addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-leftarrow-right-10x10arrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

Westchester for Change Message Board › Sweeney Hydraulic Fracturing Moratorium Bill A11443B - MAKE CALLS TO SPEAKER

Sweeney Hydraulic Fracturing Moratorium Bill A11443B - MAKE CALLS TO SPEAKER SILVER TODAY!

Susan Van D.
user 12033992
Group Organizer
White Plains, NY
Post #: 1
Susan Van Dolsen
ALBANY BLITZ TODAY- PLEASE SPEAKER SILVER TODAY!
Action: Call and say: Bring the Sweeney hydraulic fracturing moratorium bill A11443B to the Assembly floor for a vote and pass the bill!

The NY State Senate passed their version of the bill in August and if the Assembly does not vote on during Special Session this month, the progress will be lost!

Call: Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver: 518-455-3791 or 212-312-1420, If you have not seen the Oscar-nominated film, GASLAND, you can learn about hydro-fracking and its detrimental effects on the website gaslandthemovie.com http://gaslandthemovi...­ or visit www.unitedforaction.org for information from our affiliated NYC group, United for Action.
Mike O
mikeo42
Paris, FR
Post #: 1
When I checked status on this bill, it says, "12/01/2010 DELIVERED TO GOVERNOR" - is there any more information available? Do we need to remind the governor to sign?
Susan Van D.
user 12033992
Group Organizer
White Plains, NY
Post #: 2
When I checked status on this bill, it says, "12/01/2010 DELIVERED TO GOVERNOR" - is there any more information available? Do we need to remind the governor to sign?
Thanks, Mike, for asking about this. PLEASE CALL GOVERNOR PATERSON AND URGE HIM TO SIGN THIS BILL INTO LAW IMMEDIATELY! 518-474-8390
Mike O
mikeo42
Paris, FR
Post #: 2
Two other points:
(1) The bill expires in May 2011 - hardly a permanent fix.
(2) "Paterson has ten days to sign the bill, or it becomes law automatically." Of course, he might veto it too....
======================================­===============================
Thanks, Mike, for asking about this. PLEASE CALL GOVERNOR PATERSON AND URGE HIM TO SIGN THIS BILL INTO LAW IMMEDIATELY! 518-474-8390
Susan Van D.
user 12033992
Group Organizer
White Plains, NY
Post #: 3
Two other points:
(1) The bill expires in May 2011 - hardly a permanent fix.
(2) "Paterson has ten days to sign the bill, or it becomes law automatically." Of course, he might veto it too....
======================================­===============================
The 5 month moratorium is only a temporary fix. We are working on reaching out to the incoming Cuomo administration and are also hoping to show Gasland again in 2011 coupled with an educational forum. We'll continue to keep in touch with our various contacts in the environmental world on this issue. Thanks for keeping involved and interested.
A former member
Post #: 106
As of July, 2011:

Governor Cuomo is going to lift the moratorium on fracking after the Natural Gas Industry convinced him with THEIR research that hydrofracking is safe and will not cause environmental damage. It's been reported that jobs will be created and economies in the North Country of New York would get a "much needed boost" with the Natural Gas Industry hydrofracking upstate.

So, as usual, when money is concerned, money wins out over the environment, our health, and common sense!

All hail the Most Holy Almighty Dollar - Praise be to Capitalism!! :\
Rachel E.
user 11954175
Harrison, NY
Post #: 7
Hi all:

I am not sure if any of you heard it, but our own Susan Van Dolsen called into the discussion of fracking on WNYC's Brian Lehrer Show. Here is the link, and it is worth listening to: Brian Lehrer Show Segment on Fracking. Susan did a great job explaining the concerns and fielding Lehrer's questions.

Have Great 4th, and keep calling!

All the best,
Rachel
A former member
Post #: 113
Had went to the WFC's screening of "Gasland" in Rye, NY. When I went and did a Google search for "Gasland", the VERY FIRST link (a paid link) was from the America's Natural Gas Alliance (anga.us) entitled "The Truth About Gasland" - making Josh Fox out to be a liar and that the film is "deliberately misleading".

Here's the link: http://anga.us/truthaboutgasland?gclid=CKuIj_Gmz6sCFY125Qod6AilZQ­

They stated that those that ignited their faucets were tested by the gas companies and they found it to be "naturally occurring methane" - that their water wells tapped into natural gas pockets and it seeped into their water and that's why the natural gas is in their water, not the result of fracking. I dont' know, my Uncle has had well water for years and it's NEVER had such contaminants - the only thing he's ever had was having to treat the well occasionally because of naturally forming bacteria (which occurs with underground water because there's many living creatures in our world, including microscopic ones!)

Hmm, these people NEVER had any of these problems with methane in their water wells, but suddenly, their well digs are "hitting" methane pockets AFTER the gas companies started fracking? Hmmmm.....

Then the part about the animals being found dead near streams, WITH BUBBLING METHANE COMING OUT OF IT, the gas companies determined it was from "coal mine runoff" contamination.

Hmmm - the coal mining has gone on for many, MANY years in the area, but the fish started dying because of coal mining runoff AFTER the fracking was being done in the area. What an unfortunate coincidence, huh?! Hmmmm.......

Quite frankly, considering how "hush-hush" the gas companies are being about their operations, not wanting to disclose their chemicals used in fracking, that their employees can ONLY see doctors paid for by the gas companies and they can NEVER talk about the chemicals, drilling practices, and everything else the gas companies hide from the public with threats of unemployment, and that they've only started the full, all-out drilling efforts AFTER G.W. Bush exempted them from the Clean Water Act, Clean Air Act, Safe Drinking Water Act, and the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA) in his and Dick Cheney's Energy Policy Act of 2005 , I'll believe Josh Fox over ALL their supposed "facts" any day!

The gas company people are so full of you-know-what, that they could mine methane from THEM instead of the Earth!!
A former member
Post #: 119
Governor Cuomo seems to want to allow hydrofracking on a limited scale, and it seems that our efforts ARE being heard in Albany

Here's a NY Times article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/14/nyregion/hydrofracking-under-cuomo-plan-would-be-restricted-to-a-few-counties.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss&src=igw­
A former member
Post #: 120
While looking up other information, I found this Reuters link:
Waterless Fracking Method Could Sidestep NY Gas Drilling Ban

Industry Motto: Can't get what you want one way, try something "New" to confuse your opponents.

The Reuters article had said that this "waterless fracking" would be done with a petroleum/propane based "gel" instead of water and chemicals.

So, I have some questions (feel free to add more):

1) How does the gel get injected?
2) What is IN the gel (chemical makeup)?
3) What happens to the gel when it's used?
4) Where does the gel go after it's in the well?

Why do I have a sinking feeling that if we were to accept this new fracking method (called LPG Fracking), that we would be trading one environmental disaster for another?

Oh yeah, the article mentions that the company trying to sell New York on gas fracking is based in Houston, TX and the company to do the actual drilling is based in Calgary, Alberta (Canada). BOTH companies have NO vested interest in New York other than making money - the "big whigs" of both companies DON'T live here in which case as long as they're making money, who cares about what happens to the environment, or the people who live here. The environmental, social and health damages they cause are hundreds of miles from where they live!

I don't trust them any farther than I can throw them!!