addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Willamette Earth Based Spirituality Message Board › Inside Pagans Getting out

Inside Pagans Getting out

elan
user 10385863
Group Organizer
Eugene, OR
Post #: 138
For all of you Pagans out there who have expressed interest in the Prison work that some of us are doing and said that they want to be part of it. Well now it's time to put your money (or at least your time) where you mouth is.

We at this point don't need people to go in, what we need is people that are willing to help them stay out.
There is a Faith Based part of the Prison system, it is called HGO or Home for Good in Oregon. The people that are part of it are from many different Faith Traditions. There is a training that volunteers have to go through. (This training is happening in Salem on Dec 1st, 2012)
The Volunteers are available for the guys to call if they need someone to talk to. They help them to fit in with their new faith community and help them get to (in our case) open and welcoming circles.
Oregon has a 27% recidivism rate (one of the lowest in the country) and it is partly because of this organization.

We have a # of these guys getting out soon. Like starting this Wed and going on through April there are about 10 guys being released. Many of them are being released to areas where they no longer have friends or family. Many of them have been in long enough to be completely lost with the technology. Many have been deserted by the people that should have supported and loved them. Most of them have indicated to me that they are terrified. They have been living in a very regimented environment for years and are already confused about what to do with sudden freedom. Many are not going to be in Lane county. We need Pagans and Pagan friendly people all over the state. (Grace, Roz, Rita and I are all UU Pagans)

These are are Pagan Brothers. Some are quite devout, some are very knowledgeable. All need support and it is more than I can do. There is a training happening in Salem on Dec. 1st. . I will be driving up for it and doing a refresher. Roz says that she is going to be there as well. If anyone is interested please contact me and we can ride up together if you would like.
elan
user 10385863
Group Organizer
Eugene, OR
Post #: 139
Here's the information that was missing;
December 1, 2012 Salem Metro Area
Registration contact: Chaplain Kelly Raths 503-373-1673
Facilitator:  Chaplain Kelly Raths 503-373-1673

Kelly's email: Kelly.A.Raths@doc.state.or.us

Date:​
Saturday, December 1st (RSVP by November 26th)
Time:​
8:30am to 1pm (Lunch provided)
Broadway Commons, Room 303 (Africa Room)
​1300 Broadway St. NE
​Salem OR

Here are some links to Web sites having to do with this program
http://www.oregon.gov...­

elan
user 10385863
Group Organizer
Eugene, OR
Post #: 140
December 2012
Salem Metro Area
Registration contact: Chaplain Kelly Raths 503-373-1673
Facilitator: Chaplain Kelly Raths 503-373-1673
Kelly's email: Kelly.A.Raths@doc.state.or.us

Date:
Saturday, December 1st (RSVP by November 26th)
Time:
8:30am to 1pm (Lunch provided)

Room 303 (Africa Room)

1300 Broadway St. NE

Salem OR
Kelly is on vacation until the 30th so please preregister @ her email address

Here are some web sites that explain the program better than I can;

Michael
user 36077002
Oakridge, OR
Post #: 28
Hello Elan,
I may be able to help in some ways. . .
OK to ride with you if I decide to take training?

Peace, Love and Abundance To Us All,
Michael and Cat Still The Bed Hog Harley
elan
user 10385863
Group Organizer
Eugene, OR
Post #: 141
Sure, it would be good to have someone down in your neck of the woods to be a support. So please contact Kelly right away so that you can get the pre-paper work.
elan
user 10385863
Group Organizer
Eugene, OR
Post #: 142
Sure, it would be good to have someone down in your neck of the woods to be a support. So please contact Kelly right away so that you can get the pre-paper work.
Michael
user 36077002
Oakridge, OR
Post #: 30
Thankz,

I e-mailed Kelly. Gave her my phone number and asked to be present at training. . .
Happy Turkey day and Peace, Love and Abundance To Us All,