addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Ann Arbor Area RPG & D&D Group Message Board › Almost ready to play again

Almost ready to play again

scott
Palintear
Ypsilanti, MI
Post #: 2
Iv been hesitant to start playing, because its been so long.
But i just got layed off for a month maybe 2 & i need to get out of the house.
So i'm open to anyone who might need a player ( any time--any day)
I hear there's a 4th edition shock Do i just need a new players manual? Any suggestions will be helpful
since the set of books i have are "Copy right 1978"

Scott

aka..Palintear
Brian S.
Alberand
Garden City, MI
Post #: 137
There is indeed a new 4th edition which has two players handbooks and a number of other supplements out already (it was released last June), but you can get what you need to create and play a character from just the first PHB. They have adopted a new method of intentionally releasing a new PHB, Monster Manual, and Dungeon Master's Guide every year or so to keep new, fresh core game material available.

I personally like the new system a lot because it simplifies the skill system greatly from 3rd edition, is very easy to pick up and play, balances the classes fairly well, and emphasizes the "coolness" and abilities of the character moreso than the coolness of the items they are carrying.

Many of the folks in the group here are partial to 3rd edition, which is definitely more complex, but also has a much wider variety of material available courtesy of a decade and some in print, along with the SRD and openness to 3rd-party publications. 4e also has 3rd party support, but from what I understand it is more restrictive and there aren't as many companies putting out material.

I run a 4th ed. game at the meetups, and there is usually a 3e game open as well. If you want to check out either of them, just show up and join in!

I believe Austin was also trying to start up a regular 4th ed. game, although I'm not sure if he's got a full group yet.
scott
Palintear
Ypsilanti, MI
Post #: 3
thanks for your input, you seem very knowledgeable
ill take everything into consideration
iv been invited to join a 1st ed game out in Jackson & i said id be there
but im still open to any others out there that might need a player

thanks again

scott

aka..Palintear