Join us as we play the starring role in a tour of London’s historic West End with the help of British acting icon Ian McKellen.
Taking you from theatre to theatre on a route from Leicester Square through to Covent Garden, Embankment and The Strand, Ian will whisper secrets of the stage and tell the story of some of the capital’s most fascinating buildings.
You’ll also learn the stories of the actors, architects and managers who shaped this unique part of London, turning it from one of the city’s most disreputable slums to the glittering heart of British theatre. Ian will also recount fascinating stories from his illustrious career on the stage as you walk – his favourite venues, his least favourite performances and where he made his professional acting debut.
You'll need a smartphone (Android or iPhone) and a pair of earphones. Our voice-guided walk will last just over an hour.
VoiceMap uses your smartphone’s GPS device to play audio at specific locations. After downloading the audio walk using the instructions below, you can put your phone in your pocket and start walking.
1) Install VoiceMap in the Google Play Store (bit.ly/getvoicemap) or App Store (bit.ly/voicemap) 2) Sign in or create an account
3) Select London from the list of locations
4) Then select " Theatreland Tour with Ian McKellen"
5) Tap on the red download button. The audio walk is free. Allow ALL the files to finish downloading before you close the app.
6) When the download is finished, the download button will change from red to green, and instead of seeing the price, you'll see the word "Start". You're ready to go!
Take a look at what's in store, before or after downloading the audio walk in-app: https://voicemap.me/tour/london/theatreland-tour-with-ian-mckellen