Celebrate Darwin Day at the Roaring Brook Nature Center
Admission is free and donations will be appreciated to cover costs for the event.
This family friendly Darwin Day is a part of International Darwin Day, an annual event celebrating the birth of Charles Darwin to inspire people throughout the world to reflect and act on the principles of intellectual bravery, perpetual curiosity, scientific thinking, and the hunger for truth as embodied in Charles Darwin.
• Professor Kenneth Noll of UCONN is an expert in evolutionary biology and will portray Charles Darwin.
• Mr. Darwin (Professor Noll) will be available all day to take selfies with attendees, tell stories about Mr. Darwin, and answer questions about Mr. Darwin and evolutionary biology.
• Mr. Darwin will have a story bag from which children may select a box that will contain an item that leads to its story. He will also use many animals and fossils on display to tell stories.
• Mr. Darwin will present a talk on Observing Nature that will be aimed at whatever mix of kids and adults in attendance.
• Roaring Brook Nature Center offers multiple exhibits and activities to teach and entertain children of all ages. This is a great place that celebrates science and encourages observing nature in the ways Charles Darwin did.
• Children’s activities are planned, such as scavenger hunts, fossil displays, coloring handouts.
• There will be cake to share to celebrate the day.