addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Ann Arbor Area RPG & D&D Group Message Board › Apocalypse World/Dungeon World/Monsterhearts/Monster of the Week group?

Apocalypse World/Dungeon World/Monsterhearts/Monster of the Week group?

Christopher H.
user 103861502
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 3
I am interested in putting together a group (or joining an existing one) for either the tabletop RPG Apocalypse World or any of the other games that use the same basic system. Apocalypse World has a fast and simple resolution system*, is easy to learn (it's not really necessary to read the rulebook before playing, unless you're the MC (GM/DM/storyteller/whatever), and focuses on difficult choices and dealing with scarcity over killing the bad guys and taking their stuff . . . while still letting characters do quite a bit of killing the bad guys and taking their stuff, if they're so inclined.

I would prefer to be a player, but I have read the full book, and am happy to take a stab at being the MC if no one else wants to. I am also potentially interested in playing any of the other games that use the same basic system, but am less certain about running them, as I have not read any of their rulebooks:
-Dungeon World fuses the resolution mechanics and character interactions of Apocalypse World with a good old-fashioned dungeon crawl.
-Monsterhearts explores teenage alienation, made worse by all the characters being some sort of monster.
-Monster of the Week lets characters hunt the things that go bump in the night.

I have both played and DMed before (though neither as much as I'd like), but this will be my first time playing any of these games. Date, time, and frequency are fairly flexible, although weekend afternoons are probably optimal for me. Anyone interested?

*All moves follow the pattern: Roll 2d6+relevant stat (occasionally +some modifier):
-On a 10+, something good happens
-On a 7-9, something kinda good and kinda bad happens
-On a 6 or below, something seriously bad happens,
with the details of what each of those possibilities actually entails varying wildly from move to move.
Christopher H.
user 103861502
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 4
And here's the back-cover pitch for Apocalypse World:

Something's wrong with the world and I don't know what it is.

It used to be better, of course it did. In the golden age of legend, when there was enough to eat and enough hope, when there was one nation under god and people could lift their eyes and see beyond the horizon, beyond the day. Children were born happy and grew up rich.

Now that's not what we've got. Now we've got this. Hardholders stand against the screaming elements and all comers, keeping safe as many as they can. Angels and savvyheads run constant battle against there's not enough and bullets fly and everything breaks. Hocuses gather people around them, and are they protectors, saviors, visionaries, or just wishful thinkers? Choppers, gunluggers and battlebabes carve out what they can and defend it with blood and bullets. Drivers and operators search and scavenge, looking for that opportunity, that one perfect chance. Skinners remember beauty, or invent beauty anew, cup it in their hands and whisper come and see, and don't worry now about what it will cost you. And brainers, oh, brainers see what none of the rest of us will: the world's psychic maelstrom, the terrible desperation and hate pressing in at the edge of all perception, it is the world now.

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Jim C.
user 3508444
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 140
Not many people read this forum. If you want join the Facebook group here. https://www.facebook....­

Jim
Christopher H.
user 103861502
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 5
Ah, thank you for the information. Is the mailing list that's also under "Discussions" a good way to reach people, or am I best sticking to the Facebook group?
Jim C.
user 3508444
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 141
Ah, thank you for the information. Is the mailing list that's also under "Discussions" a good way to reach people, or am I best sticking to the Facebook group?
The best way is to come to a meetup and meet people. We don't really use the mailing list unless there is a last minute cancellation of a meetup.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Jim
Laura M.
Alyksandrei
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 20
I'd be interested ... Or, if you like, we could try Fate as a system. Post it on FB and see if anyone else is interested.
Christopher H.
user 103861502
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 6
I'd be interested ... Or, if you like, we could try Fate as a system. Post it on FB and see if anyone else is interested.
Posted here: https://www.facebook....­ Thanks for the suggestion.

Do you know when you would likely be available? I'm a doctoral student, so I have a lot of work to do, but not all that many hard constraints on my schedule. That said, weekend afternoons are probably easiest.

I don't know a lot about Fate, but I might be interested in trying it out some time . . . but probably as a player rather than a GM. Are you contemplating running a Fate game of some sort?
Laura M.
Alyksandrei
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 21
I'm generally available weekend afternoons as well, but meetup saturdays are for meetup (we can still run the group there!) and I'm in a dnd campaign which also meets on a saturday afternoon - once a month, with no set schedule. Lately we've been the third saturday, but that can change without notice.

I'm definitely interested in GMing Fate. I've got a setting I'm building and everything. I just need a group to work with so I can finish it (that's how Fate works - you build the setting, non-core mechanics, and story together.) You can get it free here (it's "pay what you want" for the ebook versions; there's a link to the free download on the product page): http://www.evilhat.co...­ (for Fate Core) and http://www.evilhat.co...­ (for Fate Accelerated).

I've never actually played Fate, though, so being a new GM and learning a new system will be interesting.
Christopher H.
user 103861502
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 7
Cool. Do you have any idea how likely it is that this month's meetup will actually happen? Because I might try to find or throw together a one-shot/introductory adventure if it's happening, but it seems to currently be tentatively canceled.

I took a look at FAE, and it seems like it could be fun. Do you know whether you're planning to run FAE or Fate Core? The two appear to be similar but incompatible. And what is the general nature of the setting you're thinking about?
Aaron A.
user 50153632
Whitmore Lake, MI
Post #: 2
August is cancelled unless someone speaks up to host it...and nothing has been posted about a volunteer in the meetup.