addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Zürich English Speaking Group Message Board › Pre-Moving Advice?

Pre-Moving Advice?

A former member
Post #: 1
Hello everyone! I just applied for a job in Zurich, so hopefully soon I'll be joining you all! Do you have any advice for me before I commit? Any questions I should ask my potential employer, or things they will assume that I know? They know I'm a US citizen and will need a visa, so I'm assuming that will all get worked out by them if I get the job. What is rent like in Zurich? I have a house & a mortgage back here, so I'm guessing funds will be tight unless I sell my house. Anything you guys can tell me from your experiences would be great! Feel free to send me an email, leanoraperillo@ hotmail.com
Thanks!
Leanora
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi Lenora -

I've previously lived in NYC and LA, and the rent definitely is cheaper than NYC, and about the same for LA (or even a bit less in some areas).
What's more expensive here is food and every day items.
Shopping at the supermarket is more expensive than NYC - and noticeably more expensive than LA - for many staple items (milk, meat, fish, fruit) as well as at the drug store. Dry cleaning is about four times as much!
Eating out is almost twice as much per plate, (even though you don't tip here), and everything is ala cart. No early-diners specials that I've seen either (so far).
Also, if you'll be driving - gas is definitely four times as much per gallon as it is in the US. Luckily, you don't need a car here if you live in or close to a main city.
If your a clothes and shoes shopper, it's more expensive in Switzerland - and there are less Ross-type and DSW-type of discount shopping in the cities here (if any).
Also, keep in mind that shopping hours are limited here (everything closes at 7pm) - so it tends to be crowded after work hours and all day Saturday (Sunday everything is shut down). Kitchens are not built to stockpile food supplies like they are in the US, so you may find yourself food shopping more often, depending on your dining/cooking habits.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Georgette
A former member
Post #: 16
Hi there!
An apartment in Zürich 1 Bedroom 1 Bath will cost you between 1500 - 2000 CHF depending
on the area and tastes. Eating in restaurants is expensive, but you get used to it.

Very Important! If you plan on driving, you should exchange your driver's license
within one year. Otherwise, you will have to take expensive driving instruction which
costs about 3000CHF.

Take care,
Grant