P St & 11th St, Sacramento, CA
DISTANCE: 7 to 10 miles (Up to 14.2 miles total)
ELEVATION: Up to 1,200 feet gain
HIKING TIME: 3 to 4 hours
BASIC ESSENTIALS: Sun protection gear, water, snacks, a small lunch, and a sweater/or windbreaker in case of morning fog.
DOGS ALLOWED: No
DRIVING TIME FROM CARPOOL LOCATION: 2 hours (4 hours roundtrip)
PARK ADMISSION: Free
DRIVING DIRECTIONS TO TRAILHEAD: From 11th and P Street in Downtown Sacramento;
1. Take BUS 80/US 50 West Capital FWY toward San Francisco,
2. Then take Exit 40 for I-680 toward Benicia/San Jose,
3. Then take Exit 8 for Calaveras BLVD/CA-237,
4. Then keep left to take Calaveras BLVD E/I-680 South ramp,
5. Then keep right to take Calaveras BLVD ramp,
6. Then merge onto East Calaveras BLVD,
7. Then stay on E Calaveras BLVD which becomes Calaveras Rd,
8. Then stay straight to go onto Felter Rd,
9. Then Felter Rd becomes Sierra Rd,
10. Then about 1 mile before the "5341 Sierra RD, San Jose, CA 95132" address; stay on Sierra Rd and look for a parking lot to your right, which holds up to 36 vehicles, and will be our destination at the Kestrel Trailhead.
Please note: The official address for Sierra Vista Open Space Preseve is "6980 Santa Teresa Blvd, San Jose, CA 95119", but I am using address "5341 Sierra Rd, San Jose, CA 95132" since its near the medien size parking lot and Kestrel Trailhead on Sierra Road.
HIKING DESCRIPTION: I will choose 7 to 10 miles total out of 14.2 miles from the following link, http://www.openspaceauthority.org/trails/sierra.html