addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

"Vegan Life Colorado" Denver Metro Message Board Recipes! Plant-based/Vegan › Recipes from Feb 2013 Potluck

Recipes from Feb 2013 Potluck

Ann V S.
vegann
Morrison, CO
Post #: 554
Good Gravy

2 quarts veggie broth (I use Imagine No-Chicken)
1/3 cup white wine
1/3 cup Bragg Liquid Aminos (or salt to taste, about 2 tsp)
2 Tbsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp dried basil (may also use chopped fresh)
1/2 tsp dried sage
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1/2 tsp black pepper

Have ready:
1 cup corn starch (may also use flour, double the amount)
1 cup cold water or broth (if using flour, double the liquid)

Instructions:
Combine all ingredients, except cornstarch (or flour) and cold water (or broth), in a 4 qt pot. Cover and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Just before serving, bring liquid back to a boil, put cornstarch and water into a shaker container with a right fitting lid and shake until well blended. While stirring liquid with a wire whisk, pour the cornstarch water into the hot liquid, whisking constantly until gravy is thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat and serve over potatoes, stuffing biscuits, Tofurkey, baked or fried tofu slices, etc.

Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container.

I suggest you cut the recipe in half or 4th, if you don't think you'll be using it within a few days. It doesn't freeze well.
Ann V S.
vegann
Morrison, CO
Post #: 555
Vanilla Cake/Cupcakes

2 cups Organic White Flour, unbleached and un-enriched
1 1/3 cups Organic Whole Wheat Flour
1 1/4 cups natural or raw sugar, or Sucanant (Sucanant will make cake darker color)
2 tsp. baking soda (NOT BAKING POWDER)
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 3/4 cups water
1/2 cup high oleic safflower oil, expeller pressed (high oleic, means high heat, is best, but can use other oil)
2 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix dry ingredients. Whisk in remaining ingredients
until well blended. Pour into an oil sprayed 8x8 or 9x9 inch, baking pan. Bake for
30 - 40 minutes. When cake is done the top will spring back when lightly tapped
with fingertips. Cool and frost. Double the recipe to a make 9x13 cake.
Bake cupcakes 20 - 25 minutes. Makes about dozen cupcakes.

FROSTING RECIPES:
(For the potluck I used the Cocoa "Butter" frosting which us a variation of the Chocolate "Butter" frosting.

Vanilla “Butter” Frosting
1/3 cup soft (not melted) Earth Balance Buttery Sticks (or half Earth Balance Sticks and half Earth Balance
Shortening sticks. If using half shortening, add 1/8 tsp salt)
2 cups Organic (or other) confectioners’ sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla, or 1/4 heaping tsp. vanilla powder
About 2 Tbsp. soy or other non-dairy milk

In a deep mixing bowl mix thoroughly margarine and melted chocolate. Blend in sugar. Stir in vanilla and non-dairy milk. Beat until frosting is smooth and of spreading consistency.

Chocolate “Butter” Frosting
1/3 cup soft (not melted) Earth Balance Buttery Sticks (or half Earth Balance Sticks and half Earth Balance
Shortening sticks. If using half shortening, add 1/8 tsp salt)
2 ounces melted unsweetened chocolate (cool)
2 cups Organic (or other) confectioners’ sugar
About 2 Tbsp. soy or other non-dairy milk
In a deep mixing bowl mix thoroughly margarine and melted chocolate. Blend in sugar. Stir in vanilla and non-dairy milk. Beat until frosting is smooth and of spreading consistency.
Variation: Cocoa “Butter” Frosting: Substitute 1/3 cup cocoa powder (non-alkaline) for the melted chocolate and reduce powdered sugar to 1 3/4 cups.

Vanilla “Butter” Glaze
1/3 cup Earth Balance or Soy Garden Margarine
1 3/4 cups Hain Organic Powdered Sugar
1/3 cocoa powder, non alkali
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract, or 1/4 plus 1/8 tsp. vanilla powder
2 to 4 Tbsp. hot water

Melt margarine in a sauce pan. Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla. Stir in water, 1
Tbsp. at a time until glaze is of proper consistency. Dip tops of cupcakes in glaze. Cool.

Cocoa Cream “Cheese” “Butter” Frosting
1/3 cup soft Earth Balance Buttery Sticks (room temp, not melted)
1/4 cup Tofutti Cream Cheese, room temp
2 cups Hain Organic (or other) confectioners’ sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
About 1 to 2 Tbsp. soy or other non-dairy milk
In a deep mixing bowl mix thoroughly margarine and melted chocolate. Blend in sugar. Stir in vanilla and non-dairy milk. Beat until frosting is smooth and of spreading consistency. Or put all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth, scraping sides often. Do not over process, or frosting will melt.
Ella B.
user 79084472
Denver, CO
Post #: 1
SWEET POTATO PUDDING

1 cup cooked sweet potato or yam
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup rolled oats
5 halawi dates or 1 TBSP maple syrup
1 TBSP cocoa powder
1 tsp cinnamon
Combine all ingredients in a blender (I use a Vitamix) and blend until smooth
I also add roasted walnuts
LaNell
LaNell
Denver, CO
Post #: 10
Greta’s Cannellini Salad with Mint (from Speed Vegan)

1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, well drained Add to list
3/4 cup finely diced red onion Add to list
3/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh mint leaves Add to list
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil Add to list
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice Add to list
1/4 teaspoon sea salt Add to list
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Combine all the ingredients. Serve at once, in small bowls.
Linda B.
user 24356862
Littleton, CO
Post #: 1
I think the recipe idea is great. We should try to get some of the recipes from Gentle Thanksgiving. Everything was so fabulous. Let's put out a request on our e-mail list for great vegan dishes that have been made.
Linda Bassin
Ann V S.
vegann
Morrison, CO
Post #: 556
From Linda Bassin: I think the recipe idea is great. We should try to get some of the recipes from Gentle Thanksgiving. Everything was so fabulous. Let's put out a request on our e-mail list for great vegan dishes that have been made.
Linda Bassin

Hi Linda, the Gentle thanksgiving was with Boulder and Beyond Vegan MeetUp so it would need to be done on their message boards, because all of their members aren't members of this group. If you will start one on there and get people to post, I would be happy to copy it over to our boards. Thank you! PS. I don't even remember what I made! confused I'll have to think about it!
Linda B.
user 24356862
Littleton, CO
Post #: 2
I will do that.
Linda B