addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

VegasHikers Message Board Hiking and Outdoors Related Discussion › Near Disaster !

Near Disaster !

Bille F.
user 155458732
Las Vegas, NV
Post #: 2
Yesterday i was coming down Calico Tanks with Rob & my neighbor.
Rob had let me use his aluminum trekking-pols for the decent and i
started to develop a Good balance and began to depend on them
more and more with my double fake-legs.

Near the bottom we switched back pols , and i went with the cheap Carbon
ones i had purchased, (which were Way more flimsy for my weight). They were
carbon Sierra mountain gear, with the cam-lock (O lock system).

They collapsed and i went down ; the lock slipped. Just lucky that happened on a
slight decline angle, or i would have gotten hurt Real bad if had happened on
some of the steeper stuff above !

So --- i depend on the pols a Lot more than you guys with my fake feet, and
i weigh 200-lb.

What type and brand should i get, so that doesn't Ever happen again ?

On a more positive note :
Big-5 gave me my money back ; even after i mentioned that maybe
i was too heavy for that item ; I Love doing business, with a reasonable
company !!
Cory G.
user 7547288
Las Vegas, NV
Post #: 146
There's a lot to know and learn about trekking poles. And yes , there are so many brands. I do use a Black Diamond with a flick lock locking device and I am very happy with it. I've use them in my most strenuous hikes and backpacking adventures (long and high). I suggest you go to one of the bigger/better Sports equipment centers (REI, Sports Chalet, Ceballos, etc) and they can help you decide which one to get for your purpose. Good luck and be even more careful.
Bille F.
user 155458732
Las Vegas, NV
Post #: 3

I suggest you go to one of the bigger/better Sports equipment centers (REI, Sports Chalet, Ceballos, etc) and they can help you decide which one to get for your purpose.
Good luck and be even more careful.
Sports Chalet, That's a store I've dealt with in the past ; with Good results !!

I rented a set of diving tanks, ( for a girl i know) ; rented them at Sports Chalet.

The day before, i was out Kite-boarding at 6-mile cove, on Lake Mohave ; i forgot
to use the lanyards i had made for the fake legs, and as a result i lost the Right
one in about 30-foot of water.

Melissa was Bummed when i asked her to go
get it ; but like the Awesome friend she was/is , she went down and got it for me
even after a late night or partying with her friends !!!

Thanks for the advise Miss-Cory ; as soon as i feel that i can keep up with
Ya , i'll ask you and your friends out , for a hike with me !! It's an EGO thing
i Hate being last , when people need to wait on me. crying

Bin working out a Lot ; have a few more issues to deal with , that are mostly
associated with my walking gait analysis. Right now, i consume nearly 50 %
more energy than you, because of my fake legs.

Bille

Cory G.
user 7547288
Las Vegas, NV
Post #: 147
No problem. No sweat. I like your determination. I hike from slow to moderate . Never too fast cuz I like enjoying my hikes, saboring every minute and every inch of the view of the outdoors. I don't mind being at the end. Well, almost at the end. I prefer seeing or knowing someone is ahead to lead the way and someone behind..... The feeling secure thing :o) I sometimes take people with me, those who feel intimidated with a group, on hikes that I know.
I don't mind waiting. I was a beginner at one time.
ExcursionJeff
JeffBrew
Las Vegas, NV
Post #: 48
Billie,

Two topics.

First, Cory is an awesome lady and a great friend. She doesn't offer to help often so I would take her up on her offer.

Second, trekking poles that have the flip-lock mechanism also have an adjust nut on the opposite side on the flip-lock. Tightening that nut a little tightens the locking pressure a LOT in the flip-lock. When I teach my Scrambling Basics class, I recommend the Carbon Fiber trekking poles that Costco carries in the spring. They're $30, lighter than my $100 Leki poles and have dual flip-locks on each pole. The flip-locks are great because they don't freeze up during the winter like twist-lock poles often do, can be adjusted while wearing gloves, and work when they are dirty from sand or dust.
Bille F.
user 155458732
Las Vegas, NV
Post #: 4
JeffBrew

... Cory is an awesome lady and a great friend. She doesn't offer to help often so I would take her up on her offer.

Awesome ? Now That's putting it Mildly !!

Just attended a presentation about Cory's climb to Mt Kilimanjaro , for the
Las Vegas Mountaineers tonight.

This Woman may very well be the, (pound for pound) strongest lady i ever
had the pleasure to meet ; and her Husband is quite fit as well !!!

I had once dated a girl from BC Canada, that put herself through college, by planting
trees for a logging company ; quite certain that Cory could hike circles around
her !!!

Anyway --JeffBrew-- , thanks for the heads-up on your friend ; wouldn't have
gone to her presentation , without your recommendation.

I'll Need to step Up my training, if i wanna hike with Cory ; and the World
needs More people like her !!!!!!!!

Bille
Cory G.
user 7547288
Las Vegas, NV
Post #: 148
Awww. Thanks for the kind words, Jeff and Bille. :o) I hope you didn't expect too much!
Bille F.
user 155458732
Las Vegas, NV
Post #: 5
Not really on topic
but
USA Today put a shot of me in there magazine !

http://www.usatoday.c...­
Cory G.
user 7547288
Las Vegas, NV
Post #: 149
That is so cool!