Needs a location
This program consists of four 1.5-hour lessons: Saturday, Feb. 2, 9, 16, and 23, 2019. The maximum group size is 10 persons.
Feb. 2, 9, 23
12:00 PM to 1:30 PM if in the city
1:00 PM to 2:30 PM if in the mountains
12:00 PM to 1:30 PM as usual if in the city
**2:00 PM to 3:30 PM if in the mountains**
• Location: Lesson location is dependent on snow conditions and temperature. Possible locations in Calgary include Shaganappi Golf Course and Confederation Golf Course. Mountain lessons take place in Kananaskis (West Bragg Creek, Pocaterra Hut, Boulton Creek, Mount Shark etc.) see below for details. This program is an excellent opportunity to become familiar with different beginner level trails in the area!
* READ THESE IMPORTANT DETAILS BEFORE REGISTERING *
Questions? Email xc (at) calgaryskiclub.org
----- LEVELS -----
This program is for BEGINNER-level cross-country skiers (i.e. new to the sport) to introduce the fundamentals of cross country skiing.
When you register, indicate your level of experience:
• Level 1 - Beginner. A beginner has little to no cross-country ski experience AND little to no downhill ski experience
• Level 2 - Novice. A novice has cross-country skied a few times AND/OR downhill skied many times AND/OR has extensive ice staking experience
• Level 3 - Intermediate. An intermediate has cross-country skied at least one winter but has not learned the Nordic skiing technique AND/OR has much downhill ski experience
----- COSTS -----
Price: $120 per participant ($30/lesson).
• Equipment rentals (if needed): Not included with the lesson. Click on the following link for a list of rental shops (http://www.calgaryskiclub.org/resources/cross-country#equipment). Suggestions include shops in Calgary, and out of town shops.
• Optional - Carpooling: Participants may coordinate with each other after lesson 1. The coach will already be at the lesson location.
Refund policy: 48-hour refund deadline before the start of the first lesson, minus an admin fee of $10.
----- STEPS TO REGISTER -----
• Step 1: Review all the information on this page.
• Step 2: Set up a Meetup account & profile.
• Step 3: Log into Meetup, and then register on this webpage.
• Step 3a: Make payment on Meetup.
• Step 3b: Fill out the registration form.
• Step 4: Read, print, sign and scan the lesson waiver and submit to xc @ calgaryskiclub.org
Your name will appear on the list of participants once your pre-participation survey answers will have been reviewed and the payment and signed waiver received. The coach will contact you by email 1 week prior to the 1st lesson.
----- LOCATIONS: VARIOUS -----
Lesson venue will be announced the Thursday before the Saturday lesson. Possible ski lesson venues include:
West Bragg Creek (https://www.albertaparks.ca/parks/kananaskis/west-bragg-creek-pra/information-facilities/#nav-map) Provincial Recreational Area; Kananaskis Country (Pocaterra Hut (https://www.albertaparks.ca/parks/kananaskis/peter-lougheed-pp/information-facilities/special-facilities/pocaterra-warming-hut/) in Peter Lougheed Provincial Park); Mount Shark (https://www.albertaparks.ca/parks/kananaskis/spray-valley-pp/information-facilities/day-use/mt-shark/) Area in Kananaskis Country (South of Canmore).
Please allow plenty of extra time for winter driving conditions.
----- CANCELLATION OF LESSONS -----
• CSC reserves the right to alter the schedule depending on registration levels, weather, and availability of coaches.
• Lessons will be cancelled, and postponed to another week, if the temperature is colder than -20 C, including wind chill.
Questions? Email xc (at) calgaryskiclub.org.