addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Alternative Energy Meetup Message Board › Fuel Cells

Fuel Cells

Bill
user 2341848
New York, NY
Post #: 146
To use renewable energy for transportation, there are problems in the way. Batteries are too heavy and too expensive and don't work that well, a car can't get much range on them. Furthermore, making batteries takes its toll on the environment, as does disposing of them.

One possible way to store energy more densely and cheaply than batteries is to store hydrogen. The problem with hydrogen is you can't run a normal internal combustion engine on it. In a normal internal combustion energy, a small amount of gasoline is mixed with air and burned. It explodes, and the products of that explosion are MUCH bigger than the air and gasoline you started out with. You do this in a little chamber called a cylinder, and the much bigger gas inside now pushes against one wall of the chamber and moves it back, and the transmission translates this pushing into pushing your wheels around.

The problem with burning hydrogen is the reaction goes

2H2 + O2 -> 2H20

So if you had 3 liters of hydrogen and oxygen at the beginning, you get two liters of steam at the end. So you get slight suction instead of a big explosion. No way you can run a car on that.

One solution to the hydrogen problem is to use fuel cells that will react the hydrogen and oxygen in a way that produces electricity. Unfortunately, this has normally required EXTREMELY expensive materials like platinum. So they could use fuel cell in, like, the space program to run the Apollo life support, but there's no way everyone could afford one for their car.

This paper sounds like they're making significant strides toward a more economical fuel cell.
http://tinyurl.com/69...­

-- Bill

The D.
user 67271862
Blue Point, NY
Post #: 2
Hello Bill
i have built many different types of hydrogen cells both dry and wet.
So far the most ive been able to gain is up to 13 miles per gallon. i have a video on HHO at you tube.
If your interested type in dahduke
also ive created a theatrical solution to the electric car deep cell battery problem
i do not have the funding for R&D , i also do not own an electric car to create my prototype with
but i have no doubt my solution will work.
most people are focused on the battery storage and life i went in a different direction.