addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The OC Young, Fun and Nerdy Meetup Message Board Young, Fun and Nerdy Topics › Bonfire Party...take 2!

Bonfire Party...take 2!

John
user 10401756
Cerritos, CA
Post #: 107
With the recent success of our last party, I've been scoping out places to have our next one...which we should have (if not more) while the warm weather is with us. I'm thinking we'll have two main options.

1. Overnight campout (no one to chase us out past 10pm I'm assuming). We'll probly have to be a bit more careful w/ fire (pyros, I'm talking to you...that's me included). We can have hikes during the daytime & s'mores at night.

2. Another beach party...at another location. There will be more activities...beach walks, fishing, volleyball, etc.

If it's a campout...although I have camped out in the past, I have never done this in Cali, so I'll need some help.

If another beach party, my initial searching online indicates some fire pits at Aliso Beach and Newport Beach...and free parking as well. Any other suggestions will be more than welcome.

As far as a date...I'm thinking late August/early September.

Party on!
A former member
Post #: 6
The first party was amazing, tons of fun. Thank you so much for organizing it, John!

Personally, I am open to either option. For the date, I would selfishly ask for early September instead of late August. I'm going to be MIA for most of August for Meetups and I'd hate to miss out! Besides...do you guys want my salsa + guac? ;)

Anywho, I look forward to this next event. Let me know what I can do to help.
Stephanie
user 10085034
Manhattan Beach, CA
Post #: 6
The party was great and a lot of work on your part, thanks. We should definitely do this before it gets too cold @ night, come fall. Maybe we could do one per month till fall comes? :)

As for locations, I love Newport but don't know of any fire pits down there. I'll be down there this summer so if you want me to try to get some info., let me know. As I mentioned last night, if anyone is willing to trek up to L.A. County, Dockweiler State Beach also has fire pits, just south of LAX and parking is $5 per car.

Renuka
meet_renuka
Cerritos, CA
Post #: 3
sorry to be an idea-pooper but wouldn't we have to make reservations at a campsite? I think gone are the days when we could waltz in at 8 pm on a friday night and get good weekend camping. Especially during summer at the beaches. I have been stalking the ReserveAmerica website for good campsites anywhere near OC and all the weekends seem to be booked until November! But i don't know much about camping so there could be other resources that I'm unaware of. Unless we're up to really roughing it out for a day then we may be able to find one. November maybe too far away to commit but not sure.

oh and just in case we do find a spot for our nerdy camp out, i have a 4 people tent.

and in any case.. I would love to do another beach day. smile
Stephanie
user 10085034
Manhattan Beach, CA
Post #: 9
Renuka is right about reservations for summertime...I've heard that Newport has some campsites...The mts. above Malibu may also...

Let's do another beach day and plan the camping trip @ that time...Somebody bring a laptop! :)
John
user 10401756
Cerritos, CA
Post #: 110
Ideally, a campout would be a Saturday night/Sunday morning. I've only looked at Doheny State Beach...and the earliest available dates are October 29, and then November 6. Think this might be a little too chilly f/ us?

Regarding a regular old beach party w/ fire pit...found a site listing these spots (list below). Nice, huh? Will start scouting them out in 2 weeks. Any help from y'all would be appreciated. Actually I'll be in Laguna next weekend, so I'll start there. Newport Beach the following week. Perhaps Doheny after. Things to look for...well...mainly it's parking, and walking distance to amenities like restrooms. Great input so far! Keep it coming!

Here are some places you can nab a fire ring:

•Bolsa Chica: 182 fire rings.
•Huntington State Beach: 180 fire rings.
•Huntington City Beach: A few hundred fire pits on a 3/4 mile stretch between Beach and First Street.
•Newport Beach: About 50 fire pits in Balboa and Corona del Mar.
•Laguna Beach: County-run Aliso Beach has about a dozen fire rings.
•Doheny State Beach: About 35 or so spots, and they are usually gone within a half hour of the park opening.
•San Clemente City Beach: Four rings on the south side of the pier, fvie on the north side, stretching from North Beach to T-Street.
•San Clemente State Beach: One fire ring at Riviera Beach, at tower 4
John
user 10401756
Cerritos, CA
Post #: 111
Unless we do so at Catalina, it looks like camping this year in OC may be out of the picture. We can plan that for late spring/early summer next year...probably in Doheny, which happens to be one of the most desireable spots in the country apparently. That is...of course unless November will be a mild month, in which case I guess with enough positive feedback we can make it happen this year. It's $300 for a group campsite. Dunno how that works...whether we get beachfront...parking...etc. Will do more homework...

I've pretty much decided that the next beach party will be either at Bolsa Chica State Beach again, or at Doheny State Beach...given the availability of parking. With the randomness of arrivals from our group throughout the day though, Bosa Chica will probably be the better option (mo' better parking).

I'll start the potluck list here. Major items we'll need:
1. Canopies (hopefully 2 this time)
2. Grill for barbecue
3. Coolers
4. Tables (I have 2, but we could use 2 more)
5. Chairs
6. Music
7. Wood (A bundle of wood is $6.50? Are you freaking kidding me? Talk about going up in smoke! If anyone finds a good deal, pass it on.)

I can worry about the food later. If anybody has these items and can bring them or lend them to us, that would be awesome!