addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Raleigh Weekday Outdoor Activity Group Message Board › Pacific Northwest Trip in 2013

Pacific Northwest Trip in 2013

A former member
Post #: 143
I'm thinking about organizing a 10-14-day trip in the Pac NW next summer (2013). I lived there for several years and am familiar with much of the area. There is so much we could do in and west of the Cascades from Mount Rainier down to northern California. The region is very ecologically diverse and blessed with spectacular scenery and a host of county, state, and national parks. I'd like to get a sense of what hikers would want to do.
Examples:

- extended backpacking trip for experienced backpackers (say, on the Pacific Crest Trail that follows the Cascade Mountains, or the Wonderland Trail that circles Mount Rainier),
- day hiking in a variety of scenic areas (involves much traveling and car-camping in county/state/national park campgrounds getting from one scenic wonder to the next)
- some mix of backpacking and day hiking/car camping

It would not be cheap -- figure $750 or so for airfare, share of rental car expenses, campground fees (~$20/night/tent on average), food, renting or buying gear. Insurance would be required and extra if you do not have it.

Please let me know your thoughts/preferences. Maybe if there is sufficient interest, we can do it.
Chip

--------------------------------------­----------------------------------------­-
This sounds like a fantastic idea! For those on a limited budget you are more than welcome to carpool with me in my RV (class C motorhome) but your overnight lodging would be in a tent or cabin (in case of bad weather) at an RV campground. During waking hours the RV would be used communally (kitchen, A/C, etc.). The RV can accommodate 6 in transit but only sleeps 2 comfortably; will allow 3 boarders in case of inclement weather (one hiker would sleep between the 2 convertible single beds when the slide-out is extended). I may or may not tow a 2 door Chevy Cavalier that seats 4 (most likely not).

I prefer option #2 in that we would cover a lot of ground and see the most for our dollar. Option #3 is acceptable if we limit the number of out-&-back hikes to a minimum thus a shuttle system would be required. If option #1 is selected I would prefer the Wonderland Trail. I may look into climbing Mt. Rainier with a local outfitter in a group setting (includes instruction in Alpine climbing, guides, etc.).

For those desiring to carpool with me in the RV we most likely will not share the gas (unless $4.50+ per gallon) but we may share the driving. We'll figure it out in 2013.
JD Hdez