addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Vegan Long Island Message Board › Please take the anonymous, 60 second vegan survey now

Please take the anonymous, 60 second vegan survey now

Ted B.
user 11538335
East Northport, NY
Post #: 14
Everyone - please take 60 seconds to do this quick, fun, anonymous survey:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/A...­

It takes only 1 minute. The aim is to discover what types of products vegans are actually consuming - without any risk of judgement or peer pressure. Please be honest; it's completely anonymous, so there is no way anyone including myself will ever know who said what.

Then, please forward it to every vegan you know, and post in any vegan/vegetarian groups, mailing lists, forums or websites. I'll keep it open for about a month.

Best,
Ted
Margaret R.
Margaret_R
Islip, NY
Post #: 1
done, no I'm not perfect, never knew about the beer, avoid honey, avoid white sugar, still fail in a few P&G products too sad
Karen N.
user 33415772
Amityville, NY
Post #: 87
Posted on a fb Vegan health page I'm often interacting on, along with my own input
Jennifer G.
user 6937947
Group Organizer
Bellport, NY
Post #: 380
Ted, I took the survey, and I'm curious about the reason(s) for it. I know you love surveys. wink Beyond that, are you after some particular information?

The following might be relevant... since you're asking about ingredients... have folks seen this short essay by Matt Ball of Vegan Outreach? It's entitled, "How Vegan? Ingredients vs. Results." Along those lines, here are some opinions on what the term "vegan" means. I invite everyone to check them out, see if you agree—or not?
Ted B.
user 11538335
East Northport, NY
Post #: 15
Thanks guys!
Jennifer, yes, I do love surveys! They help us understand the world better in a quantifiable way where anecdotal experiences fall short.

I'm looking to see how vegans treat "grey areas" - how many use products with animals involved, and in what context. In a vegan discussion forum I recently saw a few militant vegans judging those who did use honey, insisting they weren't vegan and insulting them and saying they give all vegans a bad name. I nearly replied, but realized my words were likely meaningless to them because I'm just one person, and in their world view, "real vegans don't eat honey. Period." They were trying to marginalize and demean anyone who didn't fit their criteria, and part of marginalization is to minimize your opponent group's size or influence to discredit them. I know that a pretty large number of vegans do eat honey, but I had no evidence to actually back it up. So I turned to Google, and Google laughed. I could find no studies at all indicating what ratio of vegans at honey and why. Hence, I decided to do it myself.

In designing the survey, I figured I only have one shot to reach a lot of vegans who'll give their time to this, so why not also ask about the other grey areas? I genuinely want to be more educated and understand my community better. I hope we'll have some interesting insights, not to mention be more informed in discussions. :-)

Thank you for those links, I'll check it out!
Jennifer G.
user 6937947
Group Organizer
Bellport, NY
Post #: 381
Ah, I understand now.

I would love to know what those vegans would think about the pieces I already pointed you to, above, and also the one specifically about honey by Michael Greger that I link to in this post from several years ago: http://www.meetup.com...­

I wonder if they'd find any of that persuasive.