addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

"Vegan Life Colorado" Denver Metro Message Board Pet Chat: The place to help Fur Baby Friends! › Vegan Dog and Cat Foods Suggestions for Commercial & Homemade Foods, and

Vegan Dog and Cat Foods Suggestions for Commercial & Homemade Foods, and Acclimating Suggestions for Cats

Ann V S.
vegann
Morrison, CO
Post #: 363
Vegan Cat Food Video
Here's an interesting article. Vegan Animal Diets: Facts and Myths

Some stores carry vegan options for dogs. Cat foods have to be ordered online. I use AMI kibble. My cat won't eat canned. My grandcat loves canned vegan food. She could not be acclimated, because she was rescued from a child on the street who was giving her away. She was only about 8 weeks old, and has been vegan ever since.

For foods, check locally and encourage places near you to carry options. In Denver, Nooch Vegan Market carries V-Dog. Pet World on 10th & Wadsworth carries Natural Balance Vegan kibble & canned, & Just Veggin' Biscuits. Halo Dog Food makes a vegan option; Vegan Garden Medley. Wysong now has a vegan dog and cat food kibble. There is info below about converting cats.

This post is for people who are interested. I do what I believe is best for my animals who I love and adore. I wish that for all animals. I did my research and I'm sharing what I have come to. Others are free to take or leave it. I have had healthy vegan dogs since 1990 and healthy vegan cats since 2003. It's a little work to have vegan cats, if they need to be acclimated, but it's really worth the effort. Click to order AMI. You can order a variety of canned & dry cat or dog at that site.

For our homemade pet foods, order the VegeDog & VegeCat supplements, & also their vege yeast. You can order online here: http://VegePet.com/...­, or order by phone here: (406) 295-4944. They send recipes for other wet foods & kibble with your order. You can mix recipes for variety, if you like. Be sure to pay close attention to the measurements if you mix recipes. Buying in bulk is helpful for making recipes that calls for beans. A pressure cooker for the chick peas is a real time saver. Once you have the supplements & have made the recipe(s) once, the rest is a breeze. Homemade is also great if you prefer to make the recipes organic.

NOTES for cat food: Cats should always be slowly acclimated to new food, if possible. Adoptees can't be, of course. If they won't eat it, find something they will eat & work from there. If you chose to use tofu in recipes, cats MUST have tofu that is made WITHOUT magnesium chloride or Nigari. The only ones I have found are silken Mori Nu, & CostCo did carry a three pack of hard style organic tofu. For cats with urinary issues, or if you have a male and are concerned about crystals in the urine, homemade cat food supplement that is specifically for that, is VegeCat phi. Some males don't need it. If you're hasn't had issues, you might start with feeding premade vegan foods or use the regular cat food supplement to make homemade, and just check their urine a few times a week. Some pharmacies carry the urine Ph test strips. NOTE: do not feed cats, dog food. It sometimes doesn't have taurine, which is important for cats, and it's often too high in magnesium, which can cause urinary crystals in cats. I am told that a little canned Natural Balance canned (only) vegan dog, is on now and then, or to mix in, because it has taurine and isn't as high in magnesium, but vegan cat foods are best for cats.

I have had vegan cats since 2003 and they live well into their teens. My old boy, who passed at about 19, was vegan half of his life. My old boy, who recovered from a blockage years ago that he got from eating dog food (that was a hard lesson), has had blood & urine checked regularly ever since, he is in perfect health, and has had no more issues.

How I acclimated my cats:
Cats usually don't take to abrupt change of food. If they are newly adopted, they don't have a choice. They might need more coaxing to get off the junk food they have likely had for their lives. They are use to greasy foods that have had chemical flavor inhancers added, so going natural will be like getting a kid off candy and onto veggies. One of mine would eat pretty much anything we put in front of him. He ate the vegan food with no acclimation when my daughter first got him. All her cats were already vegan at the time so we didn't know what he was eating before. It's good that he liked the food right away. That's not common, though.

The key for some cats going vegan, is acclimation. I did a lot of research before switching mine, because my daughter had vegan cats already, and they seemed to be doing very well. One of my cats who started at an older age, passed February 2011 at 17, so she was vegan almost half her life. Her kidneys were damaged from a prescription medicine (Medicam, an anti-inflammatory) incident several years earlier. They have since changed the dosage. Even so, don't use that medication for cats. My vet and I were certain they she did better and lived longer with that damage, because of the healthier, lower protein vegan food. I never put her on the prescription kidney food, because the reason they gave for wanting its purpose, made no sense. All of my cats I lost to illness, before my vegan cats, died of liver or kidney failure between the ages of 8 & 13, even though I was feeding them the expensive premium foods. All living beings age & die, and some parts will give out before others, no matter how healthy the diet, but the junk commercial "pet" foods, can cause premature diseases.

All the best to you and your babies! Feel free to contact me through MeetUp, any time!
Ann V S.
vegann
Morrison, CO
Post #: 383
Ann V S.
vegann
Morrison, CO
Post #: 425
Vegan cat food cooking video:

http://www.youtube.co...­

Fun!  His recipe is different than mine, but they send recipes with the suppliment so you can figure out your own, as I did (and he did).  I think I might try incorporating a lentil recipe in the future for a change.

http://VegFestColorad...­
        See you there!
Ann V S.
vegann
Morrison, CO
Post #: 549
100 Vegan-Eating Dogs; An encyclopedia of Vegan Dog Nutrition

http://thevegantruth....­
Ann V S.
vegann
Morrison, CO
Post #: 778
FYI, Evanger's canned "Vegetarian" Dog & Cat Food is NO LONGER VEGAN! There is dried egg powder in it. I have no idea when they changed it. There was never a notice or warning on the can. Here's their number, if you want to call & politely complain: (800) 288-6796

Ann V S.
vegann
Morrison, CO
Post #: 885
Two vegan brands for dogs! Natural Balance also has a vegan kibble.