This will go through the mountains separating Schywz and Glarus. We will begin at Muotathal and end on the west side of Klöntalersee. From here the bus will take us to Glarus and back to Zurich.
The stats for the hike per Switzerland Mobility: 16km, 5h 15m, 940m up, 760m down. Medium difficulty mountain hike, medium conditions. (The website below lists this as 20km and 7h, we are taking the bus up so starting later but there is a disconnect between the sites.)
(Depending on how individual group members feel, some might walk along the Klöntalersee to the east side and take a bus from there. This is another 5km.)
Here is the agenda:
• Arrive at Muotathal, Hölloch at 09:38.
o 08:00, meet under the Blue Angel. (I will join later at Zug because I live in Au ZH).
o 08:09, DEPART Zurich HB platform 9.
o 08:46, EXIT train at Arth-Goldau.
o 08:53, DEPART Arth-Goldau platform 5.
o 09:00, EXIT train at Schywz.
o 09:06, Depart Schywz on bus.
o 09:38, EXIT bus at Muotathal, Hölloch.
• Hike route 29.
• Stop at Gasthaus Richisau for a drink.
• Take the bus back from Klöntal, Vorauen. (Buses come at 39 or 49 after the hour, it varies.) We'll likely get here around 16:00.
Things to bring:
• Water, 1.5l
• Rain Jacket
• Swimming suit/towel if you want a swim in the lake after the hike. I might take a later bus to do this.
• An understanding of hiking etiquette: http://hiking.meetup.com/161/pages/Etiquette_on_the_Trail/
Things to know about this hike:
• I am not a professional guide. I sometimes make mistakes.
• I am getting most of my information about this hike from the webpage below and the Switzerland Mobility maps.
• You should take into consideration your own ability to hike this distance at an average hiking pace, a good fast walk.
• We'll keep this a people hike, no dogs please. There are a number of great dog groups in Zurich that hike, please look into those.
• If you can't make it but have signed up, please update your status as early as possible. Those in the wait list will be thankful.