All are welcome on this hike and beginners are highly encouraged to join this great introductory backpack trip! Experienced backpackers will be leading this event to help you along the way and to answer any questions you may have.
***There is $5 voluntary fee to attend this event. This will help cover the cost of the campsites that have been reserved. Payment can be made at the event.
***In exchange for allowing a larger group of people to attend this trip we've partnered with the local ranger to help clean up portions of the beach area along the Potomac River on this trip. Trash bags will be provided and helping clean up is voluntary but appreciated.
Mostly known for day hikes, Caledon State Park began renting 6 primitive campsites near the Potomac River back in 2014. We'll be hiking 3.5 miles of fire roads from the Visitor Center to the campsites near the river.
• Each site is a framed, sand-filled pad with a fire ring, lantern post and picnic table. Sites are 24 x 36 ft. Three to four tents per site are possible.
• Campers must set up on the framed area.
• No potable water. Campers must bring water for drinking and cooking.
• The campground has a portable toilet. No electricity or showers.
Note: This is a backpacking trip. Make sure you have the proper gear by the time of the trip.
DAY 1 - Drive to Visitor Center, arrive shortly after 2:00 pm. Hike 3.5 miles to campsites. Set up camp, start a campfire, and enjoy the evening!
DAY 2- Have breakfast and feel free to take a morning hike in the park. Break camp. Hike 3.5 miles back to the Visitor Center.
• Hiking Distance: 7 miles
• Hiking Pace: Moderate (about 2 miles per hour)
• Trail Terrain: gravel, dirt
• Difficulty: Easy-to-Moderate
• More Info: Caledon State Park (http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/caledon.shtml#general_information)
• What to Bring: Backpacking Checklist (https://www.rei.com/content/dam/documents/pdf/Gear%20Checklists/Printer%20Friendly/Backpacking_Checklist_PDF.pdf)
• Organizer Will Provide: Trail maps, driving directions, basic first aid kit
• Dogs Not Allowed
• Carpool Location: Carpool 1:00 pm from commuter lot behind Virginia Family Dentistry in Ashland (10500 Atlee Station Rd, Ashland, VA 23005)
• Recommended Payment to Drivers: $25 per vehicle, to be divided evenly by the passengers and driver
• Return Time: 1pm or earlier, depending on departure time
• Cancellation: If weather becomes an issue, call or check your email for updates before leaving.
• Hiker Responsibilities (https://www.meetup.com/Virginia-Backpacking/pages/23716484/Hiker_Responsibilities).
• Liability Disclaimer (https://www.meetup.com/Virginia-Backpacking/pages/23716390/Liability_Disclaimer).