ATTENTION: You must register through Eventbrite for this meetup BEFORE 12:00p on Tuesday, September 11.
*** Please review the MISO security procedures observed for this Meetup session ***
When will you deliver that feature? How much will this project cost? What can I have right now? All of these are reasonable questions that both management and customers want answered.
The problem is that when developers try to answer these questions, often more harm than good results. Estimates turn into commitments, dollars are committed based on misinformation, and all parties involved end up feeling cheated and confused.
Ryan Ripley explains that the #NoEstimates movement is a critical look at how estimates are used in the software industry. Are estimates needed at all? Is getting better at estimates a worthwhile goal?
If we do not provide estimates, how do we stay aligned with our management and customers? Leave with a better understanding of how estimates can lead to dysfunction, how to change the conversation toward metrics and measures that matter, and how all of this impacts your ability to deliver high quality products that delight your customers.
A professional Scrum trainer with Scrum.org, Ryan Ripley has experience as a software developer, manager, director, and ScrumMaster at various Fortune 500 companies in the medical device, wholesale, and financial services industries. Ryan is committed to helping teams break the cycle of “bad Scrum” so they can deliver valuable software that delights their customers. The host of "Agile for Humans," the top agile podcast on iTunes, Ryan lives in Indiana with his wife, Kristin, and three children. He blogs at ryanripley.com and is on Twitter @ryanripley.
Ryan is a noted speaker and travels internationally to present on the Scrum and Agile topics. Most recently he's presented at the following events:
• Derby City Agile - Louisville, KY
• KEYNOTE - Agile Dev West 2018 - Las Vegas, NV
• Path to Agility 2018 - Columbus, OH
• Agile and Beyond 2018 - Ann Arbor, MI
• Agile Indy 2018 - Indianapolis, IN
• KEYNOTE - CodepaLOUsa 2018 - Louisville, KY
• Agile 2017 - Orlando Florida
• KEYNOTE - Agile Africa 2017 - Johannesburg, South Africa
• 5:30pm: Doors open - Registration, Networking, Food
• 6:00pm: Welcome and Intro
• 6:30pm: Featured Speaker
• 7:45pm: Wrap-up and Raffle
• 8:00pm: Adjourn - Post meeting networking & cocktails
• What to bring
• Important to know
*** Meeting at MISO Security Procedures ***
We are still working with MISO regarding new security procedures in development at MISO. For this month;
1) You must register through Eventbrite (see link above) if you are attending the meeting. Registration will be closed on Tuesday, 11Sep2018 at 12 Noon. There will be no walk-ins permitted
2) The Meetup registration list will be provided to MISO security as a checklist. You will need to sign-in when you arrive and sign-out when you depart for the evening.
3) You will be asked to produce a picture ID for the MISO security as part of the verification process to confirm the registration.
4) By 8:30P everyone will need to be out of the building and leave the MISO parking lot. No loitering in the parking lot.
Make your way to the storypoint location for those after meeting discussions.