Needs a location
This is a Novice level cross-country ski program consisting of five 1.5-hour formal lessons and one informal ski tour. The maximum group size is 10 persons.
Dates: Feb. 16 & 23, Mar 2, 9 & 16
12:00 PM to 1:30 PM if in the city
1:00 PM to 2:30 PM if in the mountains
Location: Lesson location is dependent on snow conditions and temperature. Possible locations in Calgary include Shaganappi Golf Course and Confederation Golf Course. Mountain lessons take place in Kananaskis, see below for details. This program is an excellent opportunity to become familiar with different beginner level trails in the area!
1:00 PM to 2:30 PM
Location: Canmore Nordic Centre
*March 2 will be a 1.5-hour ski touring experience to help athletes practice technique learned in the previous three lessons. Tips will be provided by the coach but this is a ski touring day rather than a formal "technique/drill" focused lesson. Participants are required to purchase a trail pass prior to using the trails.
Questions? Email xc (at) calgaryskiclub.org
----- LEVELS -----
This program is for Novice cross-country skiers to introduce and refine the fundamentals of cross country skiing.
When you register, indicate your level of experience:
• Level 1 - Beginner. A beginner has little to no cross-country ski experience AND little to no downhill ski experience
• Level 2 - Novice. A novice has cross-country skied a few times AND/OR downhill skied many times AND/OR has extensive ice staking experience
• Level 3 - Intermediate. An intermediate has cross-country skied at least one winter but has not learned the Nordic skiing technique AND/OR has much downhill ski experience
----- COSTS -----
Price: $150 per participant ($30/lesson).
• Equipment rentals (if needed): Not included with the lesson. Click on the following link for a list of rental shops (http://www.calgaryskiclub.org/resources/cross-country#equipment). Suggestions include shops in Calgary, and out of town shops.
• Optional - Carpooling: Participants may coordinate with each other after lesson 1. The coach will already be at the lesson location.
Refund policy: 48-hour refund deadline before the start of the first lesson, minus an admin fee of $10.
----- STEPS TO REGISTER -----
• Step 1: Review all the information on this page.
• Step 2: Set up a Meetup account & profile.
• Step 3: Log into Meetup, and then register on this webpage.
• Step 3a: Make payment on Meetup.
• Step 3b: Fill out the registration form.
• Step 4: Read, print, sign and scan the lesson waiver and submit to xc @ calgaryskiclub.org
Your name will appear on the list of participants once your pre-participation survey answers have been reviewed and the payment and signed waiver received. The coach will contact you by email.
----- LOCATIONS: VARIOUS -----
Lesson venue will be announced the Thursday before the Saturday lesson. Possible ski lesson venues include:
West Bragg Creek (https://www.albertaparks.ca/parks/kananaskis/west-bragg-creek-pra/information-facilities/#nav-map) Provincial Recreational Area; Kananaskis Country (Pocaterra Hut (https://www.albertaparks.ca/parks/kananaskis/peter-lougheed-pp/information-facilities/special-facilities/pocaterra-warming-hut/) in Peter Lougheed Provincial Park); Mount Shark (https://www.albertaparks.ca/parks/kananaskis/spray-valley-pp/information-facilities/day-use/mt-shark/) Area in Kananaskis Country (South of Canmore).
----- CANCELLATION OF LESSONS -----
• CSC reserves the right to alter the schedule depending on registration levels, weather, and availability of coaches.
• Lessons will be cancelled, and postponed to another week, if the temperature is colder than -20 C, including wind chill.
Questions? Email xc (at) calgaryskiclub.org.