You'll need to read this whole description and watch the video for the two secret words which will allow you to join. One secret word is in this description, the other is at the end of the video.
The Wineoceros Crash. What does it all mean? Wineoceros was a name I made up for a TV show I had in DC called The Wineoceros Show. Wineoceros is pronounced like rhinoceros but with a "W."
Why Crash? A group of rhinoceroses is called a crash. Who knew?! So we're a crash of wine lovers who like a good time. Being from Chicago, I learned a good time involved - alcohol, good conversation, games and being considerate. So we require the following (with bolded phrases being paramount):
1. First and foremost, this is a wine group so one must drink wine at our events.
2. To facilitate conversation, and to avoid that awkward moment of not remembering someone's name, we use name tags. Your first name goes on it and then below it, an answer to the question of the day.
I send the question of the day out by email the day of the event and I post on this website under the event description also. Please make sure you know the question when you arrive at the event. Fun, thoughtful answers really make a difference as far as interesting conversation!
3. We drop corks at each event. Enthusiastically participating in cork dropping is important. If you win at cork dropping, you’ll get a new car…..or something else. I can’t even count how many new cars were given away since the Crash’s inception, but even if you don’t win the car, you will win a prize valued at $5 or more to take home with you.
4. And this is kind of obvious but still worth mentioning, if you RSVP and can’t make it, change your RSVP to No….especially important now that the attendance is limited. Last minute cancellations or no-shows will result in your removal from the group.
If you bring a guest, please make sure they are aware of the above requirements.
5. While many of the attendees are single and join to meet someone to date, this is not meant to be a dating group. The Crash is about drinking wine, playing games, talking and having fun.
Women, if a guy bothers you or is overly persistent, please let me know and I can remove the guy instead of you just not coming back again. And guys, refrain from asking out a gal or asking for her number on her first visit (and maybe her second too) to the Crash. Let her ease into the group for Pete's sake. :)
6. We don't charge an upfront membership fee to give you a chance to attend an event to see if you like it. Once you have attended an event, we'll ask for a $10 minimum contribution to help offset the costs of running the group. The $10 is peanuts compared to the money you save on wine and food at the events plus the chance to win valuable prizes!
7. You can bring a person one time as a guest for free. Then, they can either join and pay the annual contribution or continue coming as a guest and pay $5 each time.
You can arrive and leave our events at any time. We're usually at a venue for at least three hours.
The one secret word is Good.
Come join us!
P.S. I also run another group for pickleball players: