POWER UP THE PUPS!
LET'S HIT THE GREEN ROCK TO START OFF 2017!
One of our most difficult hikes! The Green Rock Trail is a lot of fun, an out-and-back hike on rugged, hilly, rocky terrain. Expect to go slow on slopes/difficult spots. Nothing level here, and a few big rock cliffs to negotiate.
DIFFICULT terrain/trail surface in spots
MODERATE/RELAXED pace, NOT A FAST-PACED HIKE.
However, it is NOT for beginners. We will walk at a relaxed/moderate pace with stops when necessary to water the dogs, take pictures, enjoy the scenery, or tighten up the pack. YOU ARE EXPECTED TO WALK AT THE GROUP PACE. If you're out of shape (slow), or if you're a power walker (fast), this is not the hike for you.
PLEASE DON'T SIGN UP, IF IT'S NOT WHAT YOU WANT!
The trail is dirt...frozen/muddy, depending on weather. We will hike for about 1.5 hours, and then return the same way. Mostly uphill out, mostly downhill coming back (yeah), but there are some ups and downs and some great rock outcroppings to climb.
ABOUT 6 MILES. Allow 3 hours.
LUNCH...Those who want to go can take the pups to the Big Chief Restaurant (heated, covered patio) for lunch after the hike. One dog/person at restaurants. I'll double check to be sure they're open and I'll let you know.
• Arrive early, we hit the trail PROMPTLY at 10:00.
•PLEASE, BRING WATER FOR YOUR DOG! Lots of it.
• NO WATERING HOLES ALONG THE TRAIL. Any creeks may be frozen. We stop often to water our pups. Pack Members are expected to have their own water...this is important! All dogs need water, even when it's cold.
• NO BIKERS
• Hiking boots/shoes required here for safety
• DOGS MUST BE KEPT ON SHORT LEASH - NO RETRACTABLES.
• Although some dogs may get off leash at times, not all will be allowed to run. If your dog does not stay with you and runs wild in the woods, you will be asked to keep the leash on.
Please don't be offended by this.
THE DOGS MUST STAY WITH THE GROUP AND MUST COME IMMEDIATELY WHEN CALLED, OR BE KEPT ONLEASH.
Print a map of the park from this link to show trails and roads.
PLEASE...Use mapping feature above for road map/turn-by-turn directions, if you've never been here. Meet at the Education Center, about 1.5 miles up into the park.
Either Hwy 44 or Hwy 100/Manchester Road to HIGHWAY 109 to WOODS. Go WEST on Woods about 500', then immediately right through the gates into the park.