addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Young at Heart--YA for Adults Book Club Message Board Nominated Books › Make Suggestions for the 2013 reading list

Make Suggestions for the 2013 reading list

Deborah
debdef
Group Organizer
Cedar Park, TX
Post #: 25
Our goal is to select books for Jan, Feb, & March before December's meeting but we need your help...
Please give us suggestions of books you'd really like to read with the group. Just add a comment with the title and author. If you want to add links or a short description of why you are nominating that book, please do so your fellow members can learn more.

I will add all YA suggestions to the open poll­ You can vote for any of the books you would like to read.

Any book that receives 50% or more of members voting for it, will be nominated for selection in 2013 and final decisions will be made by run-off poll on the site or in a meeting. Any book that stays on the poll for 3 months without accruing at least 25% of the vote will be removed.

Please review our list of books we've read as those will not be added to the poll, although we encourage you to read them if you are drawn to any of them and discuss them before or after the meetings with other members who have read them.

Books suggested in 2012 that had >25% of votes have been added to the new poll for 2013

Deborah
debdef
Group Organizer
Cedar Park, TX
Post #: 26
Here is a list of Printz nominated books for this year if you are looking for inspiration

Tigerlily (Anderson)
Chopsticks (Anthony)
The Drowned Cities (Bacigalupi)
Baby's in Black: Astrid Kirchher, Stuart Sutcliffe, and the Beatles in Hamburg (Bellstorf)
Dragonswood (Carey)
Bitterblue (Cashore)
The Year of the Beasts (Castellucci)
Dying to Know You (Chambers)
The Wicked and the Just (Coats)
After the Snow (Crockett)
Tempest (Cross)
The Miseducation of Cameron Post (Danforth)
The Butterfly Clues (Ellison)
The Difference Between You and Me (George)
The Fault in Our Stars (Green)
Seraphina (Hartman)
The Obsidian Blade (Hautman)
Friends with Boys (Hicks)
The Chaos (Hopkinson)
Try Not to Breathe (Hubbard)
Small Damages (Kephart)
Keeping the Castle (Kindl)
Ask the Passengers (King)
The Disenchantments (LaCour)
Grave Mercy (LaFevers)
In Darkness (Lake)
Team Human (Larbalestier)
Every Day (Levithan)
Never Fall Down (McCormick)
Dead to You (McMann)
Railsea (Mieville)
No Crystal Stair: A Documentary Novel of the Life and Work of Lewis Michaux, Harlem Bookseller (Nelson)
A Confusion of Princes (Nix)
The Children and the Wolves (Rapp)
Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone (Rosenfield)
There is No Dog (Rosoff)
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Saenz)
The Girls of No Return (Saldin)
Double (Valentine)
The List (Vivian)
Code Name Verity (Wein)
Beneath a Meth Moon (Woodson)

A former member
Post #: 1
I just read The Pledge, by Kimberly Derting, a few days ago and I am still reeling from it. I found it absolutely incredible and I really think that it should be added to the list. So there's my contribution!
A former member
Post #: 24
On my TBR list are the John Corey Whaley book, King Dork, Andromeda Klein, If I Stay, My Life as a Rhombus, The Book of Blood and Shadow, An Abundance of Katherine's, The Name of the Star...and tons of others.
Becky Kapes O.
user 51816492
Austin, TX
Post #: 1
Over the holiday I read Everyone Sees the Ants by A.S. King and LOVED IT. She's got a new book out called "Ask the Passengers" that is getting good reviews. Also just finished "Between Shades of Gray" by Ruta Septys - unfortunate title and very different from the other gray books. :) This one is about Stalin's imprisonment of Lithuanians during WW2 and super bleak. Not sure I'd recommend it, but it was a fascinating read.
Becky Kapes O.
user 51816492
Austin, TX
Post #: 2
Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan. Description sounds interesting "A modern, magical twist on the Gothic Romance and Girl Detective genres, this book will appeal to fans of both Beautiful Creatures and the Mortal Instruments series."
Becky Kapes O.
user 51816492
Austin, TX
Post #: 3
3 new recommendations from last night's bookclub:

Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult and Samantha Van Leer (Jodi's teenage daughter): Delilah is a bit of a loner who prefers spending her time in the school library with her head in a book—one book in particular. Between the Lines may be a fairy tale, but it feels real. Prince Oliver is brave, adventurous, and loving. He really speaks to Delilah. and then one day Oliver actually speaks to her. Turns out, Oliver is more than a one-dimensional storybook prince. He’s a restless teen who feels trapped by his literary existence and hates that his entire life is predetermined. He’s sure there’s more for him out there in the real world, and Delilah might just be his key to freedom. Delilah and Oliver work together to attempt to get Oliver out of his book, a challenging task that forces them to examine their perceptions of fate, the world, and their places in it. And as their attraction to each other grows along the way, a romance blossoms that is anything but a fairy tale.

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell: “Eleanor & Park reminded me not just what it’s like to be young and in love with a girl, but also what it’s like to be young and in love with a book.”—John Green, The New York Times Book Review

Wicked Jealous by Robin Palmer: Simone never saw herself as the "cute girl"--she was always the chunky smartmouth. But after a year of avoiding her wicked almost-stepmonster through Zumba class, Simone's now sporting a whole new retro style. And people keep acting oddly. One thing: her stepmonster seems to be trying to accidentally kill her, or at least fatten her back up. And so when Simone's brother offers to let her move in with him and his six roommates for the summer, Simone jumps at the chance for some normalcy. Only living with seven very different college boys isn't exactly going to help her land her very own happily ever after . . .
Deborah
debdef
Group Organizer
Cedar Park, TX
Post #: 28
Thanks Becky. I've added those to the poll as well as the books we discussed in the March meeting:

Eve & Adam by Grant & Applegate: goodreads / amazon
In the beginning, there was an apple—
And then there was a car crash, a horrible injury, and a hospital. But before Evening Spiker’s head clears a strange boy named Solo is rushing her to her mother’s research facility. There, under the best care available, Eve is left alone to heal. Just when Eve thinks she will die—not from her injuries, but from boredom—her mother gives her a special project: Create the perfect boy. Using an amazingly detailed simulation, Eve starts building a boy from the ground up. Eve is creating Adam. And he will be just perfect... won’t he?

The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly: goodreads / amazon
Calpurnia Virginia Tate is eleven years old in 1899 when she wonders why the yellow grasshoppers in her Texas backyard are so much bigger than the green ones.With a little help from her notoriously cantankerous grandfather, an avid naturalist, she figures out that the green grasshoppers are easier to see against the yellow grass, so they are eaten before they can get any larger. As Callie explores the natural world around her, she develops a close relationship with her grandfather, navigates the dangers of living with six brothers, and comes up against just what it means to be a girl at the turn of the century.

How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff: goodreads / amazon
Fifteen-year-old Daisy is sent from Manhattan to England to visit her aunt and cousins she’s never met: three boys near her age, and their little sister. Her aunt goes away on business soon after Daisy arrives. The next day bombs go off as London is attacked and occupied by an unnamed enemy. As power fails, and systems fail, the farm becomes more isolated. Despite the war, it’s a kind of Eden, with no adults in charge and no rules, a place where Daisy’s uncanny bond with her cousins grows into something rare and extraordinary. But the war is everywhere, and Daisy and her cousins must lead each other into a world that is unknown in the scariest, most elemental way.

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz: goodreads / http://amzn.com/14424...­
Aristotle is an angry teen with a brother in prison. Dante is a know-it-all who has an unusual way of looking at the world. When the two meet at the swimming pool, they seem to have nothing in common. But as the loners start spending time together, they discover that they share a special friendship—the kind that changes lives and lasts a lifetime. And it is through this friendship that Ari and Dante will learn the most important truths about themselves and the kind of people they want to be.

We also talked about adding a Trilogy to the summer - I think I'll start a separate poll for Series and maybe we could try this one as a separate meeting for those who want to do a trilogy - let's discuss in May. First we should determine if we want to do series separately or within the main group. Second if we will do them if all the books aren't released yet.
Possibilities we discussed:

• the Matched trilogy
  • Daughter of Smoke & Bone (not sure these are all out yet)
  • Cassandra Clare series: either Mortal Instruments (I think that is 5 books) or Clockwork Series.
  • Robin LaFevers series (Grave Mercy & Dark Triumph - not sure how many others will be in this series)
  • Stephanie Perkins trilogy (Anna & the French Kiss / Lola & the Boy Next Door/ 3rd book out this fall)
  • Cinder & Scarlet by Marisa Meyer (more books to come)

Reminder you can see our bookshelf on goodreads - to see what we've read, plan to read, and what's been suggested.
We haven't really done much with the discussion forum there, but to join the group click here.
Deborah
debdef
Group Organizer
Cedar Park, TX
Post #: 29
Links to polls­.

2013 books updated. I couldn't fit all the suggestions on there so I moved the ones that were part of series to the new list below and picked several of the suggestions for this thread to add. We can delete/change out ones that have limited votes. Since I switched out some books instead of making a totally new poll, it may think you've already voted - but just click on the "ready to vote" or "change your vote" link at the bottom of the poll if the checkboxes don't come up automatically.

Series poll. To track series we may want to read as a group. Add any nominations you want to this thread, but be sure to look at the books we've already read here­ or on goodreads­. (i.e. Twilight & Hunger Games are done already)