addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Raleigh-Durham Web Design Group Message Board Book Reviews › The Art of SEO - O'Reilly book review

The Art of SEO - O'Reilly book review

Beth
Beth_writes
Apex, NC
Post #: 54
Book Review for The Art of SEO - Mastering Search Engine Optimization

The Art of SEO, by Eric Enge, Stephan Spencer, Rand Fishkin, and Jessie Stricchiola, is a new book published by O'Reilly this year. Each of the authors is the owner and principal of an SEO consulting firm and has been a notable SEO practitioner for several years. You can be reasonably sure that this book contains the most up-to-date thinking in the fast-moving field of search optimization.

The book's title plays on a key point that, although there is a science to SEO, the search engine algorithms are too complex to "reverse engineer" and be completely predictable. Therefore, a good SEO practitioner will rely just as much on intuition, hypothesis, and testing to creatively engineer SEO success.

I enjoyed reading this book. It's well written and has a consistent, objective voice throughout. The majority of the content was useful and informative from my perspective as a web copywriter. I already knew something about the subject which helped. It may not be the best entry-level book for the beginner. However, a motivated beginner would be rewarded for their effort. I think the book successfully addresses two audiences, the business owner or marketing consultant with a more than casual interest in SEO, and the professional SEO practitioner or web developer who would appreciate the in-depth technical and architectural issues that impact SEO.

The chapter on Keyword Research is the most useful information I have read on the subject. It gives you detailed examples on the usage of three top keyword research tools, as well as other useful tools, and will probably be the most appreciated by the majority of readers.

Overall, this is a comprehensive text and reference book that the serious SEO student or professional will want to keep around.