🗣 Graham Armfield - Accessibility Hacks:
This presentation has a look at some small tweaks that developers can make when building WordPress sites. Together these tweaks can improve the accessibility of the sites they're building for themselves or their clients.
The first part explores using SVG images in a way that ensures that screen reader (and other AT) users can access them successfully. Then we'll progress to some CSS techniques that are useful for improving accessibility in websites – during the development stage, for content authors, and for the benefit of your site visitors.
Where possible, Graham will be demoing some of the techniques covered.
Graham Armfield is a Web Accessibility Consultant with his own company Coolfields Consulting. He works with organisations to help them improve the accessibility of their websites - testing the websites for accessibility and advising the designers and developers on how to fix issues found. He has written detailed training courses on accessibility for developers which he presents on a regular basis.
He's also a WordPress developer and has built many accessible WordPress websites for clients – both large and small. He has contributed to the Make WordPress Accessible Team and has spoken on accessibility to many WordCamps and other WordPress meetups.
Outside of work you're likely to find him playing his guitar, recording his next album or performing at local open mic evenings.
🍕Catch up with the WordPress community in Brighton, with drinks and pizza courtesy of our lovely sponsors 34sp.com & Pragmatic!
- 6:00 - 7:00 pm - Welcome and Networking.
- 7:00 pm - Talk begins.
- 7:30 pm - Pizza, Drinks and Networking.
- 8:45 pm - Start leaving the venue and if anyone wants to continue the chat and informal networking, head to 'Seven Stars' pub on Ship St.
- Please let us know if you have any dietary requirements when you RSVP.
- Pragmatic, Chandos House, 26 North Street, Brighton, BN1 1EB
- Main entrance on Meeting House Lane across from Riddle & Finns.
- Please ring the 3rd-floor buzzer and someone will let you in.
🤔 OTHER INFO
- Drinks available
- Find us on Twitter @WordUpBrighton (#WordUpBTN) or join us on Slack, in the channel #wordup-brighton.
Do you have a topic for the WordPress Brighton Meetup that you would like to help arrange or could possibly speak at? Get in touch, we'd be delighted to hear from you.