addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Matthew B.
Maverick-Knight
Silver Spring, MD
Post #: 40
I’m looking to start a good game with players who enjoy participating in a good story. I like story-based games where the characters are more than just numbers on a page, and I try to craft a campaign to match the group I’m with.

The game will most likely be 4e D&D, though I’m open to 3e or Cortex if more people want that. I have a custom campaign setting that I’d like to try out, but Eberron and 2e/3e era Forgotten Realms are also in the running. If it’s a Cortex game then there are various options including the Serenity RPG and various custom fantasy or sci-fi settings I can provide.

I have one player already, Rick on this group. He has volunteered a very impressive gaming room, with the only stipulation being that the game be regular and the players attend reliably. His gaming room is stocked with plenty of miniatures, scale buildings, maps, a dry erase board, and a projector. There is also a microwave, toaster oven, and a mini-fridge.

The location is a house in Annandale near Gallows Road and Arlington Boulevard; parking is available, and is ten minutes’ walk from the Fairfax Hospital Metrobus stop. Carpooling may be available from Maryland; I live in Silver Spring and would travel along 495 to get to this game. (Those riding with me must be non-smokers, and willing to tolerate my sometimes odd tastes in music and radio.)

Post here or send me a private message if you're interested!
A former member
Post #: 7
Thanks, Matthew. Let's try to meet up this week if you have time.. otherwise the weekend. I work in Crystal City so should be easy enough to get someplace convenient.

As for gaming days.. I'd like to keep one weeknight per week and/or pull a long session on a Sat or Sun weekly or every other week. As long as the group is commited and can give ideally a week, but at least a couple days notice if we should make a change. My schedule is flexible but I don't want to play musical chairs every month, not to mention we may get a couple players with regular obligations in the evenings or weekends who cannot easily shift their schedule. Life happens... but just want people to be considerate and little foresighted! :)

We can always pull one venue that will be an anchor, whether D&D (I could dig a 3e FR long-term campaign and switch off DM-ing occassionally) or another system, then maybe toss in a weekend session every now and again try out something new. I've been itching to pull out the dragons and castle diorama for all-out mayhem!

See the original post if interested and click "Like" to keep it at the top as we get a group together! :)
Rick's Post
Matthew B.
Maverick-Knight
Silver Spring, MD
Post #: 44
I'm currently self-employed and work at home (it's not as fun as the ads make it out to be) so I have an extremely flexible schedule. I can meet up with you at pretty much any time this week.

For game days, I'm fine with either a once-a-week or once-every-two-weeks game. If we have a long session (not likely for working professionals, but hey, we always want to relive those days!), I'd work in a good stand-and-stretch break or two to avoid mental fatigue. Mostly mine, admittedly.

I would prefer 4e rules, just as an ease-of-use issue, but I detest what they did to the Realms in the update. I've never run a Realms game, though I've participated in a few and wouldn't mind trying it out. Having an experienced Realms player on hand would be helpful as well.

I have to say that the first thought in my mind when I read your description of your building models was "Large-scale D&D rolling battle," split into at least two mini-battles (leaving time for rest and regrouping in between) and taking advantage of whatever 3D terrain you have. That was a lot of trouble in 3e D&D, but the new edition emphasizes movement in a way that really helps make battlemaps interesting. (One of the complaints about 4e was that it "requires" minis. It's more like they managed to make setting up battlemaps and minis actually interesting.)
A former member
Post #: 8
I'm interested in playing- know I've beaten it to death but: will play any ruleset, would love to do realms, and weeknight would be better than weekend :) - Burke VA centered, will travel!
A former member
Post #: 8
Well we're shooting for my pad in Annandale since I have all the gear... and wanna give it some use. We may consider different locals from time to time, but would like to make my place central.

I have alot of old school FR stuff as well as a good amount of the erm... wanna say 3.5. No 4.0 intetionally. Willing to try, but sunk so much into the first 4 editions (incl. 3.5) it just aint worth it at this point~
A former member
Post #: 9
I'm down for 3.5... are you still talking weeknights?
Michael
user 13054221
Mc Lean, VA
Post #: 1
I'm totally down for which ever edition you so choose. Note that I don't have much experience but come on... it's roleplaying and I love fantasy lol. just let me know when ever so I can plan accordingly. btw...weekends are best for me. weekdays are impossible.
Matthew B.
Maverick-Knight
Silver Spring, MD
Post #: 45
Rick, don't worry about books. I've run campaigns in both 3e and 4e where the I was only person who owned a single D&D book. The 4e character sheet is short and punchy; actually, it could be even smaller, and before the Character Builder program came out my old gaming group used a custom OpenOffice template I created. Even after I moved away and others got the Character Builder subscription, some of them still preferred to use the custom sheet.

I can walk you through the edition update in about half an hour; it's that simple, and the biggest hangups for veterans like yourself are really just the small things rather than anything big. On top of that, using the Character Builder and the online Compendium makes it very easy to find the building blocks for a character, rather than going through multiple books.

I'd guess that you could create a 4e character with my help in about an hour. Two hours, tops, if you want to understand the ins and outs of the rules aspects on the first go.

I can loan you some of my books to browse through if you prefer to go at your own pace. If we do a Realms game rather than one of my custom worlds (it depends mainly on what sort of campaign we want to play), then I'd probably swap them for some of your old Realms books. I have a bunch myself, but you probably have one or two that I don't have. (Especially if you have any of the Volo's Guides. I love those books, but they're hard to find. WotC had a couple up for free download for a while, and I have a dead-tree version of the Guide to the North; my first-ever RPG book, actually. I found it in a library sale and thought it looked interesting.)

Oh, also, I'm pretty open about altering some rules, within reason, to reflect a character concept or to preserve something more traditional. For example, my standard houserule is that there is no such thing as the eladrin race; 4e Realms did something similar, where eladrin are the sun and moon elves, while the "true" elves are the green/wood and wild elves, but all are considered elves. In my houserule, elves simply have two stat blocks to chose from and in the game world no one can tell the difference. (The eladrin/elf thing is a bit of a pet peeve for me.)

If the request is for 3e (3.5 technically, but I just lump it together), I'll have a bit of a re-learning curve; I haven't run a 3e game in almost three years, though I played in one that ended pretty much exactly two years ago. I won't be quite as polished with my DMing style, and will probably toss in a lot of 4e aspects that I wish I'd thought of myself years ago (like minions . . . so simple, yet we never got it in previous editions).

Game day is pretty flexible for me at present. I think weekends are probably more open for others, though. I'm a player in another game in Falls Church on Sunday afternoons, so I can't do it from about noon to five; but I can switch gears for another game in the evening, and I'd be in the area (relatively) anyway. Other than that, I have no real preference.
A former member
Post #: 10
I'm super interested in participating in this game... it sounds like you really have your act together! Unfortunately, weekends are totally a no go. Stoked for FA if we can swing it.
A former member
Post #: 9
Well, its all sounding good! I'd honestly like to keep with 3e/3.5 if you don't mind. I don't mind to learn 4e, but I have a tendency to want to have my own books and need to hold off on additional expenditures for now! :) And.. maybe feeling a little old school~ Maybe we can roll into later if the group gets on board with it?

I am up for weekdays~ its my place after all! :p List for me preferred days~ I would say Tues or Wed, and starting from 6-ish but hopefully before 7? If we get folks interested and someone wants to run an alternate campaign, we can throw in a weekend day a couple times a month as well...

May I suggest... since we seem to be leaning toward toward FR... we make a new thread (with your agreement) "Forgotten Realms 3/3.5 weekday group Annandale" or the like?

Also, as we plan, I need to know what folks might take the metro. Dunn Loring is the nearest metro train, and there are regular buses from there to Fairfax Hospital. There is a bus to the hospital from Fair Oaks Mall, Ballston, Vienna and Springfield as well. But would like to arrange for rides for convenience.... and especially in the evening buses can get scarce so want to make sure folks who wanna play can get home!

Finally... for those interested, let's plan to meet up informally! Anyone free Thurs or Fri? Wanna suggest meeting for a coffee or dinner. Don't mind meeting individually based on your shedules as well until we get the group together. If you have some time, let me know where is convenient... ideally city hubs since I metro to work! Ballston, Tysons, King St, etc.