addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Wheyward Bound Cheesemaking Club of Sonoma County Message Board › Club Questionnaire

Club Questionnaire

Nancy V.
HeadCheese
Group Organizer
Santa Rosa, CA
Post #: 5
Wheyward Bound Questionnaire

The steering committee would love to have your ideas for future programs and tours. Please take a few minutes to think about what you would like your club to accomplish in the coming year.

1. What is your cheese making skill level?
Beginner: have not yet made cheese or have made only fresh cheeses
Intermediate: Have made some pressed cheeses and have done some brining.
Advanced: Have been aging pressed cheeses, maybe have some experience in techniques such as waxing, cloth bandaging and/or making cheeses that have mold.
2. Are there specific cheese making techniques you would like to have demonstrated at a meeting?
3. Do you have a cheese you would like to show the club members how to make?
4. Is there somewhere you would like to see the club plan to visit?
5. Is there a particular speaker you would like the club to invite to a meeting?
6. What kind of meetings are you interested in?
Informative meetings with someone teaching?
Social gatherings?
Weekend trips to cheese related locations?
All of the above?
7. How have you learned to make cheese?
Did you take classes?
Are you self taught (using books)?

Any ideas you have are welcome. We look forward to hearing from you.
A former member
Post #: 1
from Jerry Pugh

I have been making cheese for maybe 4 years. I mainly have learned from books. (I like Gianaclis Caldwell's the best). I have also taken a couple of classes.
I have been successful with soft cheeses and white mold surfaced ripened cheeses. My efforts at washed curd and semihard cheeses has been hit or miss. I hope that Gianaclis's book can help me straighten them out.

I would like to learn how to make washed curd cheeses.

I would be happy to share some tricks I have learned after making a mistake with a cheese.

I would like to visit PennyRoyal Farm in Boonville.

No speaker that I know.

I am most interested in informative meetings.

A former member
Post #: 2
Hi,
1) I'm a beginner, fresh cheeses only so far! Chevre, ricotta, etc.
2) I'd be interested to attend a class to learn to make blue cheese
3) No
4) I've enjoyed all of the farm tours so far! There was a sheep farm tour I missed last year that I wanted to go to. The water buffalo farm in Tomales, Ramini Mozzarella, would be an interesting place to visit
5) No
6) Informative meetings, farm tours, social gatherings
7) Self taught using Beverage People recipes!

Jen
linda c.
WhoopsieCheese
Santa Rosa, CA
Post #: 4
Wheyward Bound Questionnaire

The steering committee would love to have your ideas for future programs and tours. Please take a few minutes to think about what you would like your club to accomplish in the coming year.

1. What is your cheese making skill level?
Intermediate: Have made Feta and Cabecou in addition to fresh cheeses
2. Are there specific cheese making techniques you would like to have demonstrated at a meeting? Cloth wrapped rinds
3. Do you have a cheese you would like to show the club members how to make? No
4. Is there somewhere you would like to see the club plan to visit? Buffalo Milk Farm
5. Is there a particular speaker you would like the club to invite to a meeting? Buffalo milk cheesemaker
6. What kind of meetings are you interested in? All of the above
I first took a class at Sur La Table, but overwhelmed with the cost (i.e. $400 for a constant water bath); 2nd class was fresh cheeses with Mary Karlin at the JC; 3rd class was salted cheese with Mary Karlin at Ramequins. Also various demonstrations at the Beverage People. Now I can experiment from recipes.

Any ideas you have are welcome. We look forward to hearing from you.

A former member
Post #: 8
1. What is your cheese making skill level? :
Advanced I guess (except when it comes to Mozzarella!)

2. Are there specific cheese making techniques you would like to have demonstrated at a meeting? Mozzarella (not the 30 minute kind). I have tried it twice failed.

3. Do you have a cheese you would like to show the club members how to make?
Blue Cheese. Using pH meters. Teaching the “flocculation” method of when to cut the curd. I enjoy demonstrating – last time I was a little long winded and threw out a lot of into. I’d hope to be more focused next time. Ideas?

4. Is there somewhere you would like to see the club plan to visit?
Any cheesemaking facility where we can actually *see* them making cheese.
Cowgirl Creamery. Bleating Heart. Bellwether. Nicassio Valley Cheese Co. Small producers (one woman/man shows).

5. Is there a particular speaker you would like the club to invite to a meeting?
Peter Dixon (we wish!). Maybe someone who teaches cheesemaking from the College of Marin program. Follow member Louella (the Milk Maid) [www.sfmilkmaid.com]. A small one woman/one man show producer.

6. What kind of meetings are you interested in?
Informal Question and Answer – fellow members asking others how-to questions; those who know chime in. (Never seem to have the time to ‘chat’ about cheese making questions.) Sort of “what are you making now” roundtable. Social gatherings at a member’s home focused on a “group make” of a cheese. Keeping the beginning, intermediate and advanced makers interested by keeping a variety of events that each would like.

Internet. Two Beverage People Classes. I highly recommend Gianaclis Caldwell’s “Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking: The Ultimate Guide for Home-Scale and Market Producers”. I've learned a lot about cheesemaking from posting at http://cheeseforum.or...­ . I read read read those postings ...

- Montie
A former member
Post #: 3
I am a beginner, learning from books and other newbies. Gianaclis was GREAT! I would like to see aged cheese made at home - the hard steps like matting, forming, pressing ideas besides a real press, aging caves .. Would love to go to a members house and see their set up.
Going to cheese companys would be fun, but I am really interested in home cheesemaking. Thanks!