Needs a location
*** *** *** IMPORTANT *** *** ***
FIRST, please email xc @ CalgarySkiClub.org to check if there is still room in the specific age groups for your children. If there is, then please follow the steps below.
2017 - 2018 Calgary Ski Club Jackrabbits Program
Cross Country Ski Lessons for Children
Coordinator: Cross Country Ski Lessons Interim Coordinator, xc @ CalgarySkiClub.org
Table of Contents
(A) 10 Sessions
(B) Registration Process and Prices
(C) Age Groups
(E) Tentative Schedule (depending on snow conditions)
(F) Volunteering Requirement and Opportunities
(G) Coaching or Assisting
(H) Ski Equipment Rental
(I) Cancellation of Lesson
(A) 10 Sessions:
Days: Most Saturdays, December 2017 to late March / early April 2018. See section E further below for the tentative schedule.
- for lessons in the city - start time: 10:00 AM
- for lessons in the mountains - start time: 11:00 AM (unless otherwise specified)
- for possible locations, see section D further below.
- Bunnyrabbits' lessons (ages 4-5): 1 hour, with an option to extend to 1.5 hour
- Jackrabbits' (ages 6-9) and Track Attack's lessons (ages 10-12): 1.5 hours
(B) Registration Process and Prices:
Step 1: CSC "Family" Membership: $65 annually.
*** IMPORTANT: FIRST, please email xc @ CalgarySkiClub.org to check if there is still room in the specific age groups for your children. If there is, then please follow the steps below.
On the CSC homepage (https://calgaryskiclub.org/), click either Join Now or Renew. -- Note: If your annual membership is currently valid, then proceed to Step 2 or Step 3 as appropriate; then, renew your CSC membership later when it expires.
Step 2: CSC's Jackrabbits Lessons Meetup Group (i.e. this webpage): Free. If you do not already have a Meetup account, then click here (https://www.meetup.com/YYCSkiClub_JackrabbitLessons) and create an account. ***PLEASE BE PATIENT. *** This can take some time to approve as our Office Administrator needs to match your Meetup account with your CSC membership before you can continue with Step 3. This process will be quicker if your Meetup account is similar (user name, email address, etc.) to your CSC Membership.
Step 3: Jackrabbits Registration: This webpage - Free registration (yes, that's right!) specifically for the 2017 - 2018 Jackrabbits program.
- When registering you only need to register your child / children.
- When RSVPing, type each of their names AND:
- if you are registering 1 child, then select "Only me"
- if you are registering 2 or more children, then select "+1 guest", etc.
Step 4: Parent's Volunteering Bond: $200 per child. See section F further below for volunteering opportunities. The bond is a deposit. The amount of the bond / deposit refunded at the end of the Jackrabbits program is dependent upon the % of the volunteering requirement completed (e.g. 100% completed = 100% refunded).
Step 5 (Optional): Ski Equipment Rental: Damage deposit only. There is no other rental fee. See section H further below.
(C) Age Groups:
Bunnyrabbit (ages 4-5): introduce cross country skiing, movement skills (with a focus on balance and agility), coordination, self confidence, imagination and social skills. A parent must remain with Bunnyrabbits under the age of 5 at all times.
Jackrabbit (ages 6-9): learn basic cross country ski skills, develop fundamental movement skills, build overall motor skills, confidence and social skills, and encourage fun and participation.
Track Attack (ages 10-12): learn the skating technique, become technically competent cross country skiers, further develop and refine all the cross country ski skills, develop skills, speed, power and aerobic fitness, develop strength and flexibility as well as good ski habits.
Lessons will be in a variety of locations; specific locations will be announced.
- In-city locations could include: Shaganappi Golf Course
- Out-of-city locations could include: Banff National Park; Kananaskis Country; Canmore Nordic Centre, West Bragg Creek
(E) Tentative Schedule (lessons locations are dependent on snow and weather conditions):
- Thurs. Nov. 16 @ 7-9 PM - Ski equipment sorting - Jackrabbits Equipment Manager with parent volunteers
- Sat. Nov. 18 @ 10 AM - 12 PM - Pick-up ski equipment for your Jackrabbit(s)
- Fri. Nov. 24 @ 7-9 PM - Pick-up ski equipment for your Jackrabbit(s)
Lesson 1: Sat. Dec. 2 - UPDATED: location will NOT be at near Lake Louise for CSC's WinterStart Weekend ; specific location TBD
Lesson 2: Sat. Dec. 9 @ location TBA
Lesson 3: Sat. Jan. 6 @ location TBA
Lesson 4: Sat. Jan. 13 @ location TBA
Lesson 5: Sat. Jan. 20 @ location TBA
Jan. 27 NO LESSON
Lesson 6: Sat. Feb. 3 @ location TBA
Lesson 7: Sat. Feb. 10 @ location TBA
Feb. 17 NO LESSON - Family Day Long Weekend
Feb. 24 NO LESSON - FNSC Cookie Race in Peter Lougheed Provincial Park
Lesson 8: Sat. Mar. 3 @ location TBA - hopefully at Canmore Nordic Centre
Sun. Mar. 4 Calgary Ski Club's Annual Lake Louise Loppet
Lesson 9: Sat. Mar. 10 @ location TBA - UPDATED
Lesson 10 and Family Fun Day: Sat. Mar. 17 @ location TBA - UPDATED
(F) Volunteering Requirement and Opportunities:
CSC is a volunteer-run organization. In order for us to continue to deliver high quality programs, we offer opportunities for you to volunteer.
CSC has volunteering requirements for the parent(s) of each child registered in the Jackrabbits Program. Parents must volunteer for one shift per registrant (min 4 hours per shift) from the following list.
RSVP: Email xc @ CalgarySkiClub.org and indicate your preference of volunteer shift(s). You can change your choice later if required.
- Ski Sale - Oct. 18-22, 2017 - UPDATE: Email xc @ CalgarySkiClub.org and indicate your completed shifts.
- Jackrabbits Director
- Help with sorting / distribution / collection of Jackrabbits equipment - see Section H further below.
- Coach or be an Assistant Coach in the Jackrabbits Program (https://www.propellus.org/volunteer/opportunity/671)
- Assist with grooming and tracksetting the cross country ski trails at Shaganappi Golf Course (RSVP to tracksetting @ CalgarySkiClub.org )
- Tend the CSC table or booth at one event: e.g. Ski Sale, MEC Snow Fest, Lilac Festival, Marda Gras, etc.
- Lake Louise Loppet (Sun. Mar. 4, 2018; setup in days beforehand)
(G) Coaching or Assisting:
Click here to read the Jackrabbits Coaches ad (https://www.propellus.org/volunteer/opportunity/671), which is posted on Propellus' website. If you are interested in coaching or assisting in Jackrabbits please RSVP to xc @ CalgarySkiClub.org. Note: Coaching or being an Assistant Coach are also ways to fulfill volunteer requirements while spending time with your Jackrabbit; see section F above.
(H) Ski Equipment Rental:
CSC offers season-rental of ski equipment on an as needed, first-come first-serve basis to kids ages 4-12 in the Jackrabbits Program. You simply need to provide a damage deposit when you pick up the equipment. There is no other rental fee.
UPDATE: Click here (https://goo.gl/forms/kN4AhGXOfVMXpEzJ2) and fill in the Jackrabbits Equipment Request online form IF you would like to rent equipment and an optional vest.
CSC does NOT have skis for adults.
DONE: Ski equipment sorting, led by the Equipment Manager, will be on Thursday, November 16 at 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM. RSVP to xc @ CalgarySkiClub.org to request this volunteer shift, and for the address.
Ski equipment pickup (distribution) will be on:
- Sat, Nov 18 at 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
- Fri, Nov 24 at 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
RSVP to xc @ CalgarySkiClub.org with your preferred day.
(I) Cancellation of Lesson:
CSC reserves the right to alter the schedule, or combine classes depending on registration levels, weather, and availability of coaches. The Jackrabbit coaches will cancel the lesson if the temperature is colder than –18 Celsius (with wind chill).
*** *** *** IMPORTANT *** *** ***
FIRST, please email xc @ CalgarySkiClub.org to check if there is still room in the specific age groups for your children. If there is, then please follow the steps above.