addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Raleigh-Durham Web Design Group Message Board Archival Forum › How Well Do You Understand CSS Positioning?

How Well Do You Understand CSS Positioning?

Bryan
user 7335984
Morrisville, NC
Post #: 17
I know a few months ago, there was alot of talk about CSS positioning, one of my friends wrote a post about how to position with CSS, and thought it might be useful for some people here.

It explains the box model, as well as the difference between absolute, relative, fixed positioning, etc.

You can post follow up questions on his blog or here! Css Positioning

Added link*
A former member
Post #: 39
Hi, Bryan. Is there a URL missing from this post?
Mitch A.
Mitch.Amiano
Rolesville, NC
Post #: 106
Bryan, after seeing the link I agree he has a good explanation of the distinctions among positioning schemes. I like the bit of treatment he gives to the conflicts among the models and misconceptions, toward the bottom, though it is worth another posting just on that subject alone.

As a complete tangent,
When people complain about CSS they are often referring to one of two things:
1) Layout (including positioning)
2) The Cascade

Both were experimental when CSS was first drafted, and were not adopted without considerable debate in the community. In truth, this experimental aspect is just why none of the W3C documents are considered standards in the strict sense of the word. Neither are any of the XML or HTML specifications. They are not even representative of best practices. They are just Recommendations (sometimes for vaporware) from a vendor consortium.

Some Recommendations arose from solid prior work with compromises to reduce the complexity. The XML family of specifications follows that pattern (XML Schema being a notable exception), condensing a great deal of thinking which was done by the ISO JTC 1/SC 34 . The ISO process was viewed as much slower than that of the W3C (which in fairness now appears to have become much slower itself) and Standards are often characteristically over-engineered, but they did demonstrate other means of expressing layout. In particular, the DSSSL language formed the intellectual predecessor for the paged and scrolled layout models expressed in XSL-FO. I keep thinking it would be really neat to have aspects of that model exposed through a CSS module (and if I remember CSS3 does do some column flowing and template layouts), in a way that bypasses the more confusing aspects of (1).