Location visible to members
Length 5 miles
Duration: about 4 hours
This loop hike is awesome. The loop is entirely within the Bearfort Mt Natural Area. It starts out by going up a gradual climb to Terrace Pond, a secluded lake on top of Bearfort Mt. There are some cool cliffs around the lake. Along the rout you pass some neat rock formations and glacial erratics. There are also some great rock scrambles. There area has some great forest consisting of Hemlocks, Beach trees, Stripped Maples, Tamarack trees, Mt Laurel, Yellow and Gray Birch, and Rhododendrons. I also discovered some waterfalls off the Terrace Pond South trail. You have to follow outlet of swamp and the Falls are there. Here are the trails to take: Blue Terrace Pond North, to White Terrace Pond, to Yellow Terrace Pond South. Please note: this is a moderate hike, the first climb is hard and after many ups and downs with lots of rock scrambles both up and down. length of hike is about 5 miles time is about 4 hours.
1. From I-287, take exit 52B for NJ 23 North.
2. Continue on NJ 23 North for 10 miles.
3. Turn right onto Clinton Rd.
4. Continue on Clinton Rd for 7.3 miles.
5. Parking area P7 is on the left just after the entrance to the Wildcat Environmental Center.