addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

WESTCHESTER GEEKS Message Board › Lunacon Science Fiction Convention in Rye Town, New York March 19 - 21, 2010.

Lunacon Science Fiction Convention in Rye Town, New York March 19 - 21, 2010.

Phil De P.
user 9192710
Waldwick, NJ
Post #: 29
Hi, Everyone.

I'm surprised that no one has said anything about the Lunacon Science Fiction Convention being held the Weekend of March 19 - 21, 2010. It's in Westchester County at the Rye Town Hilton in Rye Brook, New York.

Here's a link to their website: http://2010.lunacon.o...­.

Since some of you may have never attended a convention of this sort, here's an edited version of something I posted at <www.sfabc.org>:

Literary Conventions

Literary Conventions are held annually in or around most major cities in the country and in many other lands as well. In many cases, the term literary is a misnomer. A Literary Convention's primary focus may be on science fiction literature, but there are usually numerous events devoted to art, games, movies, television, anime, manga, other media.

The celebrities of Literary Conventions are writers and other people associated with the publishing industry: editors, literary agents, bookcover artists, and the like. One of the important differences between Literary and Media Conventions is the degree of accessibility to the literary celebrities. It is usually possible to chat for a few minutes and swap email addresses with a writer before or after a talk, signing, reading, or in the hotel bar or at a party at the hotel. This is rarely the case with television/movie celebrities at a Media Convention.

Most Literary Conventions are organized by a local science fiction club associated with a particular city or geographic area. The convention sponsor (club) is a non profit corporation. The people running them are unpaid volunteers. Unlike the Media Convention, the Literary Convention itself is planned as a three day event, with distinct activities happening each day, although there are a number of one day attendees as well.

Most Literary Conventions have one or more Guests of Honor. The GOH is normally someone with an established following who lives outside the geographic area of the convention local. There is normally an Author Guest of Honor. There may be additional GOHs including (but not limited to) Artist GOH, Fan GOH, Special Guest, and/or Toastmaster.

A decent sized Literary Con normally has several events occuring at the same time. One room may feature a talk with Q & A by a writer. An artist may be giving a slide show of their art in the next room. A third room may have a discussion of a television series. Another room may be showing a movie. There may be a talk by a science expert in another area, as well as an autographing area and a space where writers read from their work.

There may also be rooms set aside for one or more of the following events: viewing anime, playing fantasy games (D&D, Warhammer, etc), a dealers room for books, videos and other materials, an art show with displays of professional and amatuer works of art for sale.

I'm there every year.

Maybe I'll see some of you there.

Best wishes.

Phil De Parto
SFABCPhil at gmail.com
Mark
VBWyrde
White Plains, NY
Post #: 81
Thanks for the info! That sounds great.

:)
Mark
A former member
Post #: 3
I'm totally there! I competed last year in the masquerade, which was a lot of fun, but I'm in the middle of a costume for Costume-con next year so will just be watching this year smile The art show and the dealer's room are AMAZING!!!