addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-leftarrow-right-10x10arrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

Chicago's West Suburbs LGBTQ+ Connection Message Board › Update on what's going on with the group

Update on what's going on with the group

A former member
Hi guys and gals,

I've had a ridiculously busy last week and a half and haven't been able to get this message typed up and sent out. I'm sorta forcing it in tonight because you all deserve to know there's no chance of this group disappearing any time soon, and the message-board discussion of even a remote possibility of that is now moot.

For those who didn't hear, Jeff Nichols has stepped down as the organizer of our group. He was faced with an imminent renewal of his organizer subscription ($90 for six months) and came to the decision that he and Seth wanted to back off somewhat on their investment of time and energy with this group. Since (a) I had been doing some event organizing to help him out, and (b) I was already the organizer of a different group and was already paying a subscription of my own, Jeff nominated me as his successor and I accepted it. At first I was unsure what Jeff meant by the $90 -- whether it was a renewal of his organizer subscription or some totally different fee on top of that. Had it been the latter, I mused on the message board that I would have problems with that as well; but fortunately, within a day or so, I was able to figure out that it was merely a renewal of Jeff's subscription and not something hanging over the future of the whole group. So I can now definitively clear it up that the group isn't going anywhere anytime soon, and anybody who was worried about it because of my message board post can take a deep breath. :-)

I want to take a moment here to thank Jeff for his work with this group, and I hope you all feel the same. He did a lot to keep the group vibrant, always coming up with new and different ideas for things to do. And he worked hard at it when needed, too; not every event comes off without any legwork behind the scenes, especially the brunches. I hope to follow the example he set to the best of my ability.

This is where I call upon all of you for some help in my new role. If you have any ideas for things to do that Jeff or I haven't come up with, or different/better venues for things we've already done, or are willing to share some of the cost of keeping the group going, or would even like to join the leadership team as an event organizer or co-organizer, please let me know. I will gladly welcome any and all of the above, and pretty much any idea or suggestion to improve and grow the group and/or the things we do. I can be reached at larryharvilla@gmail.com­ .

Hope to see you soon at one or more of our events.

Larry Harvilla