What we're about
You'll need to read this whole description and watch the video for the two secret words which will allow you to join. One secret word is in this description, the other is at the end of the video.
The Wineoceros Crash. What does it all mean? Wineoceros was a name I made up for a TV show I had in DC called The Wineoceros Show. Wineoceros is pronounced like rhinoceros but with a "W."
Why Crash? A group of rhinoceroses is called a crash. Who knew?! So we're a crash of wine lovers who like a good time. Being from Chicago, I learned a good time involved - alcohol, good conversation, games and being considerate. So we require the following:
1. First and foremost, this is a wine group so one must drink wine at our events.
2. To facilitate conversation, and to avoid that awkward moment of not remembering someone's name, we use name tags. Your first name goes on it and then below it, an answer to the question of the day.
I send the question of the day out by email the day of the event and I post on this website under the event description also. Fun, thoughtful answers really make a difference as far as interesting conversation!
3. While I chose cork dropping in the beginning as the sole game for the Crash, I’m opening my mind to other cork games. Erin did a “Guess how many corks are in the jar” game at Bubbly Hours. Good idea Erin. You’re the best! And we might try cork tossing. Who knows what the game will be at each event. But know this, if you win the game, you’ll get a new car…..or something else. I can’t even count how many new cars were given away since the Crash’s inception, but even if you don’t win the car, you will win a prize valued at $5 or more to take home with you. Oooh, and a prize may be one of the new Wineoceros Crash T-shirts!
You'll need to watch this VIDEO ( http://www.winetasting.org/meetup.html ) to learn how to drop corks AND get one of the secret words.
4. And this is kind of obvious but still worth mentioning, if you RSVP and can’t make it, change your RSVP to No….especially important now that the attendance is limited.
Other Meetup groups have little or no standards but I'm strict on these because I know it makes for a better group. So be honest with yourself because this isn't the group for you if you:
- you don't agree to have wine at the Crash events
- show up multiple times without knowing the question of the day and/or haven’t given it any thought
- If you don’t like playing a game....this isn't the group for you
- you RSVP and don't show up
If you bring a guest, please make sure they are aware of the above requirements.
We don't charge an upfront membership fee to give you a chance to attend some events to see if you like it. Once you have attended some events, we'll ask for a $5 minimum contribution to help offset the costs of running the group. The $5 is peanuts compared to the money you save on wine and food at the events plus the chance to win valuable prizes!
You can arrive and leave our events at any time. We're usually at a venue until at least 7pm.
The one secret word is Good.
Come join us!