addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-leftarrow-right-10x10arrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

Wheyward Bound Cheesemaking Club of Sonoma County Message Board › bloomy rind maintenance ?

bloomy rind maintenance ?

A former member
Post #: 1
Hello cheesy people! (I mean that in a nice whey, I mean nice way)
I'm trying out making a bloomy rind cheese(Crottin!) for the first time, which seems to be going really well. I am wondering however, in the event that bluemolds or mucor show up- what is the method for wiping/salting/brining to be recommended? The recipe was slightly vague about details, and did not call for salting the cheese before it went in the ripening box...

A former member
Post #: 5
Good to see you at the shop today, Anna!

Are you using penicilium candidum and penicilium geotrichum? They are supposed to inhibit foreign mold growth. And the recipe didn't call for salting?!! Whaa?

Nancy's Camembert recipe calls for salting as you unmold the cheeses, and so does Peter Dixon's (I just had a look). I'm sure Crotin would be roughly the same.

The blue molds and mucor don't usually show up until sometime during the aging...but you should be salted and blooming by then. Assuming the cheese is in a sanitary fridge or environment, mucor growth on a white mold cheese is less likely because of the high population of molds already dominating the cheese. Air circulation, though, will be key. I've noticed that the mucor tends to show up when you fail to recirculate air or stifle air flow in some way. Opening the box and flipping daily tends to be enough to do the trick.

If the mucor show up on your soft cheese, you may have to either cut it out or toss the cheese.

Good luck, hope it blooms like a dream.
A former member
Post #: 3
you know, despite the vauge instructions and lack of salt, these little Crottins are just percolating along in the pantry all hunky-dory and none have signs of any bad molds. In the cheese cave at work, usually the black mold would show up within two or three days, and so it seems if they aren't there yet....they probably won't show up. (I hope)
A former member
Post #: 8
Very nice. Are you gonna post up some beautiful pics like Montie did?