addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

ChiPy: Chicago's Official Python User Group Message Board › ChiPy Mentorship Program 2015: task

ChiPy Mentorship Program 2015: task

Tathagata D.
user 14037425
Chicago, IL
Post #: 4
ChiPy M&Ms 2015 in 7 questions:

1. Introduce yourself and your mentor (140 characters each).
2. Describe in 140 characters what is your goal for the mentorship program.
3. How often will you two meet and how? When is your next meeting date?
4. Describe your development environment. Where can people find more information about what you’ll be working on? (github/blog)
5. What would be the title of the 7 min lightning talk that you two will give at the end of the mentorship program?
6. What is the coolest Python article you have read with in the last month? (You can not repeat a link that has been already posted).
7. Which one is your favorite zen of Python? Why? (140 characters)

Directions for answering:
1. Copy the questions keeping them bold. Your answer should be in regular.
2. For number 7, type import this on your shell.
Tanya S.
t.slushy
Chicago, IL
Post #: 4
Sean is a curious data analyst and UIUC grad with a degree in materials science.

Tanya has used Python for over 3 years, and has been programming for over 20 years. Her favorite languages are Python and C++.

Sean is looking to learn more about Python and programming in general.

Weekly on wednesday evenings.

4. Describe your development environment. Where can people find more information about what you’ll be working on? (github/blog)
Github
Sagemath cloud

5. What would be the title of the 7 min lightning talk that you two will give at the end of the mentorship program?
Trying out Quantopian

6. What is the coolest Python article you have read with in the last month? (You can not repeat a link that has been already posted).
http://blog.quantopian.com/probabilistic-programming-in-quantitative-finance/­

Flat is better than nested:
The most beautiful code in the best packages (howdoi / requests / Flask) have on average less than 20 lines of code per function. Some as few as 10. So easy to follow.
Shivendra
user 99691892
Des Plaines, IL
Post #: 1
1. Introduce yourself and your mentor (140 characters).
Shivendra is a software engineer with an interest in python and data analytics. Seth wants as many people as possible to use python.
Shivendra wants to be a Python Champ by the end of this mentorship program. Seth just wants Shivendra to complete one project in python.

We intend to meet one to two times a week at a coffee shop. Our next meeting day is Saturday (March 7th).
Our development environment is PyCharm and MongoDB. More information about the project can be found here https://github.com/sh...­

"Sailfish Are Faster Than You"

6. What is the coolest Python article you have read in the last month? (You can not repeat a link that has been already posted).
http://blog.singhanuv...­

7. Which one is your favorite zen of Python? why? (140 characters)
"In the face of ambiguity, refuse the temptation to guess." Because I want to live amongst the snakes and not be eaten by them.
Lauren D.
LaDaniels
Chicago, IL
1. Introduce yourself and your mentor (140 characters each)
Meet Nick -- A soon-to-be dad, news apps developer at Investigative News Network who's interested in the intersection of journalism and technology.
Meet Lauren -- A freelance journalist and avid home cook transitioning into the web development life. Current motto: Build. Error. Fix. Repeat.
Reinforce my basic knowledge of Python by learning while doing. Building a functional web app using Python and Django.
Weekly meetings using Google Hangouts and Hackpad. Also collaborating on a shared Github repo. Next meeting is Tuesday, March 10.
4. Describe your development environment. Where can people find more information about what you’ll be working on?
Working in an iPython notebook for now, moving to command line/Sublime once I get the hang of it. If you’re interested you can check out our progress here.
Make a better cupcake (with Python)
6. What is the coolest Python article you have read with in the last month?
Things Not to do in Python
7. Which one is your favorite zen of Python? Why?
Simple is better than complex. If you can't explain it to a five year old, you don't understand it yourself.
Lane C.
user 27588662
San Francisco, CA
My name is Lane Campbell, I'm the one being mentored. I am a serial entrepreneur who is looking to learn Python for a web based startup I co-founded. Andrei is mentoring me, he is a developer at Braintree.

I would like to be able to develop a primitive but functional CRM with a basic search integration using ElasticSearch.

We will meet once a week for 2 hours a week. Tentatively, we are scheduled to meet mondays in the evening.

Mac OS X 10.10, Sublime Text, VirtualEnv, iTerm and my github account is lanec though nothing is on there yet.

TBD - we shall discuss this on monday and I'll revise this then.

I haven't really read anything in particular on Python outside of tutorials. I would highly recommend this site for getting a Mac setup to code: friendly-django-101.readthedocs.org

I think this is best answered when I learn what the zen's of Python are.
Missy Y.
user 184714606
Chicago, IL
1. Paul is a Django developer by day, superfly mentor by night, and he's got experience from accounting to QA!

I'm interested in web development/front end development after coming from a CGMT background and having coding as a hobby for 10+ years!

2. My goal is to have a better understanding of Python and see how I can use it to build small applications to support other processes, such as collecting and saving information to a database from a test case/survey.

3. We'll be meeting once a week on Saturday or Sunday mornings via Google Hangouts. We're trying to figure out the kinks of our first meeting, which will be in-person - I was a last-minute mentee!

4. The funny thing is, even though I've been messing with front end code for years, I don't know a lot of lingo. A dev environmemt? I can tell you I have XCode and Brackets, and I'll be uploading to GitHub, but I have yet to set up a real environment to work with. (Again, last minute addition!)

5. "Believe in the Python that Believes in You!"

6. http://cacm.acm.org/b...­

Python is officially the most popular introductory teaching language at top universities. I wish that was my experience - my first language in university was ActionScript!

7. "Errors should never pass silently."

As someone who has been around the block with JavaScript, and dealing with bugs that don't even pop up in the console that drive me crazy... Yes, I'd prefer meeting an error that screams at me with a megaphone than sneaks under the radar.
Jocelyn
user 105568962
Chicago, IL

Catherine is a software engineer and possesses a deep love for Mickey Mouse, quilting, and food.
Jocelyn is a QA analyst who is passionate about football, Chipotle, and food.

To be held accountable in learning python.

Once a week in person and/or hangout. Our next meeting date is March 7th.

4. Describe your development environment. Where can people find more information about what you’ll be working on? (github/blog).

Windows. Python 2.7. Shell use on windows. Github. I’ll try to do a blog to discuss what I’ve learned each week

Fifty Shades of Python

6. What is the coolest Python article you have read in the last month? (You can not repeat a link that has been already posted).

http://www.infoworld....­

“Now is better than never.”
I tend to procrastinate a bit and it is reinforcement to not to do that.
olga b
user 177981072
Chicago, IL

Olga Blyumin - Temporary gimp and database designer
Lorena Mesa - Python mentor extraordinaire

My goal is to learn super basic programming skills in Python so I can get an idea of what’s possible!

Probably at least once per week. Meeting next Tuesday!

I’m working in Python 2.7 on Windows 8.1 (64 bit) using Sublime Text and Windows PowerShell
You can follow our work here.

Chicago elections: some basic facts about who voted

How about this one about a Python developer in London and manners?

The one about namespaces. It sounds like a good idea. Also, I work in data management, so duh.
A former member
Xan, economics graduate student at the UNiversity f Chicago. Has been using Python for a few years to correct and analyze data.
Quentin, economics graduate from DePaul university. New to using python and computer science but interested in Data Science, software development and anything I can do to make the world go round.

Create a Data Science project using Python to anayze Divvy Information and to learn.

Weekly on Saturdays.
Next meeting March 14th

Ubuntu.
Github repo in progress.
Sublime text

Optimal Locations and Divvy Demand

Python for Data Analysis.

Simple is better than complex.
William M. S.
user 184998537
Chicago, IL
Stephen is an analytics mastermind who is not afraid of the cold and enjoys long bike rides. William is a trader who thinks he is a mastermind (what trader doesn't!) and is ready to take his programming skills from basic to a bit better than basic. Did I mention Stephen was patient.

To be able to consider myself a intermediate python programmer- my definition being I can tackle a problem efficiently with a solution that can be applied generally to a process and structure that is scalable.
Once a week on Wed mornings. Email contact planned in between.
Setting up github.
Tactical Trading Analytics or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
This is not an article but this YouTube channel has been my go to for quick python tutorials the past month. https://www.youtube.c...­
Now is better than never.
Although never is often better than *right* now.