Clearing the Spruce Creek Trail and Three Peaks a.k.a. Dutra Trail near Dutra Flat Camp in the Silver Peak Wilderness. 3 day/2 night backpacking trip in a scenic area of the Silver Peak Wilderness.
Friday, May 1 – Sunday, May 3, 2020.
We will carry tools, food, and backpacking gear from Salmon Creek on Hwy 1 to Dutra Flat Camp. The hike is approximately 5 miles, climbing from 400’ to 2100’ on well-used wilderness trail. We will spend Friday clearing and maintaining the Spruce Creek Trail as we hike to Dutra Flat Camp. Saturday we will continue working on the Spruce Creek Trail and spend another night at Dutra Flat. Sunday we will break camp and hike out (scenic hiking options are abundant). Dutra Flat has a large meadow for setting up tents, abundant clear water in a spring-fed trough, and a well-established fire ring and picnic table. There is no toilet at camp.
Work will involve cutting brush, grubbing brush from the trail, maintaining the tread, and removing deadfall with small saws. There is very little poison oak on this trail.
We will meet at the Salmon Creek Station (a.k.a. Buckeye Trailhead) Friday, 5/1 at 9:00 a.m. There is room for several cars to park at the ranger station, but you are encouraged to arrange carpools to minimize impact.
LEADER APPROVAL REQUIRED:
Please sign up for this trip, but your participation is dependent on leader approval.
Significant rain causes misery – misery loves company.
WHAT TO BRING:
• This is a backpacking trip – pack in your own shelter, sleeping system, clothing and gear necessary to be comfortable primitive camping for two nights.
• Bring your own food and backpacking stove for all the meals and snacks you will need.
• Bring snacks/hors d'oeuvre to share potluck-style in camp.
• Sturdy work clothing and footwear. Long sleeves and pants encouraged to minimize bleeding.
• Sun glasses/safety glasses for eye protection.
• Container for at least 2 qts of water while working.
• Hard hats, work gloves, and tools will be provided. You may bring your own if desired.
• Tecnu or similar for poison oak if you need it. There is some poison oak in the area.
• A sun shower may be nice.
FOR QUESTIONS OR DETAILS:
Steve Cypher, [masked]