addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-leftarrow-right-10x10arrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

Wheyward Bound Cheesemaking Club of Sonoma County Message Board › Making Mysost/Gjetost

Making Mysost/Gjetost

A former member
Post #: 1
Making Mysost/Gjetost

Before we get started…
Mysost (pronounced my-toast) is made from Cow’s milk, requires less cream and is milder in taste. Gjetost (pronounced get-toast) is made from Goat’s milk and requires more cream, and has a sharper flavor. Of course you can blend the types of whey, and sometimes, I’ll even fold in an old batch of Mysost with the new batch, if I have any lefty!

The taste profile changes depending on the type of cheese you are making as well. The batch I brought to the meeting was made from Parmesan made with Lipase. So it has a very warm almost buttery taste to it. If you are making this with Brie whey, it will be more savory and umami. With Cheddar Whey, it has a sharp tang to it. If you’re making a cheese that is ripening in the whey over several hours (Chevre) or overnight (Belper Knolle- you can find this recipe here: https://www.cheesemak...­ I adore this recipe!), it will have a very yogurty taste to it.

You can make this after you’ve made whey ricotta, but it will be a darker color, and more pungent, which can require more cream to get the taste where you want it to be, depending on how salty, sharp and pungent you’d like the cheese to become.

I make mine in the crockpot, and finish on the stove. It takes a bit longer, but it saves you babysitting time on the stove, and money in electricity and gas! These directions will be how I make mine, but if you do this on the stove, it’s essentially the same process, but would go faster (6-10 hours) because you have more control over the heat.

This stores quite easily, and is a very forgiving recipe. I usually start mine on Saturday evening (after my weekly cheesemaking adventure), and add the whey until it’s all in the crock pot (usually on Sunday morning/lunchtime). The cheese is usually ready for steps 5-13 on Sunday evening or Monday morning, depending on how hot the crockpot is, and the ambient room temperature. Don’t let it take longer than 4 days to make, of the taste will sour, and it won’t congeal right.

My favorite way to eat this is on buttered bread, apple slices, on a banana or Ritz crackers. But it’s great on and in everything! The next batch I make, I’ll add pictures so that you can see the progression of the whey.

Ingredients & tools:
-Whey from cheesemaking (I typically have 1 2/3 gallon left)
-Heavy Cream (I usually add about 1-1.5 cups)
-Ice
-Water
-Immersion blender
-Waxed paper lined dish/bowl/casserole pan
-slow cooker
-medium size pot
-Spatula

Steps:
1. Once you are done with your whey, pour as much into your crockpot as you can, and turn it to high. Leave the lid off, so that the liquid can evaporate.
2. Stir periodically, and scrape any of the curd or foam that sticks to the sides of the crockpot back in. (You will notice that as this cooks, the curd will start to separate from the whey, this is okay. Stir is back in, and don’t worry about the clumps.)
3. As the liquid evaporates, add more whey in, until you’ve added all the whey you have intended to use for this project.
4. Continue to cook the liquid until it has reached a stew like consistency.
5. Transfer all the liquid to the pot, and cook on the stove on medium to medium-high, stirring frequently to avoid the mixture burning. It will still be lumpy. Watch for it boiling over, and reduce heat as necessary.
6. It will start to take on a caramel like color, and be much thicker, like melted ice cream. Add heavy cream now to taste (start small, stir, taste as add more as needed).
7. Continue to boil this down, stirring frequently until you can see the bottom of the pot when you stir it, much like caramel or a thick gravy.
8. Prepare an ice water bath (I do this in my crockpot to wash less dishes).
9. Check your taste again, and add more cream if needed. (Be careful, the more cream you add, the less easily it will form into blocks).
10. Once you’ve reached the desired consistency (there will still be lumps, but it will be thick like pudding, caramel or thick gravy) and taste (by adding heavy cream), immediately turn off the heat, and rest the pot in the ice bath.
11. Stir frequently, and once it had cooled for a bit (no longer molten hot, use your immersion blender to smooth out the Mysost into a pudding like texture (do NOT skip this step! If you blend too late or not at all, you will have sugar crystals form, and they will create an off taste and texture).
12. Let the mixture cool until it is no longer hot to the touch, and then pour into your wax lined bowl/casserole pan.
13. Refrigerate overnight or up to 24 hours to allow it to congeal. (You can start eating this right away if you like!).
JulieEcho
julieecho
Rohnert Park, CA
Post #: 11
I have been thinking about this cheese since I first tried, when you brought it to the meetup. Thanks for posting the recipe. I am curious to give this recipe a try.
JulieEcho
julieecho
Rohnert Park, CA
Post #: 13
I made the Belper Knolle recipe in the link you provided. It was a huge hit for every body who tried. I plan to make it for the holidays as a gift. Thanks for the inspiration to make a recipe without ever trying it.