• Directions: pls plug on google map.
GPS coordinates (Smithfield):[masked] [masked]-->meet-up/shuttle pick-up
• Free portage Kayak trip c/o PONY Parks & Services : Donation/Tip to driver encouraged.
• MANDATORY PARKING FEE: $10
• Meet at Smithfield Beach Access#4 for transport/portage to Bushkill #6 (launch site). Limited kayak capacity.
• Shuttle pick-up at 9:08 am. So be prompt & plan your route getting there. If late, your only option is to proceed to Bushkill and personally arrange for a ride back there. This is your only option to kayak w/ the grp.
GPS Coordinates (Bushkill):[masked], [masked]--->use if you are late/waitlisted & has arranged a ride back to Bushkill
• Make sure to see me to sign the waiver form prior to launching.
• Distance: 10 miles
• Duration: 3-4 hrs
• Mostly Class 1 Rapids: Very small rough areas, requires no maneuvering. (Skill Level: None)
• Lots of Class 2: Some rough water, maybe some rocks, small drops, might require maneuvering. (Skill Level: Basic Paddling Skill)
• Scattered showers ok, thunderstorm cancels
• Rentals are not available unless you arrange for one http://businessfinder.lehighvalleylive.com/PA-Easton/Canoe-and-Kayak
WHAT TO BRING:
• Your own kayak
• whistle, bilge pump/kayak spray skirt/paddle floatation device etc.
• Up to date PA-launch permit (whether a PA resident or not--see below)
• PFD (life vest)
• Sunscreen, snack/lots of water, binoculars /camera (optional)
This trip is a class 1 &2 basic paddling skill & maneuvering flat-waters and couple of obstructions, constrictions & the resultant class 2 rapids. Overall, more fun esp. if you stay where the manageable turbulence are ie. sides or close to obstructions/stones/islands.
However, safety is impt. Hence, ability to pull yourself and your stranded vessel out of limestone rocks & submerged ledges are impt. The banks on both sides offer a few places to upright a kayak in case of a extensive vessel water or even a rollover which is probable but, unusual in this trip.
Smithfield Beach is located on River Road about seven miles north of the town of Delaware Water Gap, PA, and offers a grassy beach complete with picnic areas, restrooms, a boat launch, a canoe launch, and access to the Joseph M. McDade Recreational Trail.
Bushkill Beach is strictly a fishing, boat/canoe launch site.
Dick's Sporting Goods (pls call ist to check availability as they easily ran-out)
Muellers Country Store & restaurant -3200 S Delaware Dr, Easton, PA 18042
DISCLAIMER: Participation in activities is strictly voluntary and group members assume all risks in connection with activities; per Meetup.com's Terms of Service Agreements, organizers and hike/trip leaders are released from any and all forms of liability related to events. You are responsible for bringing the proper gear including kayak/canoe, PA launch permit, PFD etc. and can moderate in and out of the water by swimming.