addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Chicago Women Developers Message Board Chicago Women Developers Forum › Should I Break Up With My Boyfriend?

Should I Break Up With My Boyfriend?

Melissa P.
MelissaFierce
Group Organizer
Chicago, IL
CONGRATS TO CWDEV MEMBER SARAH GREY ON HER NEW APP! IF You've Got an iPhone you should totally download it!

(Press Release Follows)

“It’s complicated” isn’t a Facebook relationship status for nothing! While social media and dating sites can helpyou a nd a guy, it can be hard to know if he’s “the one” or “the one to run from”. Lots of people feel stuck inrelationships that feel great one minute, bad the next–or simply “ ne” a little bit too much of the time.But how do you decide when to stay and when to pull the plug?
Sarah Gray, Chicago-based programmer and co-founder of the self-tracking web application MercuryApp,has come up with a solution. Finding herself in a di cult long-distance romance with an old ame, Grayrealized she was up and down on a daily basis: "I wished I had a way to track how I felt about him and ourrelationship, and could see a graph which would show me if things were mostly good–or mostly sucked. Thatway, I could do something about it”, she said.

Gray created the iPhone app Should I break up with my boyfriend? so others can get exactly that feedback.She says, “Being able to see your relationship clearly and objectively is the rst step on the path to a happy,healthy, love life–whether it’s with him, with someone else, or on your own for a while.”Using Should I break up with my boyfriend?, the user rates how they feel about their boyfriend every dayfor two weeks. The app provides a daily reminder, but users can rate as often as they like. They can also keepa diary and share daily thoughts with friends using email or SMS.
The user won’t be able to see their results during the two weeks. Gray believes that hiding the data keepsthe user “in the moment”, and prevents them from being in uenced by their most recent feelings. The appthen analyzes the data and reveals how their feelings uctuated. This information is displayed as a graph andthe user receives customized advice based on the unique patterns in their entries*, along with a record of alltheir diary notes.
Most relationship apps are limited to short quizzes or games. Should I break up with my boyfriend? is theonly app of its kind that relies on users’ own feelings as a baseline and gives a fuller picture of how theyfeel about their relationships. Gray says, “We‘re quick to forget or dismiss past feelings that don’t t in with ourcurrent mood, which is why seeing larger patterns can give you insight you might not have in the moment.”When Gray reviewed her graph from her own relationship, it was clear that she spent more time neutral andunhappy than happy. She rated her mood as “good” only 39% of the time. The remaining ratings were neutral,bad, or worst, and she chose the highest rating only once. She could also see her notes and was able to identifybehavioral patterns that made her unhappy.
In the end, tracking her feelings helped Gray move on and eventually had happier days with a new love. Shehopes that the app will help others gain insight into their relationships and feel more con dent in their choices.“Sometimes, we need an objective voice to help us appreciate a good thing or accept something painful. And thisapp helps us tap into the best voice of all–the one inside ourselves”.
The app is available for 99 cents in the App Store More information can be found on the website, http://shouldibreakup...­
* Advice does not replace discussions with a licensed therapist, a best friend, a favorite pet,or a pound of chocolate.