addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Algorithms and Data Structures Message Board › NYC ACM - where are those guys?

NYC ACM - where are those guys?

A former member
Post #: 20
Does anyone have an INDEX for the "Collected algorithms from ACM. I have owned Volume I (algorithms 1-220) and Volume II (algorithms 221-492).

At Metpath [c. 1980], we re-wrote a FORTRAN algorithm into IBM RPS PL/I to determine the Day of the Week.

It was important as we did not want any confusion as to when BLOOD samples were measured, seeing
as the staff worked through midnight.

I can't find it and it's too exhausting to search for it by hand. It would sure help if the Book was on line
and I could do a text search.

Does anyone know what number it is? You can try guessing between 1 and 492.

Also, does anyone have a quick or simple algorithm for which Sunday Easter occurs. They asked
me to do that at the CENTER for Medical Informatics at Columbia University, and write it in Standard
C.

Here's a clue from the wikipedia.

Sometimes, I wonder why bother?

A former member
Post #: 21
actually I found the answer to the first part.

It was in the inside cover of my VOLUME I, COLLECTED ALGORITHMS FROM ACM, ALGORITHMS 1-220,
"a COLLECTION OF THE FIRST 220 ALGORITHMS, INCLUDING CERTIFICATIONS, REMARKS, AND
TRANSACTIONS FROM THE ALGORITHMS DEPARTMENT OF COMMUNICATIONS OF THE ACM,1960-
1963", 1980, acm, isbn 0-89791-017-6

algorithm 199. conversions between calendar date and julian day
number, robert c. tantzen, air force missile development center, holloman AFB, New Mex.

procedure JDAY (d, m, y, j) [when transcribing JDAY for "other compilers", be sure that integers
of size 3 x 10 to the SIXTH POWER [hey, guess what? I almost typed 10**8 because I can't read fine
print any more. smile ]

procedure JDATE (j, d ,m, y)
COMMENT "... without using tables". SAME WARNING HOLDS ABOUT SIZE OF THE LARGEST INTEGER"

procedure KDAY (d, m, ya, k)
COMMENT "to serial day number k";

UNFORTUNATELY. "the procedure is valid from 1 March 1900 (k=1) to 31 December 1999 (k=36465).
To obtain the Julian day number j (valid at noon)
Use j = k + 2415079

procedure KDATE (k, d, m, ya)
COMMENT " "the procedure is valid from 1 March 1900 (k=1) to 31 December 1999 (k=36465).
To obtain the Julian day number j (valid at noon) for any one century. For the 20th Century
the relation between k and theulian day number j (at noon) is j = k + 2415079

Also note:
Additional remarks on algorithm 52: a set of test matrices
by P Naur - 1963

..... Century the relation between k and theulian day number

] ...
portal.acm.org/ft_gateway.cfm?id=36755­9&type=pdf

Devon M.
user 4708227
New York, NY
Post #: 2
Doug -

here's an article on a simple Easter calculation: http://www.vector.org...­ . The code is in APL but the algorithm is outlined in its original - it dates from 1867 - simple, tabular form.

Hope this helps,

Devon