This group is for anyone interested in crewing for hot air balloons. There may occasionally be opportunities to fly, as well. Generally requires early morning arrival and commitment to be there. If you're not there, we can't go fly! We'll teach you everything you need to know. Great opportunity to see a balloon up close, meet new friends, and have a great time.
Crew will receive the following perks:
• Crew Logbook so you can keep track of your crew experiences (first crew experience)
• Name Tag & Willamette Valley Balloons T-Shirt (second crew experience)
• With every 10 crew experiences, a gift certificate good for a private flight for two passengers. Note: If you happen to fly as a passenger during a flight, your crew count is reset to 0 for a gift certificate. Gift certificate may be used by yourself and a friend, saved, or given to friends/family/charities, etc. They may not be redeemed for cash value.
Crew members are required to sign the same liability waiver that passengers sign. The waiver releases Willamette Valley Balloons from any liability due to your involvement in crewing and allows us to use your picture/video for marketing purposes. Our insurance policy does cover crew members for medical purposes for any injury you may suffer while crewing.
Our crew members help with the following tasks during a flight. Please note that no experience is necessary. We’ll teach you everything you need to know.
• Moving the basket, envelope (fabric portion of the balloon) and fan into the proper position for inflation.
• Attaching the envelope to the basket.
• Holding the mouth of the envelope open during inflation.
• Operating the crown line (line that goes to the top of the balloon) while the pilot heats the air in the balloon to stand it up.
• Providing weight on the balloon before launch and after landing.
• Packing up the fan and other equipment used for inflation.
• Operating the radio used to communicate with the pilot.
• Chasing the balloon to its landing location – wherever that might be!
• Pulling the balloon over using the crown line.
• Deflation of the envelope.
• Packing up the envelope and basket.
• Refueling the fuel tanks with propane.
Please note that hot air balloons are very weather dependent. They require light winds, stable weather, and no rain in order to fly. As the ballooning season gets started this spring, many flights will likely be cancelled. We'll try to cancel them in far in advance as we can and notify you by cancelling the Meetup - likely 2-3 days ahead of time. If we cancel within 24 hours we will contact you via email/text/phone, as you prefer.
Please visit our website and join our facebook group: