU1 Event price on the day is $95 per ticket. In advance > $59. 🍉🍇🍑🥒🍎🍆🍊🥦🍅🍠🥭🥝🌶🍋🍠🍈🥕🍏 Imagine if there was a way to lose weight without feeling deprived, and still eat a colorful array of delicious, colorful foods (including carbs!) Imagine waking up energized, feeling lighter in your step, noticing that joint pains diminish. Imagine watching biomarkers like cholesterol and hypertension decrease, and health conditions like acne, allergies, arthritis, gout, many auto-immune conditions and even asthma or diabetes improve—or in many cases even go away. People who have experienced these health benefits have 1 thing in common. Learn the secret to experiencing real results and lasting changes. Overcome the behaviors that hold you back. Discover the steps to changing your health and your weight permanently and how to close the gap between where you are and where you want to be • Dramatically increase your energy • Discover how fiber & nutrient density are the key to health & healthy weight loss • Learn secrets to peak effectiveness from exercise • Discover the 3 steps to change unhealthy habits • Master the skills of strategic supermarket shopping • Dramatically increase your understanding about protein • Expand your options when planning meals • Learn 7 steps to lasting change • Tools to empower you to make healthy choices • Perfect opportunity to bring family and friends who could benefit from a plant-based diet! 🍉🍇🍑🥒🍎🍆🍊🥦🍅🍠🥭🥝🌶🍋🍠🍈🥕🍏 WHERE? At 5959 Corporate Drive, Houston TX 77036 - near Beltway 8 and Westpark Tollway WHEN? Saturday April 27 from 9am to 3:30pm (Check-in starts at 8:15am) * Free plant-based lunch included in the price of your ticket
- Bites for Better Health - A Wellness & Weight Loss Event
TURN YOUR PLATE INTO YOUR POWER SOURCE! Please join me and other health pros & plant-based experts in HOUSTON at BITES for BETTER HEALTH – A Wellness & Weight Loss Event. SATURDAY, April 27 from 9am to 3:3pm (near Beltway 8 & Westpark Tollway.) Get your ticket here (Early Bird tickets in effect now - just $49 for up to 7 sessions and a free delicious plant-based lunch is included): https://www.eventbrite.com/e/bites-for-better-health-tickets-58194781157?aff=MU1 🍉🍇🍑🥒🍎🍆🍊🥦🍅🍠🥭🥝🌶🍋🍠🍈🥕🍏 Imagine if there was a way to lose weight without feeling deprived, and still eat a colorful array of delicious, colorful foods (including carbs!) Imagine waking up energized, feeling lighter in your step, noticing that joint pains diminish. Imagine watching biomarkers like cholesterol and hypertension decrease, and health conditions like acne, allergies, arthritis, gout, many auto-immune conditions and even asthma or diabetes improve—or in many cases even go away. People who have experienced these health benefits have 1 thing in common. Learn the secret to experiencing real results and lasting changes. Overcome the behaviors that hold you back. Discover the steps to changing your health and your weight permanently and how to close the gap between where you are and where you want to be • Dramatically increase your energy • Discover how fiber & nutrient density are the key to health & healthy weight loss • Learn secrets to peak effectiveness from exercise • Discover the 3 steps to change unhealthy habits • Master the skills of strategic supermarket shopping • Dramatically increase your understanding about protein • Expand your options when planning meals • Learn 7 steps to lasting change • Tools to empower you to make healthy choices • Perfect opportunity to bring family and friends who could benefit from a plant-based diet! 🍉🍇🍑🥒🍎🍆🍊🥦🍅🍠🥭🥝🌶🍋🍠🍈🥕🍏 WHERE? At 5959 Corporate Drive, Houston TX 77036 - near Beltway 8 and Westpark Tollway WHEN? Saturday April 27 from 9am to 3:30pm * Free plant-based lunch included in the price of your ticket
- VDH13 - Friday (not Thur) Nov 2 - VeganVotes Party at Blue Nile Ethiopian + BYOB
We already vote with our fork. This may be one of the most important elections of our lifetime. We need to rock the vegan vote! Over next 2 weeks we need to make sure we use also our vote as our voice so we can reverse recent pro-cruelty policies towards animals currently being enacted. Early voting is from Oct 22, Monday–Nov 2, Friday. We are going to have a voting celebration & vegan feast on LAST DAY of EARLY VOTING on Friday Nov 2 at new Blue Nile Ethiopian restaurant in River Oaks. If you have NOT YET voted early prior to Nov 02, please go to one of the close Early Voting Locations & vote before you come! You can go to either 1) West Gray & Waugh or 2) 610 feeder West side btw San Felipe & Westheimer [Or find the closest early voting location near you here: https://www.harrisvotes.com/EarlyVoting ABOUT THE BLUE NILE-AFTER YOU VOTE, COME EAT & PARTY & MEET NEW VEGANS (& MINGLE WITH pals!) The Blue Nile is giving us a special discount of $12.99 for the Veg Combo Platter (normally $15.99.) OR you can order other vegan dishes instead which range from $4.99 - $13.99.) Some oil-free vegan dishes will be available. IF you’ve never had Ethiopian food, it’s awesome! It’s has an Indian food feel, but the spices are different. It’s packed with nutrient-rich foods including collard greens, lentils, string beans, chick peas and other veggies. You can use a fork, but traditionally you’re meant to scoop up your food with some yummy Ethiopian sourdough, gluten-free bread called injera. It’s sort of like a spongy tortilla but made with whole grain teff. (Here’s more about it: https://www.daringgourmet.com/authentic-injera-ethiopian-flatbread/ ) The restaurant is not vegan, but has a full vegan menu. And Tina Ameblue, the Ethiopian owner of Blue Nile, is an American success story. After arriving in country, she had been working as a housekeeper for $4.25/hour. Meanwhile, friends & family kept praising her delicious food & kept insisting she should open a restaurant. She finally did & her first location of BLUE NILE, near Richmond and Fondren, was a hit. She just opened River Oaks location after repeated requests to offer her delish food inside the Loop. ***Since this is a restaurant, not a bar, KIDS ARE WELCOME (but it's indoors, so no doggies!) DRINKS: This is BYOB. Blue Nile is still awaiting approval of their liquor license for this new location. So this event is BYOB. Bring wine or liquor or beer > The Blue Nile WILL PROVIDE wine glasses or other glasses that you need if you BYOB. (And if you don’t drink, you can purchase non-alcoholic drinks from the restaurant.) VOTING: Voting starts 7am - ends 7pm. Our event is 5:30pm-11:00pm. If you have not yet voted, please go vote before at either the River Oaks early voting location at Metropolitan Center -just west of Waugh at 1475 West Gray (across from TJ Maxx); or by Galleria at the Harris Cty Public Health Dept at 2223 W Loop S Freeway (East side of 610 feeder between Westheimer and San Felipe); (For more locations: https://www.harrisvotes.com/EarlyVoting) Then come by Blue Nile (West Alabama and Audley) to eat, drink and celebrate your vegan vote! This last day of early voting ends at 7pm. Get there earlier if you can and b prepared to wait and bring several forms of ID in case they get tricky and try to deny your right to vote. WHO DO YOU VOTE FOR? It’s a no-brainer, but if you need to research it. Gget the ballot & candidates then google the choices. https://www.sos.texas.gov/elections/forms/2018-nov-sample-ballot.pdf and https://webservices.sos.state.tx.us/ballot-cert/report.aspx *Acceptable ID include (TX drivers license, passport, Military ID cardJ) or utility bill/bank statement/paycheck/govt check showing current address. PLEASE RSVP for our Vegan Votes party so restaurant can plan on numbers & have enough staff available so food comes fast! Please share. Bring friends to vote with you. Here's FB event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/179435169642200/
- VDH12 - Blue Nile Vegan Ethiopian + Vegan Wine Tasting
Spring is in the air & azaleas are exploding! So it’s time for another VEGAN POW WOW. Join this special Vegan Drinks Houston event at the new BLUE NILE Ethiopian restaurant in River Oaks. They'll be offering a vegan menu w/a special discount. Plus, we’ll try red & white wines in a vegan wine tasting hosted by the clean-crafted wine curators, SCOUT & CELLAR. There will also be free vegan beer from Karbach. Since this is a restaurant, under 21s welcome (but can't drink alcohol.) This is a ticketed event to fundraise for VDH. ABOUT THE BLUE NILE If you’ve never had Ethiopian food, it’s awesome! Has an Indian-food feel w/different spices, packed with nutrient-rich collard greens, lentils, string beans, chick peas & other Vs. Traditionally you scoop up food with an Ethiopian sourdough, GLUTEN-FREE bread called injera. (Like a spongy tortilla made with the whole grain, teff.) The restaurant is not V, but has a vegan menu. Tina Ameblue, the owner, is an American success story. She had been doing housekeeping for $4.25 /hour. Meanwhile, friends & family kept praising her home-cooking and saying she should open a restaurant. She finally did and her 1st location near Fondren was a hit. She just opened this location. Tina has been thinking about going vegan…here’s a chance to spread some vegan luv. ABOUT THE WINE TASTING A new wine curator, Scout & Cellar, who offer clean-crafted wines will be sharing 3 vegan red and white wines with us during a special tasting. (In case you didn’t know that wine could not be vegan, yes, some wines (and other drinks) are processed using animal products. Some use albumin from egg whites, isinglass – a substance from dried fish bladders and/or casein from dairy.) Scout & Cellar seeks wines from all over the world that abide by a whole list of ‘clean-crafted’ criteria, including that they do not use synthetic pesticides, are low in sulfites (so, you’re less likely to get a wine-induced headache), and they don't have added sugars or added chemicals from a list of 250 commonly-used additives. We will try 3 different vegan wines with our wine educator, Michelle Connell. After the tasting, there will be an opportunity to order wine (birthday or Xmas gifts?) TICKETS Since Vegan Drinks Houston started in 2016, all VDH events have been FREE and, in some cases, free beer was provided. The operating expenses do add up. So this event is a fundraiser to cover some costs. Tickets $15 adults. ($5 if under 21.) Your ticket fee will ensure that future free events can be held. But it also gets you some vegan perks for this event: free beer, free wine during the tasting (~1- 2 glasses, depending upon how much you taste), plus a special discount on Blue Nile’s Veg Combo Platter (a full meal, normally $15.99, but for this occasion, only $12.99.) If you don't choose the Veg Combo Platter you can order other dishes which range from $4.99 - $13.99.) To buy your ticket, purchase it here on Meetp and pay on the link https://www.meetup.com/Vegan-Drinks-Houston/events/248967095/ Or go to Eventbrite https://www.eventbrite.com/e/vdh12-blue-nile-vegan-wine-tasting-tickets-45071329560 Or you can pay through PayPal or VenMo or with other options. Just email your contact info to [masked] and you'll be provided with the details. *No additional fees are added onto any ticket No refunds on the fund-raising ticket. However your ticket can be passed to another person should original ticket-holder be unavailable to attend. Must notify organizer at least 2 hours prior to the event.
- VDH13 - Gallery Show with Vegan Christian Artist Forrest Prince
* Photo above: Forrest Prince, “You’re Eating Yourself to Death, and You’re Too Dumb to Know It”, 1990, table, chair, mixed media, collection of Carolyn Farb __________________________________________________________________________________ "As long as people eat animals, we'll never have peace," says Houston's emminent artist—and raw vegan for 40 years, Forrest Prince. Watch this film about Forrest and come get to know him and his work and share some vegan luv at his new show at the Redbud Gallery in The Heights on Saturday, April 7. This exhibit is FREE and is entitled "Awake Beloved, We've Slept Too Long" During a rock-bottom place in his life during his younger years, Forrest had an epiphany which he says made him become "a seeker and servant of God" and he also realized the connection between what we eat and peace. He has been a raw vegan for 40 years. His art has been featured at The Menil, the Contemporary Arts Museum of Houston and the Station Museum of Contemporary Art. Forrest was featured recently in a cover article in PaperCity Magazine https://www.papercitymag.com/…/forrest-prince-houston-art-…/ and he was awarded a lifetime achievement award by the Art League of Houston https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUZxi8v1NSw Here is a film about Forrest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUZxi8v1NSw Gus Kopriva, the owner of Redbud Gallery sponsoring the exhibit, explains, ""I have wanted to work with Forrest and show his work for many years and share his unique art with our audience. Some of the finest art that has been created addresses topics of religion, politics, and social issues that still plague our country. Residing in Houston, this self-taught artist has developed an original recognizable artistic style. His work is represented in many of our most well-known collections. You will be drawn to view impressive large mixed media works, sculptures and wall pieces. His art conveys a feeling of spiritual mystery and enchantment." "Prince's work directly deals with religious hypocrisy, social indifference and regressive politics that are so prevalent in our society. He is one of those rare humans that through self-contemplation has been able to find unity with an absolute deity. Prince has reached a state of spiritual bliss that is beyond most of our understanding," says Kopriva. "Many of his reflective works are constructed of mirrors and the viewer is forced to view themselves while gazing at the art. His art is meant to communicate with our individual selves, not others." The opening night is Saturday April 07 from 6 to 9pm and the show will be on exhibit through the entire month of April. Please come. DRESS: NIce, no sweats or shorts!
- VDH11-Healing America w/Dr Colin Campbell + Blue Nile Ethiopian Food
We haven't had a VDH event in a while, so this is a pop-up last minute event to get inspired and to get together. Come hear Dr. T. Colin Campbell PhD, Plant-pure Nation producer Nelson Campbell and cardiologist Dr. Baxter Montgomery from 3 to 5pm at HBU, then socialize and grab yummy vegan Ethiopian food and drinks in a private room from 5:30-7:30pm-ish at Blue Nile nearby. Houston is one of the lucky cities to be on the Healing America tour hosted by Dr. T. Colin Campbell, author of The China Study and featured in Forks Over Knives along with his son Nelson Campbell who produce the PlantPure Nation documentary about healing a community using a healthy vegan diet. Esteemed Houston cardiologist, Dr. Baxter Montgomery will be opening the event The Healing America talk is a perfect opportunity to invite your friends and family who need hear about the healing potential of food. It's free (and what else is there to do on a Saturday afternoon!) So bring along some of those folks that you've been wanting to get through to...There will be lots of seating as the HBU theater holds over 1000. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ First, we'll go to the event at Houston Baptist University off 59/Fondren. It's from 3 to 5 (but get there early so you get a good seat) and it's FREE. Parking is easy and FREE. LOCATION: At HBU’s large auditorium - the Dunham Theater -located in the Morris Cultural Arts Center. 7502 Fondren Rd, Houston, TX 77074 Then we go to the delicious Blue Nile Ethiopian restaurant nearby on Richmond between Fondren and Gessner. Their Veg Combination platter with Teff grain bread is amazing. They have a variety of drinks, and they've reserved their big party room for us. RESTAURANT LOCATION: Blue Nile on Richmond between Fondren and Gessner (9400 Richmond Ave, Houston, Texas 77063) Please RSVP and ALSO indicate in the comments if you plan to come to Blue Nile (and with how many) so I can give the restaurant an idea of how many people will be showing up. Here's MORE INFO: About Dr. Campbell, per the New York Times. “I was raised on a dairy farm. I milked cows. I went away to graduate school at Cornell University, and I thought the good old American diet is the best there is. The more dairy, meat and eggs we consumed, the better. The early part of my career was focused on protein, protein, protein. It was supposed to solve the world’s ills. But when we started doing our research, we found that when we start consuming protein in excess of the amount we need, it elevates blood cholesterol and atherosclerosis and creates other problems......The problem is that we study one nutrient out of context. That’s the way we did research — one vitamin at a time, one mineral, one fat. It was always in a reductionist, narrowly focused way. But I learned that protein is not quite what we thought it was. We’ve distorted our diet seriously through the ages, and we have all the problems we have because of that distortion." https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/07/nutrition-advice-from-the-china-study/ About Dr. Baxter Montgomery, MD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMidCUcDdJc There is Facebook page for this event here: https://www.facebook.com/events/464954853920157/permalink/465121563903486/?notif_t=event_mall_comment¬if_id=1519953909916311 • What to bring Bring friends and family who need to hear about the healing power of nutrition to hear Dr. Montgomery and Dr. Campbell talk!
- VDH-POPUP - The CupCake Girl + Vfood for homeless + Harvey animals @Dan Electros
This is a last minute POP-UP Vegan Drinks Houston event this Saturday, Sept 9 to support the homeless and animals impacted by Hurricane Harvey. It's at Dan Electros Guitar Bar (NOT Holler) in The Heights. It's a DAY EVENT and there are tables outside. (DOGS are welcome.) There will be other vegan foods vendors and The CupCake Girl will be selling her delish vegan cupcakes (singly or by the 1/2 dozen or dozen.) It's free, but please bring at least 1 can of beans (or something else from the list below.) Dan Electros is collecting vegan food to support the Food, Not Bombs charity to help the homeless in Houston. Also, we will be collecting cat food, dog food or cat litter (even 1 can is fine) to give to those helping Harvey animals. Event is from 1pm to 5pm on Sunday. So pop over for a beer (or a kombucha or cider if you don't drink) and grab some vegan food and cupcakes. Most likely people will stay after 5pm as well, btw. If you would like to order cupcakes in advance go to The Cupcake Girl's page on Facebook. Flavors she will be selling will be posted shortly. The food item/s you can bring are below (oh and nothing is too little, it all adds up.) Food Not Bombs is accepting the following vegan-only donations: beans, rice, granola bars, peanut butter, cooking oil, seasoning, vegan canned items, bottled water, sturdy reusable plastic plates, fresh fruit Along with yummy Cuban black beans and rice your cupcake flavors from The Cupcake Girl are: • Cookies n' cream • Cinnamon Churro + cream cheese icing • Orange creamsicle • Gluten-free Chocolatey Chocolate **please update your RSVP** Here is the link for the Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/281618222353931/?acontext=%7B%22ref%22%3A%224%22%2C%22feed_story_type%22%3A%22370%22%2C%22action_history%22%3A%22null%22%7D
- Vegan Drinks Houston - at Holler Brewery + Ripe Cuisine + The Cupcake Girl
• Vegan craft beer + VDH special: $4 for full pour of Hefeweizen (Get a wristband and vegan sticker when you arrive to get your discount!) • Non-drinkers can have sip on Holler's fresh cold brew coffee or kombucha • Vegan food from Chef Stephanie Hoban's RIPE CUISINE • Vegan dessert from Sara Marie Lewis' THE CUPCAKE GIRL • Event starts at 6pm and goes on until 10:30pm (or until however long you want to linger on a hot summer night) • Feel free to bring leaflets/flyers/cards to share to promote your vegan event, vegan business or vegan self • Remember to reach out to others since many people are often new at these events. We will have a bunch of picnic tables reserved for our group, but you'll be able to spot the other vegans by the vegan sticker on their cheek! • Just RSVP so the vegan food vendors know how much to prepare (and bring non-vegan friends, too!) HERE ARE MORE DETAILS: WHERE: Holler Brewery http://www.hollerbeer.com Holler is one of Houston's newest craft breweries. High school sweethearts Kathryn and John Holler had been working as a school teacher and an oil-and-gas guy when they started home brewing on the side. They decided to take the plunge and leave their jobs and in late 2016 opened up their brewing company in Washington Heights. All their beers are vegan except one (the milk stout.) They are offering a full pour of their Hefeweizen for $4 for all Vegan Drinks Houston. Just get a wrist band along with your vegan sticker and the bartender will give you the discount. WHO: The FOOD MAIN COURSE: Ripe Cuisine http://www.ripe-cuisine.com Chef Stephanie Hoban, MS RD is a vegan registered dietitian and trained as a vegan chef at the Natural Gourmet School in NYC. She started Ripe Cuisine a few years ago and drives her truck around town serving delicious plant-based meals. Per The Houston Press: "Stephanie Hoban knows her way around vegetables, so much so that her vegan food truck can serve up convincing cappers melts made with vegan cheese and pulled pork-esque sandwiches made from jackfruit." If you haven't tried her yummy food yet, come! DESSERT: The Cupcake Girl Sara Marie Lewis is a recent graduate of The Art Institute of Houston with a degree in interior design. You can see her flair for creativity and color in her delicious vegan cupcakes which have been selling out at markets around town. She sold several thousand at Houstons recent VegFest put on by the Vegan Society of Peace in June. You can have one or two on the night, or order them by dozen in advance to take home as well. Contact info to order in advance here: https://www.facebook.com/sarathecupcakegirl/ PROMOTE YOURSELF AND YOUR ANIMAL/VEGAN CAUSES: The mission of VDH is to meet, network, promote and support each other and our animal and plant-based events and endeavors. Bring flyers/brochures/cards to hand out or leave out so that we can support the like-minded and direct our dollars to businesses that will directly or indirectly end up helping animals. So, if you are a vegan accountant, vegan lawyer, vegan real estate agent, vegan doctor, vegan whatever feel free to put business cards down. And make sure to introduce yourself to at least 3 new people! HOW TO FIND OUR VEGAN GROUP: There will be non-vegans attending the event as well. Make sure you come get a vegan sticker to help identify those in our group. NOTE: Dogs are welcome outside! _____________________________________________ EVEN IF you RSVPed for THIS event, please make sure to join the group on either FB or Meetup so that you are notified of future events. *****If you are on FACEBOOK, please join our FB group: "Vegan Drinks Houston" https://www.facebook.com/groups/1713876845492686/ (or click on the name Vegan Drinks Houston above under address of the bar and next to 'created') . *****IF you are on MEETUP, join VDH: http://www.meetup.com/Vegan-Drinks-Houston/ _____________________________________________ Feel free to invite friends and to share this post! Here is the link to the same event on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/events/1065232370279045/?acontext=%7B%22ref%22%3A%224%22%2C%22feed_story_type%22%3A%22370%22%2C%22action_history%22%3A%22null%22%7D _____________________________________________ * Hey VDH folks: This group is a not-for-profit venture and all events have been free (except 1 that had a cover charge) and several events provided free beer! But there are costs involved with maintaining the group and setting up these events, so any contributions to keep the events going would be helpful. Please consider donating $3 to $5 on the GREEN 'Chip In' button on the upper left. Any small amount is much appreciated and helps towards costs. Thank you and see you at the next event!
- Vegan Drinks Houston – at Dan Electros + The Cupcake Girl + Tamales + Rice&Beans
• Vegan beer & liquor in Dan Electros Bar’s ‘beautiful backyard’! • All-Vegan food from 6 to 8. Herman's Vegan Tamales will be $1 each with several flavor options Grandma’s Rice & Beans will be there as a side dish. And dessert will be delicious treats from The CupCake Girl. Vegan cupcakes $2 each and you can order ½ dozen or more in advance. Post your cupcake orders on The CupCake Girl’s page so she knows how many to bring. • Event starts at 5pm – food available from 6 to 8. Event ‘over’ at 9pm, but bar stays open till 2am. Drop everything and come to this FLASH, last-minute Vegan Drinks! Life has gotten in the way recently and we have not had a drinks event. But this weekend, the stars aligned and a perfect opportunity to get together came up. So, add this vegan party to your plans this Sunday: Come chow down and chill out in The Heights at a dive bar known as Dan Electros Guitar Bar. Vegan foodies, The Cupcake Girl will be on hand with her delicious vegan cupcakes (only $2 each in assorted yummy flavors.) Plus new-on-the-vegan-food-scene: Herman’s Vegan Tamales (at a special price of $1 each with flavor choices) and Grandma’s Rice & Beans serving Mexican rice and beans. The bar has beer and spirits and non-alcoholic choices, too. DOGS are welcome. Venue is mostly outside, but there is an indoors if it rains. Just RSVP and we’ll see you there! (REMEMBER: When you arrive, make sure to get a vegan STICKER.) ___________________________________________________ For more details, read below: WHO: Vegans—and their friends. WHERE: Dan Electros is at 1031 E 24th St, Houston, TX 77009. It’s East of Shepherd just North 20th/Cavalcade. (on San Felipe, just inside the 610 Loop and just W of the railroad tracks.) Go down N Main Street and turn East onto 24th. The bar is on the corner of Gibbs and 24th. OR you can drive North on Montrose, keep going as it turns into Studemont and passes i10. Keep driving down Studemont and pass 20th street. It then curves into Gibbs just past 23rd street, bar on corner at 24th. Dan Electros Guitar is known for its blues and rock live music and a dive bar feel. http://www.danelectrosbar.com DRINKS: A variety of vegan beers and spirits will be available as will non-alcoholic choices. FOOD: Mexican tamale + rice & beans feast, followed by cupcakes for dessert TAMALES will be on special at $1 each in with a few flavors to choose from. Herman, the tamale guy, is doing a tamale-tasting to get feedback on his tamales. At this event, he will be taking orders for vegan-tamales-by-the-dozen that will be available NEXT weekend for $10/doz en. RICE & BEANS, Mexican-style will be provided by Grandma’s Rice & Beans. CUPCAKES Vegan interior designer, Sara Marie Lewis, started making vegan cupcakes for potlucks. After rave reviews and too many requests to handle, she set up The Cupcake Girl and offers a variety of delicious cupcake flavors, all vegan. She sold out completely at Houston’s VegFest in June. She will have single cupcakes at the event, but you can also pre-order them to bring some home for the week ($10 per half-dozen.) If you want to order more than 1, please go to her cupcake page and place your order there so she knows how many to bring. Link is below: See which flavors will be available and order your cupcakes in advance here: Vegan cupcakes $2 each and you can order ½ dozen or more in advance. Post your cupcake orders on The CupCake Girl’s page so she knows how many to bring. https://www.facebook.com/events/1610750842292260/?acontext=%7B%22ref%22%3A%222%22%2C%22ref_dashboard_filter%22%3A%22upcoming%22%2C%22action_history%22%3A%22%5B%7B%5C%22surface%5C (https://www.facebook.com/events/1610750842292260/?acontext=%7B%22ref%22%3A%222%22%2C%22ref_dashboard_filter%22%3A%22upcoming%22%2C%22action_history%22%3A%22%5B%7B%5C%22surface%5C%22%3A%5C%22dashboard%5C%22%2C%5C%22mechanism%5C%22%3A%5C%22main_list%5C%22%2C%5C%22extra_data%5C%22%3A%5B%5D%7D%5D%22%7D) %22%3A%5C%22dashboard%5C%22%2C%5C%22mechanism%5C%22%3A%5C%22main_list%5C%22%2C%5C%22extra_data%5C%22%3A%5B%5D%7D%5D%22%7D (https://www.facebook.com/events/1610750842292260/?acontext=%7B%22ref%22%3A%222%22%2C%22ref_dashboard_filter%22%3A%22upcoming%22%2C%22action_history%22%3A%22%5B%7B%5C%22surface%5C%22%3A%5C%22dashboard%5C%22%2C%5C%22mechanism%5C%22%3A%5C%22main_list%5C%22%2C%5C%22extra_data%5C%22%3A%5B%5D%7D%5D%22%7D) MUSIC: Great blues and blues rock will be played at this dive bar deep in the Heights. ___________________________________________________ WHEN YOU ARRIVE: When you arrive, make you get a vegan sticker. (If it’s raining, the event is still on since we’ll be inside, too.) ___________________________________________________ HERE IS THE FACEBOOK page for this event: https://www.facebook.com/events/448589322176538/?acontext=%7B%22ref%22%3A%2229%22%2C%22ref_notif_type%22%3A%22plan_user_joined%22%2C%22action_history%22%3A%22null%22%7D¬if_t=plan_user_joined¬if_id=1500062346675670 EVEN IF you RSVPed for THIS event, please make sure to join the group on either FB or Meetup so that you are notified of future events. *****If you are on FACEBOOK, please join our FB group: "Vegan Drinks Houston" https://www.facebook.com/groups/1713876845492686/ (or click on the name Vegan Drinks Houston above under address of the bar and next to 'created') . *****IF you are on MEETUP, join VDH: http://www.meetup.com/Vegan-Drinks-Houston (http://www.meetup.com/Vegan-Drinks-Houston/) / (http://www.meetup.com/Vegan-Drinks-Houston/)___________________________________________________
- Vegan Drinks Houston at Rudyard's with The Ghost Wolves + Chef Joe's Vegan Menu
• Vegan drinks specials: Rudyard's Pub will offer a discount if you show your vegan sticker on the following: $2+tax for Old Tankard beer, and $4+tax for any of the following: Bicardi Grapefruit Rum, Bicardi Raspberry Rum, Treaty Oaks Rum, Waterloo Gin and beers: Bear Republic Stout and Red Rocket,IPA • Veggie Tunes! We got lucky and Austin vegan rock duo, The Ghost Wolves, are headed back to Texas after a nationwide tour and they're stopping in Houston for a gig. The Ghost Wolves will be playing from 10pm. The Poor Dumb Bastards will play at 11pm. Cover charge is $8. Let's show them some vegan love! • Veggie food - a veganized bar! Chef Joe Apa at Rudyard's has veganized his menu specially for us. We need to show an omni restaurant how much interest there is in a vegan menu, so come and show support. There is an extensive selection of appetizers, entrees and side orders (see menu below.) • Event starts at 9pm because doors to the upstairs open at 9pm and you can start ordering from the special veganized menu then. However, if you arrive earlier you can hang in the pub downstairs. But you will only be able to order the vegan menu upstairs. There is both standing and bar space upstairs as well as plenty of tables. • Remember to reach out to anyone who looks new in case they don’t know anyone! (And if you are new and don't know anyone, reach out!) There will be other patrons at the bar, but we can spot each other by the vegan sticker on our cheek... Just RSVP and feel free to share with vegan and pre-vegan friends (When you arrive, make sure to get a vegan drinks STICKER.) Get ready to boogie on Saturday night, Dec 17th at Rudyards in Montrose. Bring friends! Share! Get a vegan sticker to get your drinks discount! VEGAN FOOD Chef Joe Apa at Rudyard's Pub has veganized his menu specially for us. Here are the healthy and/or yummy choices on Saturday night: Chef Joe's Veganized Special Menu at Rudyards for[masked] APPETIZERS: - BBQ tofu on skewers over coleslaw $8 - Spring rolls with soy-sriracha-agave dipping sauce $5 - Vegan nachos with Daiya pepperjack $8 ENTREES: - Spinach Salad with crisp corn tortilla chips, corn kernels, black beans, red onion, grape tomatoes and lime-cilantro vinaigrette $12 - Pasta Marinara with vegan meatballs $9 - Portobello Fajitas (2 tortillas, portobello strips, red onion, garlic, red and green bell peppers) with black beans, pico de gallo, and pickled jalapenos $9 - Vegan Thai green curry with coconut milk and vegetables (made in house) served over basmati rice with cilantro sprigs and lime $9 SIDE ORDERS: - Basket of French Fries $4.25 - Side of black beans (8oz.) with pico de gallo - $3.25Side of sautéed spinach with garlic, olive oil and salt $3.75 * Please note that they use a veggie-only fryer for the fries (using vegetable oil and with NO meat contamination) VEGAN MUSIC Austin Monthly magazine named The Ghost Wolves one of Austin's 10 Best Bands To Watch http://www.austinmonthly.com/AM/March-2013/Austin-Monthlys-10-Bands-to-Watch/ Listen to The Ghost Wolves singing "Baby Fang Thang" here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5HDkmu8pPU and "Shotgun Pistol Grip" here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auKqGvjk9rw (https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DauKqGvjk9rw&h=EAQHiwu7e&enc=AZN3dNjpCQ3Wuh5PkLIu10CMRYjJ4KX9Y1po7QUwnHkIBQ4p-zYzQt611ztq-XfOILQ&s=1) And here is a live gig: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VNxoAR1-oM (https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D_VNxoAR1-oM&h=eAQG7LJh5&enc=AZPNpvE8gnLfSWpo6JktKTItYtf8cbHTA7yUjDegvOq7UD8MPz-pmHx7im3y6vVu2I4&s=1) Here is their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/TheGhostWolves/?fref=ts and website: http://www.theghostwolves.com/ The Poor Dumb Bastards are a loud punk rock band, originally from Houston. They recently won a Houston Press Music Award and were named the Best Band for Drinking. Says the Press: "It’s unfair to say that Poor Dumb Bastards wouldn’t exist without booze, but then again, this is a band that has been proudly broadcasting its slogan, “Texas Drunk Rock,” since the early ’90s. This year the Bastards are celebrating 25 years of sloppy riffs and pillaged livers, and if the band members themselves are a little more teetotal than they used to be, you’d never guess it from the kind of bottle-draining mayhem that still reigns at their gigs — and then really hits home the morning after." But rumor has it they have one band member who is also vegan! http://www.houstonpress.com/music/meet-the-2016-houston-press-music-award-winners-8984507. Here is their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Poor-Dumb-Bastards-126350582202/ BTW, the upstairs area is spacious, but you might want to bring earplugs, just in case... Feel free to share this Meetup or the FB link on other pages—the more the merrier! _____________________________________________ EVEN IF you RSVPed for THIS event, please make sure to join the VDH group on either FB or Meetup so that you are notified of future events. *****If you are on FACEBOOK, please join our FB group: "Vegan Drinks Houston" https://www.facebook.com/groups/1713876845492686/ (or click on the name Vegan Drinks Houston above under address of the bar and next to 'created') . *****IF you are on MEETUP, join VDH: http://www.meetup.com/Vegan-Drinks-Houston/ _____________________________________________ Here is the link to this Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/114032845750610/