For VWA Trail Crew volunteers who are not going on the VWA work trip on the PCT, here is a way to still enjoy some crosscut saw work.
Three night backpacking trail work SAW TRIP. Hike in to Rainbow Camp Friday. Clear fallen trees including the ones we didn't get to on the Memorial Day trip, between Mocho and Rainbow Camps. There will be plenty of brushing also.
This is an opportunity to see remote areas of the South Fork of the Big Sur River. Much of this area burned in the Soberanes Fire in 2016, but some beautiful unspoiled areas remain.
MEET: Friday morning 8 AM at Big Sur Station. Don't be late!
Optional Saturday morning 8 AM at Big Sur Station. Don't be late!
BE ADVISED THAT THIS IS A STRENUOUS TRIP WITH A LONG CLIMB AT THE END OF THE LAST DAY.
Hike 5.5 miles from the trailhead to Rainbow Camp. We will clear any fallen trees on the way to Rainbow Camp. Then work on the Big Sur Trail beyond Rainbow Camp.
WHAT TO BRING: In addition to bringing essential items of personal gear and food for the duration of the trip, please also include:
• Work gloves, sturdy work clothes, protective eyewear, and sturdy shoes or boots
• Day pack able to carry 3 liters of water
• Extra food and snacks for the trail
• Tecnu lotion for poison oak if you need it
• Your favorite loppers and handsaw if you have them, otherwise these tools will be provided
• Hard hat if you have one
• Safety instruction will be provided
• Don’t forget to bring a special contribution to the famous, festive and fabulous VWA hors d’oeurves POTLUCK. This is the first night of any trip but often spills over to other nights.
Tent for protection from mosquitoes. Headnet may come in handy.
POTLUCK appetizer or dinner item. For new people, this means we will have an optional potluck shared food on one or more nights.