addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

The Asheville Paranormal Society Message Board The Asheville Paranormal Society Discussion Forum › Arrests made at the old VA building

Arrests made at the old VA building

Sarah H.
owlwoman555
Group Organizer
Asheville, NC
Post #: 811
I received this email from a police officer. There have been recent arrests due to breaking and entering at the old VA bulding, so be warned!

Hello Ms. Harrison,

My name is Brian Walsh. I am a Police Officer at the VA
Hospital in Asheville. I'm sure you have probably heard of the
abandoned building on Riceville Road, across from the VA
Hospital and Evergreen Ridge Apartments. This building is
rumored as being haunted by ghosts. Perhaps many of your forum
members have heard of this building as well.

Please inform your readers and members to please stay away from
this building. This is federal property and is posted with no
trespassing signs. Lately we have apprehended several people
breaking into the building in order to ghost hunt, etc. 5 were
apprehended just this morning. This building is dangerous. It
is full of asbestos and has floors that are weak or rotten. We
simply do not want to see anyone hurt or killed. If someone was
to become injured, we wouldn't know because we don't go inside
unless we have to. We have warned people that we have
apprehended in the past. Now, we are filing criminal charges in
federal court for trespassing and breaking and entering. We
don't want to do that, but things are quickly getting out of
hand and we must do what is necessary to stop it from happening
any further. That is why I am e-mailing you. If you would help
spread the word for people to stay away from this building, I
would greatly appreciate it. I certainly don't want to spoil
anyone's fun, but I don't want to see anyone injured or killed
either. There are plenty of other paranormal places for them to
visit in the area. Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Sincerely,

Brian M. Walsh
A former member
Post #: 300
I certainly hope none of the people busted are OUR people!!!!
A former member
Post #: 203
its not me i be a good ghost hunter.
max
user 2748054
Winston Salem, NC
Post #: 6
I have always wondered where that building was. And no I am not going to go in it, though have thought about it.. Now reading that I won't. It be interesting to see the outside of it. See if I could get any good pics.
A former member
Post #: 1
Would it be okay to take photos of the outside of the buildings? I don't want to go in them, I just need some good shots for my portfolio, and a creepy building behind a fence topped with razor wire would be amazing to hand in to my boss. Thats my only interest in the buildings. So... Would it be okay to take pics of the them as long as I don't go past the fence? The photos would be shot for the online magazine that I work for.
Sarah H.
owlwoman555
Group Organizer
Asheville, NC
Post #: 835
As long as you stay off the property, I don't see any problem. Just don't go past the No Trespassing signs.
A former member
Post #: 7
Kinda like Helens bridge they will get you for being up there. Me and my friends have been and have had slight experiences but nothing substantial or to write home about. I would be interested in investigating the building but not if it is illegal.
Charlie
user 114869222
Asheville, NC
I've been inside the old VA a couple times. This was before they started arresting people. Me and a few friends went in. If you go to the back of the building there is a section of the fence you can get in(probably fixed now) then go to the left and on the side is a door with a small window above it. That's how we got in. Anyways. We were in there for a while. We went through the whole building and didn't see anything or anyone, apparently the homeless like to stay there but not on that night. We went back to the ground floor checking rooms because there were old documents in bathtubs and stuff. All of a sudden we heard really loud foot steps running down the main hall on the second floor. We didn't go investigate cuz it frieghtened the hell out of us haha so we it out of there. Haven't been back since then. There is a light poll inside the fence where you get in through the door that has a camera strapped to it, probably one reason ppl are getting caught and yes the asbestose is caked on the walls. If you go if suggest a respirator or some type of gas mask or just don't disturb the walls and I'm sure if you parked away from the building and stealthed your way up to it that you could get in without being caught.
Jenn B.
user 178537672
Asheville, NC
I have visited the old VA, though this was about 12 years ago going through the whole in the fence as mentioned before. At the time I lived in the LaMancha apartments and a friend of mine and my boyfriend at the time and I thought it would be something fun to do. There was a dirt path from the apartment complex up to the back yard. We walked the path and just before getting to the fence we heard footsteps behind us. We turned and saw this older gentleman (white hair, slower walk) coming up the path behind us. We exchanged pleasantries and allowed him to go in front of us. Just for fun we went the opposite way around the building than he did and coming back around we couldn't find him. For those that aren't familiar with the area, there are woods on either side about 20 yards or so away from the building. Yes, it could be a possibility he got to the side, climbed the fence, and went into the woods, or turned back and left before we had a chance to get to him but I don't find either scenario very likely. We didn't go inside bc even then we knew how unsafe it was structurally inside. I would've go back on the property but keep myself distant from inside.