Jun 1, 2013 · 10:00 AM
This location is shown only to members
*** No need to RSVP "NO" if not attending ***
One of my favorite places to take you guys cycling last year was to the many beaches dotting the shores of the tri-state area. Rockaway beach being one of my favorites. I've been hesitant to take you people on another jaunt out there this year after the devastation of Hurricane Sandy but the forecast this weekend is going to be positively summer like and I can resist no longer. To da beach we ride!
The plan ...
After assembling in City Hall Park, we'll cycle across the Brooklyn Bridge, winding our way through the various nabes of Brooklyn and Queens, and crossing the Marine Parkway Bridge onto the Rockaways Peninsula. This is the home of Rockaway Beach and boardwalk, one of the hidden gems of NYC.
Our first stop -- lunch! We're going to do our bit to help the area economy by stuffing our bellies with the many culinary delights offered by the revered beachside institution -- Rockaway Taco (cash only). The menu is littered with a variety of Mexican inspired fare but this place is known best for one thing and one thing only -- having the best fish tacos outside of Southern California. But don't take my word for it, check the Yelp reviews.
Now that we are fat and lazy, you can't have a beach ride without actually going TO the beach. Bring a towel and your beach togs and we'll enjoy the location for a little bit, shooting the breeze while kicked back on the sand. The parks department have been hustling to get the waterfront access open for the summer crowds so let's show our appreciation. Once we're done here, the more hardy among us can pedal back to Manhattan or you can hang your head in shame and take the subway home.
A $2.00 organization fee will be collected at this event, your host is in the running for the title of hardest working person at meetup.
Cue sheet for the ride http://goo.gl/maps/6fSI2. Print and bring it so you can catch up with the group in case you get separated.
Secondary Pick Up Location: Grand Army Plaza, Brooklyn, at 10:45 AM. We will meet at the intersection of Prospect Park West and Plaza Street West, right where the bike lane begins on Prospect Park West.
The important stuff ...
- This is going to be a casually-paced (10 - 12 mph) ride of about 36 miles round trip. You must be comfortable riding in a group and in traffic. Helmets are the smart choice.
- Make sure your bike is in good working order before the meetup and bring a lock to leave our cycles. Bring a patch repair kit, air pump, and spare inner tube.
- Check your email the evening before you head out for last minute meetup updates as well as my mobile phone number which will be posted in the comment section.
- Please DO NOT RSVP if you do not seriously plan to attend as space is limited. No flakes allowed! If you RSVP and I notice that you have a number of no shows or have a history of last minute cancellations, you will be removed.
- Sorry, no guests allowed for this one.
- Rain cancels the meetup.