addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Ann Arbor Area RPG & D&D Group Message Board › 4ed questions

4ed questions

A former member
Post #: 3
I've been trying as hard as I can to figure out as much as possible on my own but there are just a few things I can't seem to figure out on my own, so here are a few questions and I'll post more as more problems arise.

1. About how many pounds should a 5'8'' Eladrin weigh?

2. Is it mandatory to follow a particular god? I've looked over the standard character sheet and it doesn't even have a place for what god you follow, but I know for at least one class, the paladin, you need to have a stated god for particular abilities. Could it be possible to build a paladin that doesn't use any abilities reliant on a god, in other words, could you have a paladin that does not follow a god?

3. Are bloodlines part of ed4 yet? I've looked over various character sheets and builders and they mention vampire/dhampyr bloodline options, but I looked over information on 3/3.5ed and there were many more. Are other bloodlines not available yet? I know that the DM decides the origins of your bloodline, but can you choose to have a bloodline or is that also up to the DM? Where on the standard character sheet do you mention bloodlines and bloodline bonuses if you have one?

4. How much HP do the artifices for artificers have, for instance obedient servant, swift mender or phantom structure? Do they all have the same amount of HP? Are they based off of any particular stat of yours? I've read the information in the eberron guide and it doesn't mention how much HP the artifices have, but then there is an ability, reinforced minion, to give the artifices evasion from attack, so I assume they can be attacked, which means they either have HP or they crumble after one hit. Is it supposed to be assumed they only have 1 HP?

5. In the eberron guide it says that you get a class feature for ritual casting as an artificer, and in the adventurer's vault it says if you have ritual caster as a feature you can swap it for alchemy. Does alchemy then become a class feature, or do you still claim ritual caster feature with alchemy as a bonus feat? When you have the ritual caster feature you are given a book and mastery over 4 rituals, but if you swap it with alchemy it doesn't say you get anything. Does that mean you are out of luck in getting mastery over 4 alchemy (transmutations?), is it mentioned somewhere else, or is it at the DM's discretion?
Doug W.
user 10846550
Franklin, MI
Post #: 39
Hey man,

What books do you have? do you have the WotC character creator?

you can get the WotC builder here: http://www.wizards.co...­

It will help you by setting everything up for you and giving you a printable character sheet that has everything on it.

Now to answer your questions.

1) In the very beginning of each race's section is the height and weight range. So an Eladrin should weigh between 130-180lbs. just pick a number between those and you should be just fine.

2) It is not mandatory to follow any God. There are some exceptions to this, The Cleric, the Paladin and any other class that involves using anything the word "divine" should pick a deity to worship. The slot to put your deity is right next to alignment on the character sheet in the back of The Player's Handbook.

3) They have backgrounds that you can use, information for those is available in the character builder. With backgrounds though, you should have an extensive back story written up that explains everything , not just a sentence saying what your backgrounds are.

4) I quote from Eberron Player's Guide "The artifice's defense is equal to your level +4, and it has hit points equal to your healing surge value. If an artifice is dropped to zero hit points or is consumed, It is destroyed." What that is saying is that the defense of the artificer is you level +4. If you are a level 4 artificer, it's defense is 8 (lvl: 4 + 4 = 8) The hit points are the healing surge value, which is 1/4 your total hit point value. if you have an Artificer with 50 hp, then the artificer has 25 hit points.

5) I don't know the answer to this question. You could just take the Ritual Spellcaster bonus feat, then select the alchemy feat as your first level feat, thus keeping both on par with each other. Ask your DM for his discretion about it and you should be fine.
A former member
Post #: 4
Thanks, and I figured out another question.

6. Components: one of my class features as an artificer is components, which means I can use different things to create artifices after an extended rest, and that I can prepare whatever components are needed. Does this mean I have to have certain items in order to summon artifices, or that it is assumed I have those items? Do they in any way affect the nature of the artifice?
A former member
Post #: 82
Doug was actually pretty dead on. Great job Doug-ie!

As far as the 5th and 6th questions go... Mind you, that certain gain "free" Rituals, such as Druids - Animal Messenger and another level 1 of their choice. This does not transfer over to alchemy if you so choose to do so during character creation. However, if you're characters theme/background is alchemy, by all means... Do so. I'm more about the flavor then anything, so I, as a DM, would make a small deal w/ you. (Get one for free for every two you'd lose; or etc.)

As far as components go... You can cast any Ritual you KNOW for free w/out a Component cost tacked on it, to do it. Say the Ritual was a Scroll you had, then you'd need to buy the Components as well. If it's written in your Book... It's free. If it's a Scroll... Additional cost.

I may be wrong as I have not truly looked over the Ritual rules and what-not, but that's my guess at this point. I'll read them now.

-J.
Brian S.
Alberand
Garden City, MI
Post #: 177
1. Already answered correctly; Such info is included in the main stat block for each race. Regardless, a 5'8" eladrin should generally weigh exactly how much the player wants him/her to weigh, or how much you as a DM feel is appropriate for how you picture your NPC. wink

2. This depends entirely on the setting and house rules of the particular game you play in. Most of the divine classes are encouraged to follow a particular god, but there is no requirement in the base PHB/PHB2 RAW. The only catch is that many channel divinity feats are associated with one or another god/goddess, but there is really nothing stopping you from choosing them independently of what deity you follow unless your DM says you can't. A paladin could simply believe strongly in their own morale code, or that of some other non-divine organization. Their power could be developed in any other way you might imagine other than divine influence. Perhaps through meditation and focus, sheer force of will, some ritual they found in an old book and do not fully understand, etc.

3. In 4th edition, bloodlines are feats, but I do not believe they have released more than the couple that you mentioned thus far. Perhaps you could find more from a third party publisher like Goodman Games, or just find some bloodlines you liked from 3rd ed. and craft feats of similar scope and power to the existing ones to use in your 4th edition game.

4. Not sure; think it was already answered by someone more familiar with the class than me.

5. Some classes such as Wizard are granted Ritual Caster feat for free as a class feature. These classes may chose Alchemist instead of Ritual Caster, not in addition to. A character that wants to be both a ritual caster and alchemist can get one for free, but must spend a feat slot to get the other. Note that only applies to classes that get the full blown Ritual Caster feat, such as the Wizard, and not to those that only get a handful of rituals they can use. If Artificer gets Ritual Caster as a class feature, you can trade it out for Alchemist instead. As far as I know, you do not get any alchemical formulas automatically, but they are much cheaper to buy than ritual books.

Regarding Rituals

Casting rituals, even those you know, has a cost associated with it. Each ritual entry has a market price and a component cost. The market price is how much it takes to walk into a shop and say "I would like to purchase a book/scroll of Water Breathing, please." This gets the book or scroll into your possession. To use the ritual, from a book or a scroll, you must pay the component cost using an appropriate type of reagent. These are as follows:

"Alchemical Reagents" for Arcana.
"Mystic Salves" for Healing.
"Rare Herbs" for Nature.
"Sanctified Incense" for Religion.

But really, why care when you can use "Residuum" to perform ANY ritual, as well as to create magic items, easily store vast amounts of wealth as a vial of fine powder, and give your 5-alarm chili that extra kick you were looking for? Per RAW, residuum is not available on the open market and can only be obtained by destroying magic items, but that is at the discretion of your DM.

I personally hate this kind of unnecessary bookkeeping, especially when it stifles player creativity because they are short 5gp worth of some stupid reagent or another to do something cool, so I let them subtract the appropriate amount from their personal gold (or the pool of party treasure if it benefits the group) and go on about casting the ritual. The only exception is if it's a special ritual that facilitates some story point, and obtaining the reagents is part of the store.

When it comes to casting a ritual, you either must have mastered it, or you must have a scroll containing it. These work a little bit differently from one another.

To master a ritual you must study it for 8 uninterrupted hours. If you spent the time to copy it into your ritual book (which takes 8 hours for heroic tier rituals, 16 hours for paragon, 24 hours for epic), this counts as your 8 hours to master it, and you can use it right away. For example, if your 5th level character finds a book containing six rituals you do not already know, it would take 8 hours to master each ritual in turn, then you could cast them from that book. You might as well take 8 hours per to copy them into another book (for backup), which also counts as mastering them, and now you have a backup copy.

In my games, I do not bother keeping track of this stuff unless a player finds a new ritual in the middle of a dungeon and wants to use it right away. Even then, I will usually allow a check to pull it off if their idea is creative enough. However, those are the Rules As Written.

Ritual scrolls work a little bit differently. A scroll is like a 1-charge wand. It is purchased for the same market price as a ritual book. However, you cannot master or copy a ritual from a scroll. You must also pay the component cost in residuum (it's just easier), or in Arabian dromedary fleas, bullywug wart extract, and Mike's Mystical Magic Smelling Powders if you prefer. So why use a ritual scroll? It only works once, you can't copy it, and you get fleas infesting your armpits. Yuck! Well, the reasons are simple. It only takes half the time to cast a ritual from a scroll, the level of the ritual is irrelevant (you can only master rituals up to your own level), and ANYONE can do it. Yes, even the stupid 2nd level fighter with a house-ruled intelligence of 4 and no thumbs can summon a portal to the 5th Plane of Infinite Bodily Functions (because where else is a dumbass fighter with no thumbs going to want to go?), just as long as they have the appropriate scroll in their possession and half the requisite casting time to spend doing it. Oh yes, also, the scroll crumbles into dust when you're done, which is far more dramatic than closing a book and saying "OK kids, story time is over, now go to bed!"

Ok, that was long. I'm going to quit typing now, but let us know if you have any more questions or if by some miracle my asinine examples failed to make something perfectly clear that no one else has done a better job explaining yet.

Well, one more thing. You seem to be fairly new to 4th edition. If I might offer a suggestion, get your group together, make characters using only the first PHB, and play through a short adventure (even a one-shot), before creating characters for an ongoing campaign. You can forego role-playing, backstories, etc. Just kill some things, take their stuff, and talk through the mechanics as you're doing it. This will expose most player's disagreements about how things should work, address any large misconceptions about the rule system, and allow everyone to get a basic understanding of how characters are built and advanced, and how skills, powers, feats, rituals, equipment, and pizza all fit together at a basic level before you start layering on stuff from the other books.

Granted, 4th edition is not NEARLY as bad as 3rd for that, because most of the additional subsystems follow the basic rules (or at least stay pretty close), but it still helps to have a firm grasp of the basic game before you dive into the fancy stuff.

Done now. Good luck! biggrin
A former member
Post #: 86
@ the above poster:

Good man. That's a wall of text, but that was what I was going to finish w/ for Max tonight before reading yours. So... What he said. I read the rulings on it and I agree w/ them.

-J.