addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

WordPress NYC Meetup Group Message Board Themes › New Theme with Widgets

New Theme with Widgets

Marc M.
user 2754263
New York, NY
Post #: 1
I came out of this last Wordpress meetup pretty energized so I started implementing a new theme on my blog (http://www.nextgenera...­) and I think its coming along quite nice. I've wanted to change it for months now, but Cliff was my inspiration and motivation to finally just do it!

The theme I implemented is called Light and it supports Widgets. For those that haven't heard of them, they allow you to add to and organize your side-menus by simply dragging-and-dropping plugins. See more information at http://automattic.com...­

Any comments, feedback or ideas would be appreciated!
A former member
Post #: 8
Looking very nice! What Widgets are you finding most useful so far?

The Calendar at the top of the sidebar I've never found very useful myself. Is there a reason for the Calendar at the top there or just a matter of getting around to tweaking the sidebar?
Marc M.
user 2754263
New York, NY
Post #: 2
Is there a reason for the Calendar at the top there or just a matter of getting around to tweaking the sidebar?

Just trying it out. I'm like you in that I never understood it being truly useful. Widgets are great because I just removed the calendar and made the Categories the first section and it took all of 30 seconds.

I like the recent posts and recent comments widget. I think users will find them as a good resource.
A former member
Post #: 9
I like the recent posts and recent comments widget. I think users will find them as a good resource.

Yes, the recent posts, recent comments, and "The Feature" are all good ways to keep interest in posts that have been recently active or revive interest in posts from the past that you felt were particularly good.

Have you tried Nybble's Sidebar Modules? It can use widget-like Sidebar Modules (which are easier to write, use, and tweak) as well as normal widgets. It may be a bit much for some users but it gives some great bonus options via drop down menus labeled "advanced."

Currently what I'm looking for is a "Recently Updated" plugin/widget/module which allows you to show a list of old posts you've recently updated in the sidebar. That way, should I go and update old posts I could easily attract attention to the posts again.