Let yourself be transported back in time to the London of Charles Dickens. You'll hear tales from his great great great granddaughter about historic London streets - many of which inspired Dickens' famous novels. You'll discover what made him such a passionate writer, and how strongly his work was shaped by his childhood. This audio walk - created and narrated by Dickens' descendant and acclaimed author Lucinda Dickens Hawksley - ends at the only remaining house of Charles Dickens in London, The Charles Dickens Museum. There will be time to visit the museum after the walk (with discounted admission), and an opportunity to meet Lucinda Hawksley.
We'll meet at 11am at the audio walk's starting point: Chancery Lane station, at the junction of Gray's Inn Road and High Holborn (north side). If arriving by tube, leave the station via exit 2.
The walk itself takes around an hour, depending on how often you stop for photos, and we'll reconvene in the museum afterwards.
VoiceMap is an audio tour app that plays stories about your surroundings while you walk. The iOS and Android apps use your smartphone’s GPS device to pinpoint your exact location, and play audio automatically.
You’ll need: a smartphone (Android or iPhone) with VoiceMap's app installed (and battery life), and a pair of headphones.
To experience the Charles Dickens from Furnival's Inn to Doughty Street audio tour, follow these simple steps:
1. Install VoiceMap for iPhone or Android
2. Sign up with email or Facebook. Look for “Charles Dickens from Furnival's Inn to Doughty Street” in the London menu.
3. Tap on the red download button. The audio walk costs £3.99. You can pay using your iTunes and Google Wallet accounts. Allow all the files to finish downloading before you close the app.
4. When the download is finished, the download button will change from red to green, and instead of seeing the price, you'll see the word "Start".
5. VoiceMap works offline and doesn’t require any data
Share the event or invite your friends via Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/1788682394685563/