addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

United Animal Advocates of LA Message Board › Cats as experiments in high schools

Cats as experiments in high schools

A former member
Post #: 1
Dear All,

I just learned a sad fact from my 17yr old cousin during the hollidays....it took me a while to talk and write about it... he is in a public high school in the East Coast: They anatomize cats for their biology or anatomy class. It used to be a frog which is still a sad fact... but now they use cats from animal shelters.

Why do they need live animals to study anatomy??? I could learn anatomy from colorful drawings/pictures, or I remember: once in a while biology teacher in the old days brought in some old jar with formalin and a preserved dead animal inside... but this is gruesome: each student gets a cat several times a year just anatomize it... those poor kitties deserved a better life than end up in a 17 yr old desk.

We have to stop this!!!!!

Any idea what can we do? I am not sure but probably it is happening here too...

Rita
A former member
Post #: 1
this is horrible :( how are these schools able to get the cat bodies at all?!?
why do we need to learn animal anatomy in high school at all? and it's not like dissecting one animal once will teach you all there is to know about anatomy, especially human anatomy. all i remember from dissecting the poor frog (other than not wanting to do it) is how gelatinous it was. especially animal anatomy... why would i need to know where a frog's lungs are?! i wonder if the curriculum people would respond to this sort of reasoning