Let's explore Historic Fredericksburg and Government Island!
• What we'll do:
- We'll depart from the Franconia-Springfield Metro Station at 9:10 am and drive to Riverfront Park in Fredericksburg.
- At about 10 am, we'll go for a walk around Historic Fredericksburg. Starting from Riverfront Park, we'll follow the "Fire in the Streets (https://tinyurl.com/ychz7luo)" and "Assault on Marye's Heights (https://tinyurl.com/yaek77ep)" tour routes, and then the Sunken Road/National Cemetery Loop Trail (https://tinyurl.com/y8bt97xy). This part of the event is about 4 miles and should take about 2.5 hours. Trail surfaces are mostly paved; uphill to the National Cemetery and downhill back to Riverfront Park. Google map: http://tinyurl.com/j93p2aj
- From Riverfront Park we'll get back in our cars, drive to Government Island, and tour the island. Starting from the Government Island Park Entrance, we'll visit the 18th and 19th century quarry site that provided Aquia sandstone for the construction of the U.S. Capitol, the White House, and other historic buildings in Washington, D.C. This part of the event is about 1.5 miles and should take about an hour. The surface is boardwalks and dirt paths with some hills.
- After touring Government Island we'll get back in our cars and return to Franconia-Springfield Matro Station, arriving at 3 to 4pm.
• How to get there:
- To get to the Metro Station meetup point: The Franconia-Springfield Metro Station is on the Blue and Yellow lines. To get to the Franconia-Springfield Metro Kiss and Ride Lot from the I-495 Capital Beltway (either direction), take exit 169A-169B to merge onto VA-644 E/Franconia Rd and drive 1.7 miles. Use the right two lanes to turn slightly right onto Franconia Rd E and drive east for 0.4 miles. Turn right onto Frontier Dr and drive south for 0.6 miles. Follow the signs for the Kiss and Ride Lot at the east side of the parking garage, past all the bus stops, GPS[masked], [masked].
- To get to Riverfront Park in Fredericksburg: The street address is 731 Sophia St, Fredericksburg, VA 22401; GPS[masked], [masked]. Get onto I-95S via Frontier Drive and follow I-95 S to US-17 BUS S/Warrenton Rd in Hartwood. Take exit 133A from I-95 S (33 minutes/36.0 miles). Follow US-17 BUS S and Princess Anne St to Sophia St in Fredericksburg (11 minutes/3.8 miles. See https://goo.gl/maps/5vVQtiD58sv
- To get to Government Island from Riverfront Park: The street address is 198 Coal Landing Rd, Stafford, VA 22554; GPS[masked], [masked]. Exit right from the park onto Sophia St and drive NW until Sophia turns left and becomes Pitt St. Turn right onto Caroline St, drive 2 blocks and turn left onto Herdon St. At the next intersection turn right onto Princess Anne. Follow Princess Anne to US-1 N, turn right, and drive 9.9 miles north. Turn right onto Coal Landing Rd. The park entrance will be on your left in 0.7 miles. See https://goo.gl/maps/g1Jfq3GMoHR2
• What to bring: Water, comfy shoes, and your furry friend if desired. (Leashes, please.) Sunscreen, cool shades, and the layered look are recommended. A snack might be a good idea if we don't have time to stop for lunch.
• Weather: The forecast is partly cloudy and a high of 44F. Updates here: http://tinyurl.com/jekf63a
• Advisory: As a reminder, this is an adult group, and you are ultimately responsible for your own safety and well-being during events. No one under 18 years of age is allowed at this event, either as members or as guests, to include babies in carriers and/or strollers.
• Administrative stuff: There are restrooms at the Fredericksburg Visitor Center, the Fredericksburg National Battlefield Visitor Center, and there is a porta-john at Government Island Park.
- Fredericksburg Visitor Center, 706 Caroline St, Fredericksburg, VA 22401, (540)[masked].
- Fredericksburg Battlefield Visitor Center, 1013 Lafayette Blvd, Fredericksburg, VA 22401, (540)[masked].
- Riverfront Park, 731 Sophia St, Fredericksburg, VA 22401, GPS[masked], [masked].
- Government Island Park, 198 Coal Landing Rd, Stafford, VA 22554, GPS[masked], [masked]. http://tinyurl.com/jmgcytk